Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Being A collector of Star Wars is hard

Anyone noticed how hard it can be to collect star wars figures? Especially if you are a 13 year old kid like me. I know that there aren't that many hardcore Star Wars fans that are 13. My collection of unopened figs is about at 100 now, I recently started not opening them. So my loose figure count is very high.
    It annoys me so much how hasbro can distribute so many figures that are practially the same. For example there is normal Anakin, then there is Anakin with podracing gear, then there is Anakin with Naboo Starfighter gear, etc. And I know that no one is forcing me to buy these figures, but I get this feeling like my collection is incomplete without them, and then I buy them.
    I have started to hold back on these figures more now, and I think that after I have gotten all of the figures from the POTJ series that I like, I am done collecting.
    Well, let me rephrase that, I am done collecting figures from previous lines. I will be saving up to get all of the Episode II figures, but I am not holding back, I am buying a product the day or week it comes out. This way I can get a fresh new start!
    And one other thing, does anybody agree with me that hasbro should come out with a classic trilogy line? I mean nothing HUGE, just a line of the basic figures from the original trilogy, re-sculpted, and better than ever. Any thoughts, and does anyone have suggestions on my new collecting strategy?
    It is not the size of your collection... it is how you use it

Being three years older than you BountyHunter,I know where
    you are coming from.Your new collecting strategy is not for me,
    but hey,its your money,right?I collect the things that I like,
    been doing it since '97 now.

And I do believe they are coming out with some OT figures with
    the AOTC line.Not many..just a few of the characters.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

wel I'm 15 and my biggest problem in collecting is the money
    since I can't get figs in the normal stores (toysrus still has E1) I have to buy them in comic shops in Paris or order them online for about $9 a fig - but I only buy the stuff I like, open them all and put them in dioramas (except the ones that don't "fit" to the surrounding or look too cool to be set up in a closet)
    my strategy still is to wait for special offers and don't buy all of the fiures that are put out (except the darth mauls I have EVERY one of them except the one from the MOTDS 2-pack - still looking for that one...)

I have that problem with money too Maul. I never seem to have enuff money.
    It is not the size of your collection... it is how you use it

Unhappy

Well, being over twice as old as you, BountyHunter , I have problems, too. Many people assume I am a scalper or immature never-grown-up ("I'm not! I'm not! I'm not!" ), even though I only buy one of each. The money issue is why I have purchased a grand total of 6 or 8 figures in the last 6-9 months or so. I open every figure I buy, as long as the price is within about 25% of retail. They're toys remember, and meant to be played with. Even by those closer to 30 than 13.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Bounty Hunter your collection is complete or incomplete based on how you feel about it.Not a Price guide,other collector, or book.
    If you want to be a completeist then do that and be happy with your hobby.If not,buy what you like a forget the rest.You won't be any less of a fan because of it.Someone is always going have something you don't.Even the most extreme completist is missing something.
    Handle your collection like it's yours. and enjoy it.
    I'm alot older then you are and money is still an issue.sorry to break it to you
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.

I agree. Money is still an issue for me as well when it comes to collecting. I'm 25 and I can't buy everything that I want to anymore. Once you get to a certain age you have way too many responsibilities and bills like rent, car payment, car insurance, health insurance, credit card payments, utilities, food, gas, etc....

Plus it doesn't help that I collect a ton of comic book titles and am also into video games. It sure does get expensive having hobbies.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

it also doesn't help me with the money problem that I am a big mcfarlane collector and buy almost every spawn line, a lot movie maniacs and other lines (tortured souls, metal gear solid...)

I know how you feel Sithdroid. With rent, cable, water, electricity, phone, food, car payment, gas money, credit card, and cell phone payments, there isnt alot of money left to enjoy.
    But I will tell you this: I pay my bills first, then whatever is left over I enjoy and spend it exactly how I want. I work too hard for my money not to get something out of it for myself.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Bounty Hunter, I remember collecting Star Wars figures when I was your age. I had no car and no money. And when I had money I had to walk to any store I wanted to go to. So I know where your coming from. It is hard.

~~~ Flashforward to now! ~~~

SithDroid, I'm a few years younger than you, I'm in college and have many of the bills you do. So I know how that is.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett