Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    I really can't say either of us were right, cause we both didn't know. The boss of the house also gave me a humorous verbal thrashing for not knowing, she is a LOTR nut and is a bit fanatical about it.

PJ wanted a little more time for TTT, but New Line said that it needed to be done by Christmas, so that is the release date as of now.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Heh. My "boss of the house" (who is also a LOTR fanatic)was doing yoga at the time and annoyed that I interupted for such a silly question.

New Info. The Special Extended Edition is coming out November 12 in 2 versions as I said above. Now we have artwork for those 2 different versions, including an image of what the 2 bookends look like. No idea on price yet, but I'll keep you informed. Enjoy, this info is from TheDigitalBits.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Special Extended Edition:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lotr's 4 disc set.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	1547  
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set:

Name:	lotr's 5 disc box set.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	1549  

Isn't the five disc set exactly the same as the 4-disc set with just the National Geographic documentary added in?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Oops, didn't read the opening of this thread I thnk the five disc set will be the version I go for; but if I buy the super-deluxe versions of every film I am definitely not going to want to buy a collected edition trilogy later on.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Specs for the 4-disc Extended Cut, and the 5-disc Collector's Edition set have been posted. Make sure you are sitting down, there is a lotta stuff here for you LOTR's fans. This info is from thehometheaterforum.com. Please note, they say that this isn't even the full spec sheet, and there will be more!! SRP looks to be 60.00 for the 5-disc set with the extras (CCG cards, statues) and 30.00 for the 4-disc set. 4!!! Audio Commentaries!!!

Discs 1-2: The Feature:
    FEATURE (approx. 208 minutes) - Unique version of the epic adventure with 30 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film and the new music scored by Academy Award®-winning composer Howard Shore:

Widescreen (2.35:1) version of the Special Extended Edition
    Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound
    DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound
    Stereo Surround Sound
    Four audio commentaries by director and writers, the design team the production team and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Andrew Lesnie, Howard Shore, Jim Rygiel, Randy Cook...and many more.

Discs 3-4: The Appendices:
    Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers and in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring:

Disc 3 - "From Book to Vision":
    Adapting the book in a screenplay & planning the film
    Designing and building Middle-earth
    Storyboards to pre-visualization
    Weta Workshop visit - An up-close look at the weapons, armor, creatures and miniatures from the film
    Atlas of Middle-earth: Tracing the journey of the Fellowship
    An interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process
    Galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists
    Guided tour of the wardrobe department
    Footage from early meetings, moving storyboards and pre-visualization reels
    And much more!

Disc 4 - "From Vision to Reality":
    Bringing the characters to life
    A day in the life of a hobbit
    Principal photography: Stories from the set
    Scale: Creating the illusion of size
    Galleries of behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos
    Editorial and visual effects multi-angle progressions
    Sound design demonstration
    And much more!

DVD-ROM Content: Includes access to exclusive online features

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Name:	lotr 5-disc box contents.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	2161  

This is intresting. I don't remeber if anyone else recalls, but back before Fellowship of the Ring opened, you could join the official fan club at a premium price, and get your name added to the credits of the DVD release. I believe it was 150.00 for Fellowship, 200.00 for Fellowship and Two Towers, and 250.00 for all three. Well, someone over at HTF.com posted the email he received:

Dear Charter Member:

I am pleased to report that the 19-minute credit scroll of Charter Members names was so impressive that director Peter Jackson wanted to expand it by placing original scored music behind the names as they scroll on-screen. Members names are ordered alphabetically by last name and integrate seamlessly into the format and style of the rest of the production credits. (Just for your information, the scroll of Charter Members names is twice the length of the credit scroll for the films production team!) This exciting addition will certainly reflect the Charter Member name scroll as an important and integrated part of the films credits.

As always, there is a cost to making something bigger and better and this situation is no exception. The space needed to add a 19-minute musical score to the name scroll and the time required for Howard Shore to score and produce additional music -- means that neither space nor time was available to place the Charter Member name scroll on the first Theatrical Release DVD (due August 6th). When New Line Cinema and Jackson originally approved the project, neither realized these space/time constraints would occur. Everyone regrets this, but also promises that the final result will be far more impressive than first planned. As promised, the enhanced-format name scroll with music will appear on all domestic and international versions of the Special Expanded Edition DVD and the Collectors DVD Gift Set -- both due November 12th

The first DVD is a two-disc set that contains the theatrical release of the film and a selection of special footage and features including: interviews with cast members; an exclusive 10-minute behind-the-scenes preview of The Two Towers; and a sneak peek at the two DVD releases coming in November. Due August 6th for $US29.95. (Does not contain Charter Member name scroll.)

Can you believe that, 19 minutes of names that required a special score to be produced. And that the scroll is twice the length of the film's production credits scroll. That's just crazy, I wonder how many people ended up taking advantage of this offer, and how many will be appearing on all three.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

That's amazing. I guess in August I'll just rent the DVD then, (since I've never even seen the movie) and watch its paltry special features...then in November I'll buy the Special Edition along with the DVD of AOTC.

I'll pass on spending an extra twenty dollars for bookends.

Originally posted by DeadEye
    That's amazing. I guess in August I'll just rent the DVD then, (since I've never even seen the movie) and watch its paltry special features...then in November I'll buy the Special Edition along with the DVD of AOTC. I'll pass on spending an extra twenty dollars for bookends.
    Only small problem is if you want all the extra features for the movie, you have to buy both DVD sets. None of the special features on the August 6th release, will appear on the November 12th release.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks