Thread: Black Hawk Down

Black Hawk Down

Okay, the Star Wars relationship is thin (Ewan "Obi Wan Kenobi" Mcgregor is starring in the film adaptation next March) but I just got done reading this book and I have to say it is AWESOME! I got all choked up at the end and the attention to detail is superb. This is truly a stupendous account of the events of Oct 3, 1993, and I can't recommend it to you guys enough.

Has anyone else read this yet? If you have, let me know what you think. If you haven't, then I urge you to do so immediately...

I was actually talking about this yesterday with my girlfriend. She teaches high school English and was complaining that a movie is coming out. Okay, that sounds harsh, so let me explain: she's had it on her list for books acceptable for book reports for some time, and she won't have a book on her list if the students can watch the film instead of reading it. She highly recommended it, and with two such recommendations I may have to read it, even if it is a military book not by Tim O'Brien.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Originally...

the book started out as a serial piece in the Philadelphia Inquirer. But the writer went back and found several key people he couldn't locate for his newspaper articles. Their interviews are included in the book.

I read the serial but not the book. I have the book at home, though.

Yeah he goes into detail in the Afterword about how he couldn't find any official literature about the details of the battle (soldiers detailed accounts and stuff) so it piqued his curiosity and he spent months and years finding the soldiers who had been there and talking to the families of the ones who died. It's very compelling.

OC, how do you have a book at home and not read it? Was it a gift? Did you buy it and not get around to it yet?

Hadn't gotten around to reading it yet. I've read just about everything else about the Battle of the Black Sea I could get my hands on.

I did by it myself -- hardback! Lately, I've been on a big WWII reading kick. Just finished In Harms Way, about the sinking of the Indianapolis, (read it in two days!!) and How Hitler Could Have Won WWII. Earlier I read Ghost Soldiers, about a commando raid to free survivors from the Bataan Death March. I picked up The Greatest Generation at the library last night.

May try to read BH Down this weekend.