Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The scenario:
    I've just plunked down $55 for a carded vintage SW figure at a toy show, or I've just purchased 4-5 of the latest wave of figures at a toy store, and some dolt, seeing that I was buying Star Wars toys, will ask me "So, are you going to see the new Star Wars movie?"

I've held my tongue many a time after that question, but I was always thinking "I hope your children (if you haven't already been sterilized) can excel and rise like a phoenix from the white-hot embers of your burning stupidity to become contributing citizens someday, and perhaps maybe even find work as telemarketers."
    -Bob
    I am blind to the value of this pain...

Not SW-related, but here's a funny tale of customer service at Best Buy. . . .

Once upon a time, maybe two years ago, Best Buy actually had a pretty good selection of CDs that were difficult to find anywhere else. On one occasion, I was perusing the Frank Zappa CDs, which appear under "Z" for Zappa. To the right of "Z" are compilations.

An employee came over with a couple who had obviously asked for help finding something. (It sort of annoys me that customers can't go in and find something in freakin' alphabetical order, but that's another story.) After looking through heavy metal and disco compilations, he asked, "Um, what was it called again?"

"History. It's by America." [This was the greatest hits album by a successful 70s band, easier to find than Ketwol is now.]

"Um, it should be right here, so it looks like we don't have it."

I decided it would be worth the laugh to walk a couple of aisles over, pick up one of their approximately 4,568 copies of said CD, and hand it to the couple. The look on the employee's face, as I anticipated, was priceless.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Lightbulb

Slightly on-topic, but if you want to evilly weild power, just wear a white long sleeve shirt with dark pants in a store. At the grocery store this weekend, after coming back from church, I was asked twice by different people. If I knew where the tin foil is (number one, do any stores actually sell "tin" foil anymore?, and number two, he was standing directly to the left of the display). If "you" have any rootbeer (I could tell her "we" have A&W and the generic Shasta kind). In TRU a few years back, I'm walking to the action figures aisle, and I hear this "Sir. Sir. Sir! Excuse me!" behind me. I turned around and the lady said, "Do you work here?" My favorite answer is to say "No, but how can I help you?" It always freaks people out! I directed her to the bikes section (probably the most easily-visable one in the whole store!), where she was looking for an item.

I had a SW hat on one of the last days I substituted at a high school (PE teachers get to bend the rules of dress codes, you know!), and a bunch of students asked me if I liked Star Wars, who my favorite character was, if I'd like to date Princess Leia, and if I liked that "new queen" (all actual questions!). One student asked me my opinion on why Qui-Gon didn't disappear.

The long story short (too late) is, that people are inquisitve. You can be a jerk and cuss them out or ignore them, seriously answer their questions, or make up an answer.

Suggested answers to the question:

"Why no. I just was released from prison when the movie came out in the '70s!"

"Hmm... a movie about President Reagan's strategic defense system? Sounds dull."

"Live long and nah-noo nah-noo!"

"Movie? Is that television for cattle?" (Moo-V, a la T.V.? Sigh...)

"I have terminal halitosis and probably won't be around in May."

"Que? La pelicula de querra de estrella? Si! Voy a estar en la linea una semena antes!"

"Yeah. Definately not wearing any underwear..."
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Re: YES!

Originally posted by TeeEye7
    SithDroid is my hero!

And I mean that in all sincerity!

Imagine! Someone who cares about their job and is ACTUALLY concerned with customer service! If human cloning ever becomes legalized, my vote is to borrow some DNA from SithDroid and require the business world to use it!

Customer service hardly exists any more. I'm impressed to see such a cool attitude, SithDroid

There's nothing worse than going to some store where some mouth-breathing lop doesn't know the first thing about what he's paid for, or know anything about the products they carry. It's sad when you know more than they.

Lack of customer service has killed KMart. Others aren't far behind IMO. SithDroid could become an over night millionaire holding seminars and being a motivational speaker for employees for the likes of Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

SithDroid=
    Well, it was a great job at the time. I loved working there although the pay wasn't too great. I guess that it was my love for movies that kept me there for so long. I only quit because I moved away.

The worst customer service I have gotten is from Sprint PCS. They charged me twice for my phone and wanted me to PROVE that I had already bought it. I gave them my credit card statement and my original receipt for when I bought it and they still couldn't figure it out. Plus they charged me twice for the same month of service. My bill is still messed up and I've had my phone for 9 months now. Word of advice, go with Verizon if you get a chance. The people that work at Sprint, the actual store I bought it at and the customer service people, are dumber than a box of rocks. I swear, if they would only listen to what I have to say instead of trying to figure it out with their primitive cromagnum brain then perhaps it would actually turn out right. Sprint sucks and when my service agreement is up with them I'm switching over to Verizon.

