Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

To quote you...

"Well... that smells stink-o-whiff!"
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Not really a hose job, actually he is giving the fans exactly what they wanted. If you read the DVD website forums, people wanted to have the theatrical and Extended Cut on seperate sets. Giving them both different special features, is also somthing they wanted. They either wanted a single disc theatrical cut, or the special features to be different between releases. Peter Jackson chose the second option, to try to make everyone happy. That way on the theatrical cut, you have your fluff piece making of shows, that were on TV. And then for the special extended cut, you get down and dirty with the in depth extra features that only the die had fans would really care about.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    I'm sure there are also several fans who would like the movie with widescreen, director's commentary, deleted scenes, and some bonus features. That's totally doable in one 2-disc set. Shoot, they even did it with X-Men (which Jackson also directed), where you could optionally insert the deleted scenes while watching the movie.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

You know, I went home and checked my X-Men DVD and realized it was Brian Singer who directed it, not PJ. How I could get those two ever mixed up is beyond me.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

The precedent's been set!

I was hoping maybe Lucas would take a hint from Spielberg on CT DVDs--releasing both versions on one (or two) disc(s). But now I'm worried he might decide Peter Jackson's got the better approach. Could you imagine if SE's came out on two-disc sets, then later there were four disc sets for the original releases, complete with totally different bonus material? He's already released a two-disc "SE" of TPM. . . and he knows fans would be as willing to fork over additional bucks for the untampered-with versions as much as LOTR fans would be willing to get an expanded version. That would be a 36-disc set.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'd prefer it the way there doing it now. I want all the extras and both cuts of the film, but rather than having a huge 7 disc set, they broke it up. For the casual fan you have the theatrical cut and all the campy extras like "making of" and stuff you see on most DVDs now a days. Then for the fans you have the director's cut with the extras the fans would want more; Director commentary, the in depth making of, not HBO's or FOX's, etc.

I'll get both versions anyway it goes though. Any word on how big the bookends will be? WETA did some amazing pieces for the movie and I hope the book ends are just as good.

I think PJ is doing this for the fans. I don't mind forking over the money for the regular version and then the collector's edition boxed set, because its worth it to me and many other fans as well. He listened to what the fans wanted and then gave it to them. If you think its a screw job, don't buy them.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Darn right Wolfwood, he's doing what the majority of the fans asked for. I also will be buying both, can't wait til August for the Theatrical Cut, since I only saw it once in the theater. I do need to go this weekend, so I can see the 3 1/2 minute Two Towers trailer that they added to the end of the film. But, I can't sit in a theater for 3 hours, I would rather enjoy it in the comfort of my home where I can pause it when nature calls.

Not sure about the size of the bookends, but I hope that they look cool. This movie atleast deserves the 4 disc special extended edition. I can't believe that they are making Pearl Harbor into a 4 disc set this summer. Oh well, I know that I can't wait for these 2 sets, man this is the year of the waiting, isn't it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Thedigitalbits.com has an image of the prototype packaging for the 4-disc Special Expanded Edition. It's going to be in an imitation leather "book" somewhat like the upcoming Pearl Harbor SE. I'm attaching an image of the preliminary artwork.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lotr's se.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	1240  
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Thanx for the picture JJB, looking cool! I really can't wait for this DVD.

PENDO!

Rock 'N Roll! I like it, very epic looking. Any word yet on the WETA bookends? I just got my WETA Balrog today, its frickin' awesome!
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

The only thing I don't like is that they're releasing the special edition(s) months later after the general DVD release in hopes of getting those who can't wait to buy two copies of the movie. Other than that, the multiple editions I don't have a problem with.