Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Death Star!!!!

Thumbs up

Lets see, ANH Death star accesories made:

Cinema scene 3 Pack (Han, Luke and Chewie), Death Star Chasm, Death star Escape, FX Obi wan and Darth.

ROTJ: Cinema scene 3 pack (Luke, Darth and the emperor), FX Luke and FX Emperor.

Now all we need is a place to fit together all these things.

Im thinking of a resculpt of the vintage Death star, with a diorama ala Jabba's Palace or Cantina. The diorama would be huge, so that we can put the Falcon and in a not so distant future the Imperial shuttle.

Now if a Toy company has reputation of making cool playsets thats hasbro. Remember the USS Carrier from the G.I. Joe line??

Come on hasbro we would buy it!!!! Even if its made in parts.
    As always...........L

Definitely, a separate hangar bay that could connect to the main Death Star playset would be extremely cool. It would be too much to ask for a neon lighted opening, but some kind of glow would be necessary. Removable star backdrop to put in the opening. Polished-look floor, maybe even with pegs everywhere to stand the guys up. Working blast door with corridor for Vader and Ben's fight. Little control room overlooking the whole thing for 3PO and R2. Make it connectable to the other Cinema Scenes and the DS playset to come.

Thumbs up

Lobito got my thought out. Make it sectional. And make lots of sections.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Well, there are 4 wedge shaped sections that go together to make a "ball." If you want a bunch of rooms put together apartment style, that's a whole other thing. As I said in the Star Destroyer post, kids and parents are more likely to buy pricey toys if they look more like what they saw in the movies rather than generic plastic walls.

Hold on guys!

You are getting WAY out of hand with these designs! I mean, yeah, while it would be cool to have all of this stuff you are looking at a playset that would have to measure about 3.5' high and 3' x 3' just for the landing bay! That's a huge box! Now add all of that stuff in that you are asking for and you've got another piece that will eventually measure at least 2' wide and 3' long with a 3.5' height to match the landing bay.

This kinda thing exists more on a "build-it-yourself" scale. I'm sure it can be done... but keeping it simple would make this a more likely piece for Hasbro to produce.

Yeah... I'd LOVE to see something on this scale, but I don't think it will ever happen.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Yeah, the landing bay thing won't work in the ball design and the playability of an independent hangar bay really isn't there, so that's why I think that the wedge concept would be within production and financial parameters.

Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
    You are getting WAY out of hand with these designs! I mean, yeah, while it would be cool to have all of this stuff you are looking at a playset that would have to measure about 3.5' high and 3' x 3' just for the landing bay! That's a huge box! Now add all of that stuff in that you are asking for and you've got another piece that will eventually measure at least 2' wide and 3' long with a 3.5' height to match the landing bay.

The way I imagined it would be the floor area (possibly broken up into sections because of that huge pit in the middle and the hangar bay door on one side (which is mostly empty space.) This would keep the size of the packaging down. The other three sides of the hangar play set are "empty" Just columns at the two corners to conect the smaller playsets to. Then, when you buy the smaller playsets, they form the "walls" of the hangar on the three sides without the hangar bay doors. The columns and hangar bay door frames at the four corners of the dockng bay would be large enough to have two levels or "floors" connect to them, so on one side you could have the detention block on the "upper" floor and the trash compactor on the "lower" floor. On the other side you could have the hangar bay control room (the red room) on the "upper" level and a generic control room on the "lower" level. Across from the hangar doors, you could have the Obi Wan/Vader duel area with sliding doors, and on the "upper" level you could have Han dive the "blast doors" playset or Luke and leia swing across the chasm. Other sets could include Tractor Beam shutdown and Death Star Gunner Station plus generic hallways and elevator shafts at the corners to connect it all. It would be pretty big when you put it all together and the price point would kill a normal man ($50 minimum for the initial hangar set and $20-30 to have decent subsets that we wouldn't groan at how cheaply they were made.) After awhile you are getting up in the $300 range for a playset and Hasbro would never go for that, so I set it aside...

When I said "box" I meant the overall size of the landing bay would be a huge box.

The cost for a completed set would be enormous and so would the piece itself. I don't know anyone who has that much room to house all of that!

I'm sure someone would, but the majority would not. I think I'll leave this one up to the guy building the Tantive!!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I suggested the "playset in a ship" design because it was cool and also because Hasbro has no precedent of producing multiple sections of a playset that really fit together in the way everyone is talking about. It just isn't ever going to happen that way. I don't think that they trust that releasing that many pieces of a bigger whole would ever attract enough consumers to make it worthwhile. People do buy ships and figures. That's the bottom line. Scale is something collectors have to work on in their garage.

"There is never a precedent for anything until it happens. And then there is a precedent for it...."

Just because Hasbro has never made sectional playsets doesn't mean they won't in the future. There was never a precedent for 2 figures in a pack, either, but we've since gotten Ugnaughts, Jawas, Ewoks, podracer/Pit droids, and Pit Droids, not to mention The band members and Leia Collections and the 25th anniversary editions on the way. there was never a precedent for exclusive figures with vehicles, but now it's standard. I think the idea of breaking a playset/shipset into parts is more cost effective and safer for Hasbro than putting a $150 Death Star playset out there and hopeing parents will spring for it for their kids. Any cheaper than that and you risk having a crappy playset that everyone will be dissappointed in. If it's in sections people can buy the sections they really like and die hard collectors can purchase all of the sets and get rewarded with a nifty all-emcompassing diorama/playset that doesn't reek of being cheaply made.

"You get what you pay for..."