I don't know if I have what it takes to be a motivational speaker. I would like a chance to talk to these uninformed people though. The biggest problem with 75% of the people who work at these jobs is that they don't like working there and could care less about the customers just so long as they get a paycheck. Well I am fed up. It is no wonder most of these jobs are EOE since no one else decent will hire them.

Time for another Best Buy story. Before I bought my DVD player I still bought VHS tapes. Now as many of you know, if you lay the VHS tape on a magnet it will strip the picture right off the tape. Well I went to BB to buy a video and was up at the register paying for it and the stupid MORON working behind the counter left my video on the magnetic strip that deactivates the securtiy tags. It was sitting there for about a minute and I just wanted to say to the man, "Hey, do you know that by you leaving that on the magnet it will destroy the picture? And if I get home and find out something is wrong with my tape I'm going to come back here and smack you over the head with it because you are TOO IGNORANT to understand." I wish I would have said it, it would have felt good. He is lucky that nothing happened to it though. Lucky b*stard.

I've gone on too long. Tune in next week for the next installment of "Stupid employees."
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

Originally posted by stormie
    The scenario:
    I've just plunked down $55 for a carded vintage SW figure at a toy show, or I've just purchased 4-5 of the latest wave of figures at a toy store, and some dolt, seeing that I was buying Star Wars toys, will ask me "So, are you going to see the new Star Wars movie?"

I've held my tongue many a time after that question, but I was always thinking "I hope your children (if you haven't already been sterilized) can excel and rise like a phoenix from the white-hot embers of your burning stupidity to become contributing citizens someday, and perhaps maybe even find work as telemarketers."
    See!
    This is what I'm talking about.
    I mean somebody asking you such a silly question deserves a similarly stupid response.

That statement ranks right up there with:

"Would you like to see a menu?"
    "No I'm freakin' psychic, I don't need it"

Okay it's official, I am definately sounding like an elitist here
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

What can you do though? I dunno what's worse, these type of stories, or the people who claim to be "collectors" and don't know the obvious facts...when they're just about on every other website and have been repeated several times.

I'm about ready to make me a custom patch that says "I'm a Star Wars Geek, my midichlorian information count is higher than even Master Yoda's."
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I see where y'all are coming from with customer service, and it doesn tick me off when an employee knows less about there store than a customer does.

But if your buying Star Wars figures, and someone asks if your going to see the new movie, if you act like a jerk about it, you probably are a jerk. They're just asking a simple question, not everyone out there is a Star Wars guru like you. Give them a break. They're just trying to ask a simple question. Its those type of people at conventions that think they are all high and powerful that I just want to run over with my car.

You have to remember people, most other people in the world don't care about Star Wars at all.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Orginally Posted by LTBasker
    I'm about ready to make me a custom patch that says "I'm a Star Wars Geek, my midichlorian information count is higher than even Master Yoda's."
    Hey LTBasker,Can you send one of those my way?

Back to topic:

I really dont mind when people ask "Are you going to see the
    New Starwars Movie" because then I go into a long conversation
    (normally with myself ) about StarWars and its ideals.
    For some reason they never ask me the question again...
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Originally posted by Wolfwood319
    I know most people aren't serious Star Wars collectors and don't know hardly anything about them nowadays, but I don't hold it against them. Most people aren't SW fans, and I know that. I don't let it affect my view of them.
    I agree.

I keep it a secret from most because it is something that is very dear to me and I prefer that the less people know, the better. People who aren't star wars fans have their own "special" knowledge of things they hold dear as well. And I'm sure more than once one of us star wars fans have tread on "their" ground and perturbed them about things they know that we don't! So it goes both ways it seems. It's all rather confusing anyway if you ask me. I just want to collect and be left alone about it and NOT have to explain myself and actions to others.

GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

I just started a new job. In my cubical I have a ANH: SE poster up, a Anakin Pod Racer mug, and an x wing sticker on my computer. One of my co-workers asks me, so you like star wars. I just said yea and that was that, but duh. I didnít ask her, so you like kitties, when I saw her cube with a couple of anonymous cat pictures up. I guess itís just human nature to point out the obvious.

I too keep my hobby and feelings in general about Star Wars to myself. First of all, most people have a poor image of Star Wars fans. I think they have us confused with Trekies, generic sci-fi fans, and the comic book guy from The Simpsons. Never the less I share this with few people. I didnít tell my girlfriend of 2 years about my star wars fascination for quite some time. Although the giant x-wing poster in my dorm room was probably a dead give away. If people are curios I talk to them about it, but I donít go nuts on them. There is nothing worse than someone talking to you like they know everything, and I donít just mean about Star Wars.

All I can say is talk to these people that ask you questions. Maybe you will make a friend, or make a new Star Wars fan. There can never be to many of either.

Oh, I had all but 5 vintage figures when I was a kid. I saw the 4 out of the 5 (I donít live in Canada, and couldnít get Yak face) I needed at the store, but just didnít have the money to buy them (of course 5 year old kids donít have much moneyJ). So it is possible.