Mastiff Astro droid? R5D4? Any Ideas

I am a huge droid fan, hence the name, and I was wondering about the Mastiff Astro Droid. I really want to see this one. Any ideas on that.

Also, someone had speculated that R5 had been moved to AOTC from POTJ because he is supposedly in AOTC, but he is not on the list I was really looking forward to him or at the very least an R5. I am so impressed with R3 and R4, but I really wanna see an R5. Heck if we get him though, I will be crying for an R1.

Mastiff astro droid is a typographical error. It should have read:

Massif and Geonosian warrior
    Astro droid R3-T7

That's what we're getting. At toyfair earlier this year Hasbro showed a geonosian warrior with a small creature labelled 'Massif'

And then they also showed us R3-T7. But it could also have been a listing for the new R2-D2 with Kouhoun asassin insects.

R5 was replaced by R4 in the POTJ assortment and the current ideas are that because we know R5 will show up somewhere in AOTC he will be released as an AOTC figure. We can but hope. But there's no listing for R5 at the moment in the line up of this years product up until summer. But then there's the summer conventions where Hasbro will showcase the fall assortments and maybe R5 will be among those figures.

Jargo is right, just a case of people mistaking the listings on internal Hasbro documents in an attempt to get figure info out to us rabid fans. As for "Skippy the Jedi Droid" (R5-D4), yeah there is a rumor Hasbro held him back since he appears in E2, and plays some importance in the story. There is also some rumors floating around that he might be one of the "Star Tours" exclusive droid figures. I hope that rumor isn't true, I want a regular release R5, so I can repaint a few of them as other R5's.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

The lack of a decent R5 sculpt haunts me to no end, Droidlover. And I am also crying out for an R1. If only we hadn't been foiled by that meddling Ephant Mon!

I'm not saying this to tick anybody off...just curious as to why everybody is jonesing for another R5?
    "I have a bad feeling about this..."

Why?

Pretty much because Hasblah's POTF2 attempt at the R5 was such a colossal joke! Have you seen it? HUGE non-retractable third leg and, uh- heLLO! A missile launcher??? What is up with THAT??

That's why!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Bringing you up to speed . . .

The original R5-D4 was just flat out horrible! He had that stupid rocket-firing feature which meant that his third leg was HUGE and not retractable. And because he "split" in half, his head couldn't even turn. He is almost always cited as being one of the worst --- if not THE worst --- figures of POTF2.

That aside -- I think his popularity is deeply rooted in the fact that he was THE ONLY OTHER ASTRO DROID produced in the Vintage line. So, there is a very high nostolgia factor tilted in his favor. He also has quite a lot of screen time when compared with many of the other minor characters. I think all told he's got about 5 or 6 minutes versus the usual, say, 20 seconds glimpsed fleetingly in the back ground at Jabba's Palace. Heck, he's even got his own blooper/continuity error --- if you watch the purchase of the droids sequence closely, he's in two places at once! Whoops . . .

In a cruel and sadistic toying with our psyches, he was at long last slated to be resculpted --- then was replaced with R4M9. With R5-D4's rather unexpected ATOC cameo coming up shortly, everybody just assumed we'd get him once the film opened. Sadly, that is not the case.

Droid Lovers want all the droids produced. And now that we've gotten an R3 and an R4 -- they want a decent R5 to round things out.

We're all fairly confident that we'll eventually get him. But we are an impatient lot, I guess.
    Last edited by mark2d2; 03-19-2002 at 09:32 PM.