Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Cinescape Online
    Movie News
    Malkovich thumbs a ride on GUIDE
    Dateline: Friday, April 16, 2004

By: PATRICK SAURIOL, News Editor
    Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Actor John Malkovich has joined the cast of THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY movie. Unlike the earlier casting announcements, Malkovich is playing a character not seen in Douglas Adams' novel but one created for the film (at the instruction of the novelist himself.) The character's name is Humma Kavula and he is described as being a religious cult leader.

Filming on the long awaited GUIDE starts this month in London, with Martin Freeman, Mos Def, Zooey Deschanel and Sam Rockwell starring as Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, Trillian and Zaphod Beeblebrox, respectively.
    Hmmm, a non-book character created for the film by the novelist himself, prior to his untimely death? Wow ... that's so freakish it has to be true!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Wow, a HGTTG movie? I read those books a looooong time ago, so I don't remember all the details...or much of the basic plot for that matter. I'll have to see this one.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

The TV show is available on DVD and I still find it entertaining, albeit dated with the special FX.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Yup . I kinda like it too . Must pick it up on DVD some day...

Looking forward to the movie .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I watched the DVD this last summer and I remember thinking that Hitchhikers would do well as a movie or new mini-series. I too will be looking forward to this movie.

Don't Panic!

First off, I'm glad to see Jim Carrey's name off this project, he would have RUINED it. I thought that was already set in stone though.

Secondly, who the hell cast Mos Def as Ford Prefect?!? I'm sorry, but Mos Def may have some interesting and diverse work under his belt, but he's totally the wrong note for such a critical character. I wish I could put into words how bad this casting decision sounds to me, but it's just flabberghasting. I just picture his acting, the style with which he behaves on-screen in stuff and it feels so damn wrong.

Mos Def as Ford is almost as ridiculous as Warwick "Wicket" Davis as Marvin the paranoid andr... oh.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port
    The TV show is available on DVD and I still find it entertaining, albeit dated with the special FX.
    hey, we are talking early 80's bbc tv here - wobbly sets and crap anamatronics that cost a fortune at the time. i always liked the bits from the guide itself though. i always thought the radio version was better - you didn't need wobbly sets and crap anamatronics for that

i believe douglas adams did write a screenplay version of hitch hikers guide before he died so its true about the new character. adams despaired of ever getting a movie version made though, so its a shame he didn't live to see it happen. as long as they stick to his script and don't try and 'go hollywood' with it it should be good.
    come one, come all/chalk your eyes/blood for gall/this isnít the same world/your children are offerings/bow down/give thanks for their scant sufferings/chalk your eyes/the bigger the god so small the man/just this wooden horse remains

is this what you fought for?/green order/green order

Quote Originally Posted by arctangent
    i always liked the bits from the guide itself though.
    The guide segments were always my favorite as well. Those still look good even with the advances we've had in Special FX

I personally hated the BBC production, but one of the best bits was a Guide interlude describing the people (I forget who they were, yeah, blasphemy, I know) who would be the first against the wall when the rebellion came, and one of the pictures was of Douglas Adams!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm surprised no one jumped on this, since it happened Friday, but Disney unveiled the first teaser trailer at the Incredibles discussion at SDCC.

A brief description from what I recall:

Earth, hanging in space. Louis Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World." Immediately after he sings the title line, the earth explodes. The music changes, and the following lines appear in sequence:
    "When the world ends
    Remember one thing:
    DON'T PANIC!"

The stars then form into a thumb within a circle, and it ends with a "Summer 2005" date.

Then they gave us cool Incredibles stuff and a towel that says "Don't panic!"
    Tommy, close your eyes.