Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for Star Wars figures in UK.

To all the Brits out there, in April I am going to England for ten days. A few will be spent in Oxford, a few will be spent in London. I know you guys have Toys R Us over there, and a store called Tescos that probably sells action figures. I was wondering what other stores I could look in. Do WH Smiths sell figures? Please someone tell me what stores to look in. Of course I will go to Hamleys in London. What are their prices like?
    Thanks.
    Jason.

Hi there.

I live in the UK. Nice of you to be coming over.

As for collectables in the UK. There is not that many actual 'stores' that sell stuff.

Toys R US is a total waste of time. I have 2 near me and there is nothing in stock, and hasn't been for a year or so.
    They will be stocking Episode 2 figures mid April when they are officially released.

As for older figures, they are really only available though collectors shops, and they cost a packet too. (usual story over here).

The UK gets ripped off with prices and availability. Our TRU does NOT do exclusives like the US branches, they are only available to us through collectors stores.

WH Smith don't stock anything either, maybe a few books but thats about it.

We have Asda stores which have now been taken over by Walmart but they are no good either.

My advise to you is when you are here, try to find specific collectors shops (there are plenty) but be prepared to pay a huge price for it.

Thanks very much, I really appreciate it. I heard Selfridges had a good toy department, but I know that doesn't mean diddly squat if I can't find any Star Wars figures or anything. Thanks for your advice though. A few people mentioned Argos, and there's one near where I'll be staying. That's no good either?
    Jason.

To be very honest. You will be very lucky to find anything in any Department store or catalogue shop (argos) until mid April.

This country is total C**P when it comes to Star Wars. There is a huge following over here considering we are only a small country, but everyone feels the same about prices and availability.

We just get ripped off. When you are over here you will see what I mean.

I'm not sure about Selfidges, I haven't been there for years. As for Hamleys, it's big, but probably no SW stuff there either till mid April.

If you are in London around the 20th April, there is a new shop opening in Finsbury, about 2 miles NE of the Tower of London.
    The shop is called R2Dtoys. Jeremy Bulloch will be there for the opening and signing autographs. I would reccomend it if you can make it. Their opening prices are very good. E2 figures for 5 each and all three 25th anniversary figs for 25. They are real bargain prices for us across the pond.

I really depends on what kind of SW stuff you are after. The older/vintage stuff is cheaper in the US. (almost half the price than here) and the newer stuff is very limited, shops still think that there is no call for it over here and always run out after a couple of days. (when they have the stuff anyway)

I hope you enjoy your stay in (sunny) England, but unfortunately don't expect too much on the SW side of things. sorry.
    TK6540 of the UK Garrison

I will be in England until the 23rd, the day the new figures come out but I will def. go to that store you told me about. That is the best news I heard yet!!! Thank you, thank you. By the way, do you collect the Jedi Fact File magazine over there? What is it like? Also, are the New Jedi Order novels out over there yet?
    Cheers.
    Jason.
    PS:One last thing, have you ever been to Forbidden Planet in London?

Hi Jason.

OK the store i mentioned is called R2Dtoys. they are located 292 Wightman Road, Finsbury, N8. Or you can phone them on ;
    +44 (0)20-8340-5566. +44 is UK code from overseas. ignore the '0' if you are phoning from the US.

I do collect the Fact Files, currently on issue 12. It's not bad. Doesn't seem to have much 'new' info in it. Has good blueprints of spacecraft and in-depth info on different characters each week. You may be able to pick up a few issues when you are over here. It's available at all good newsagents. WH Smith is a good place.

As for the Forbidden Planet, I went to their store when they had one at the Art of Star Wars back in 2000 at the Barbican Centre, London. Forbidden Planet have 9 outlets around the country. There is one near me in Southampton, Hampshire. Bit small but very good and they have a good supply of stock arriving each week. Some prices are a bit high as expected over here. The London store is a superstore and is located in New Oxford Street. Tel +44 (0)20-7420-3666.

The New Jedi Order novels I don't collect, I only collect the 'informative' books. e.g SW Chronicles. I'm not sure which ones are new, let me know and I will find out for you.

Forbidden Planet has a lot in stock. e.g. Twilight, Approching Storm etc. costs are around 10 - 16

Mark.
    TK6540 of the UK Garrison

Thank you for all the information. I just have one question: what is Star Wars Chronicles? Is that an English book?
    Jason.

There would be no point of going to any chainstores or toy shops for Star Wars in England, the only place to get them are collectors shops, which are all over the place, so all I can do is wish you the best of British old boy!
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Star Wars chronicles is the biggest book going for archived OT pictures. It costs anywhere between 75 - 100 and is huge. Simply beautiful pictures of props and models and costumes and matte paintings. But like I say, expensive.

Don't know how mobile you're going to be but if you're going to be driving around all over the place, The Entertainer is one of the newest chains of toystores in the UK. Not brilliant because most of their stuff goes into the online store. but if you go to thetoyshop.com you could see if they have a store near where you're going to stay. Just go to the nav bar and click on 'our real world shops' to get a map that will take you to addresses and phone numbers of the local stores.

Other than that the only thing to do is to find a yellow pages and look for toy shops / collectibles. Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Jason,

The New Jedi Order books come out in the UK, at least 1 week after they are released in the states.

Enemy Lines I :- Rebel Dream is out on 1st April (Hopefully)