Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Arena Battle Droid variation?

Originally posted by Battle Droid
    A brown/rust colored Battle Droid?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...em=1714698269+<BR>
    Check Sir Steve's news section on the front page about this, looks like they are just doing like they did back in 1999. A few varients so that they all don't look the same for army builders. It appears to match the ones in the trailer that look like they are covered with Geonosian sand.

http://209.197.117.27/databases/acti...how_article=78

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Any chance it's a fake, since it doesn't have the background card like all the other AOTC figures have?

Any chance it's a fake, since it doesn't have the background card like all the other AOTC figures have?
    I doubt that it's fake. The missing background card can be explained since it's probably a salesman's sample. Still, 40.00 is way to much for me. I am sure we will see it salted in to the refresh cases, around May 16th.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Consider that hasbro make the toys based on early artwork and designs. maybe they didn't have much to work from and just assumed that the battle droids would be cream with a little red dust covering their lower limbs.

Then they get some new artwork showing the darker droids and they go "HEY - money spinner! Let's release that one too!" So they rush out a colour variant to cash in on those wishing to make scene specific dioramas and unfortunately they don't have one ready for TOYFAIR in NYC. But they are going into production with them. Then one leaks out of the back door at the factory or drops out of a salesmans sample case and LO! shows up on EBAY.

I think we'll definately be seeing these come April 23rd or thereabouts. What better way to get collectors whiped up into a frenzy than by releasing a variant? And then they ship them only two to a case and make it a HTF variant. Want to get people into stores and buying figures - easy!!!!!!

Was that cynical? Oh deary me...........

I think that, yes, this is indeed a very plausable variation. But I, too, was left wondering if it wasn't a phony. In fact that was my very first reaction. The missing card just screams "Oops! I forgot to put that back in!"

At any rate, I'll pass on this one as I have had my fill of battle droids. There's just so much else to be excited about.

I still don't see why they didn't give the Arena Battle Droid knee articulation, since all the others BD's they've made had it.

The Super Battle Droid looks cooler, though it probably doesn't have knee articulation either.

I still don't see why they didn't give the Arena Battle Droid knee articulation, since all the others BD's they've made had it.
    The Super Battle Droid looks cooler, though it probably doesn't have knee articulation either.
    On the security battle droid, I didn't care to much for the knee joints anyway. So, IMHO it's no big loss, since giving them a knee joint with such spindly legs made them top heavy and difficult to stand up. And if/when your knee joints got weak, he would pretty much fall over.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I put my Security BD's on action figure stands, and they stand up fine, with the knee articulation you can put them in different poses

Wow, these things are going to go so droopy in summertime! It's bad enough that the figures are made of bendy plastic but when they get this frail like the battle droids with skinny little legs they're all going to be OOM-9 soft and bendy. They'd be even more bendy with knees. The knee joint weakens the legs on all figures. Even the human ones. I'm kinda glad these new battle droids don't have knees. Maybe if hasbro start using a harder plastic again we can get them to make a battle droid with knees but I'm not rushing for it.

On the other hand, I like the look of the rusty battle droid. I'll hunt this one out more than I would the cream one with pink overspray. I like the solid look of this new colour variant. I don't understand why these Geonosian battle droids are rust coloured, but what the heck! I'll buy at least a dozen if they're available in large quantities. I'd rather have these than those silly looking super battle droids that are top heavy and have thin legs that you know are going to wilt and bend. I'll be looking to buy an army of these new battle droids to replace the poor quality episode one battle droids with their chunky legs and chunky arms. Maybe I'll customise the episode one droids into smashed up droids and melted droids

I'm wondering now what hasbro have planned with the new destroyer droid..... A rolled one perhaps? Or would that just be wishful thinking on my part? Please let it be a rolled up droideka, Please let it be a rolled up droideka, Please let it be a rolled up droideka............
    Last edited by Jargo; 03-19-2002 at 08:24 PM.