Worrt (the Road Creature): A question of scale

I recently posted a thread to the Dear Hasbro Section (Pack-ins, Pack-ins, Pack-ins) regarding accessories, props, little droids, and even smaller creature types that would make ideal accessories for Star Wars figures in favor of more "super" blasters that are created solely for the toys. One of these suggestions was Worrt (a.k.a. the Road Creature), the bulbous, spiney frog-like animal seen in a ROTJ establishing shot of Jabba's Palace from the exterior. This ponderous creature lazily gobbles up its hapless prey with a lengthy tongue and then issues forth a satisfied belch.
    The question I now pose is based on a reply to that thread, one that claimed that Worrt was a poor choice as a pack-in because it was as big or bigger than Jabba the Hutt. I suspect that this concept was based on "back story" from one of the countless books, gaming supplements, or CCG cards, but I do not read most of these so I am uncertain of the origins of this size question. I saw the original puppet at the Magic of Myth exibit when it was in Houston, Texas and it is no larger than a small dog. Of course the size of the puppet itself is irrelevant as the Rancor puppet was smaller still. However, I have always seen the shot featuring Worrt as a foreground/background contrast shot with the creature in the extreme forground, its size not relative to the size of the buildings beyond. My perception could be skewed, or that of the writer of this creature's back story which has become gospel for some.
    At any rate, if anyone knows where information on the size of this creature may have been published, please let me know. I have copies of the Star Wars Chronicles which I believe includes Worrt in the wonderful size comparison photographic chart section, but I am not certain. The Rancor and Jabba are shown to scale with each other, if memory serves, and if Worrt does appear in that book, I know that it was not as big as Jabba. If it does not, I have only the loyal fans and members of Sir Steves Guide to settle this issue.

I was wrong, JediCole. D'oh! My earlier statement that he was huge was based on hearsay. Someone told me once that it was a huge creature. Since Worrt is indeed a small fellow, it would make an excellent pack-in.

Here's the two (the only two, btw) bits of info I found online about Herr Worrt:

From theforce.net:
    Worrt--a froglike creature found on Nal Hutta, these creatures have long tongues. They have large frills around their eyes, and have no teeth. Jabba the Hutt brought a worrt with him to Tatooine, and it roamed his palace grounds as a deterrent to thieves and radiers. Note that Creatures of the Galaxy claims the worrts were native to Tatooine.
    From the Decipher website:
    Creatures are silly. Well, silly and fun. Well, little ones are! Not the Rancor or a Wampa, these little guys run on stealth. Plop them all around your locations and you can lock down your opponents movement pretty good. If you are on Tatooine, you can really set up a long haul if the scum from Jabba's are trying to get from the Palace into Mos Eisley. The Worrt, though never attacking your characters, will not allow your opponents to use their own landspeed. He will not move either, because your characters are still potential meals. Kinda' like a cute little pet that really slows the Dark Side down. Oh, watch out for the the Rancor though, these tiny creatures are like Popcorn shrimp to him.
    My bad.
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 08-27-2001 at 04:01 PM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

El Chuxter, thanks for the research. I never knew that Worrts could be so cute and fun. Not to mention a great accessory piece to, say, Klaatu (Jabba's Palace version), now that would be cool!

Thumbs up

I always had heard that he was extremely large as well, I guess not. He would make a cool pack in then.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I never thought of these little creature but I thought it made a nice background part.It would make a good pack-in.
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

The real question is do you drink red or white with him?

Talking

How about a Worrt and Bubo combo? In the old forums I made a suggestion for a small creature battle bag type pack. Obviously a large battle bag type pack but I wondered about releasing a pack of the smaller creatures from star wars together. We rarely get any of the cooler creatures and a big box of them would be really tasty! Worrt, Bubo, Wol Cabashhite, hoover, dagobah swamp pterodactyl, mynock, Dianoga..... I'd buy a ton of them!
    what do you think?
    Last edited by Jargo; 08-29-2001 at 03:58 PM.

Jargo,
    I couldn't agree more about a small beast pack or set. I suggested as much in my very first Wish List in the Dear Hasbro section of the Old Forums. I have reprinted it below:

The "Creatures of Star Wars" Pack - I've always loved the richness of the Star Wars universe, especially the diverse wildlife. I think most collectors would love to supplement their dioramas or displays with a mess of critters from the Trilogy. Such a set would include the Rock Creature (from outside Jabba's Palace), a scurrier (from ANH Special Ed.), a swamp flyer (of Dagobah) with moveable wings, a Mynok, a Naboo swamp flyer, and perhaps even a minature Nuna (from Jabba's box at the Pod Races).

And now for my late addition. I would love an Opaki (the gigantic Naboo antelope) standing perhaps 6" at the shoulder with articulated legs, neck, head and tail.

dang! I forgot about the scurrier and it's one of my favourite critters too. i didn't put the nuna on my list because it isn't classic trilogy, but I'd love a handful of them all the same.
    In fact, i'd like all of the weird and diverse creatures. It's all very well having the humans and the bipedal aliens who populate the worlds of SW, but what if you want to use your imagination and have a herd of Opaki stampede over the jedi in a fit of rage? Or have a group of scurriers overrun the sandtroopers and clog the mos Eisley traffic? More creativity is called for. If hasbro can make accessory packs with guns and cloaks, and they certainly know how to make figures of soldiers and senators and alien cantina denizens and large creatures, then why can't we get the smaller ones? Attack of the Dianogas anyone?

Originally posted by JediCole
    The "Creatures of Star Wars" Pack - I've always loved the richness of the Star Wars universe, especially the diverse wildlife. I think most collectors would love to supplement their dioramas or displays with a mess of critters from the Trilogy. Such a set would include the Rock Creature (from outside Jabba's Palace), a scurrier (from ANH Special Ed.), a swamp flyer (of Dagobah) with moveable wings, a Mynok, a Naboo swamp flyer, and perhaps even a minature Nuna (from Jabba's box at the Pod Races).
    Two words: Battle Bags

This is what Hasbro came up with to suppliment the needs of folks like you who want toys of the animals of SW. Nice work, huh? Tiny little plastic zoo figures in green goop/powder.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.