Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I like that idea, but I can see it now...that elusive key piece of the puzzle snatched up by greedy unscroupulous scalpers. It would be nice though...

What about the idea of making just the Conning Tower part of the Star Destroyer and have it open up into a bridge playset like the vintage version.

i'd really like to see that as well stillakid. the capital ships don't get a fair treatment. it would be difficult to make it "functional" without being huge and expensive though wouldn't it?

the seperate playsets idea would be neat, but yeah, it would be very tough for everyone to get each one cause some jerks would scoop up as much as they could, just like everything else!
    i need an ephant mon, who wants to help? :D

Originally posted by Cool Han Luke
    This is going way out on a limb(WAY OUT)...Hasbro could build an almost to scale version of the ship and instead of Hasbro working on the packaging of this behemoth, have the ship broken down into small sections and sold seperately ie. the bridge,the cargo bay etc. and when you get all of the parts, it fits together to make one Star Destroyer! Way out there sorry had to mention it but this was something I dreamt along time ago.....
    You realize a to-scale Star Destroyer would be about two city blocks long and 20+ft high? How many "small sections" would that be broken into?

Michael Fight is bringing his 35 ft long Blockade Runner to Celebration II.

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
    What about the idea of making just the Conning Tower part of the Star Destroyer and have it open up into a bridge playset like the vintage version.
    Interesting compromise, but that scene from the movie "BIG" comes to mind. Near the end of the film, when the toy company is evaluating the transformer-like "building" and Tom Hanks kind of dances it around. He says, "I don't get it, it doesn't do anything." The conning tower is a cool display piece, but you (and kids) couldn't really play with it once it was folded up. All you could do is dust it off every once in a while.

The Queen's ship is on the borderline of being a managable size for flight playability and big enough to incorporate plenty of interior rooms for scene re-creation. The Star Destroyer of this size would be roughly the same length and overall width, but would have the added bonus of height into which Vader's chamber could be added.

It really wouldn't be too big to comprehend or overly expensive to justify purchase. It would be utterly cool.

Addendum: My overall mission would be to bring a re-creation of the exteriors of these ships and playsets to the play portion of the set itself. If you remember the vintage Death Star and vintage Star Destroyer, both were short on the asthetics dept. They just didn't look like the things from the movies. I truly believe that the more a toy looks recognizable from the outside, the more likely consumers will buy it, no matter what the cost, especially if it is from the original trilogy, which everyone loved. (Not the prequels, which most people didn't.)

Originally posted by evenflow
    I am thinking that it would have to be bigger than the Queens ship.
    Bigger?

Good god man the queen's ship is huge, by toy standards!

I think hasbro will be hard to convince that a ship that size would sell, considering the royal starship didn't exactly fly off the shelves with it's huge price tag.

Still, it would be cool.
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

Originally posted by billfremore

I think hasbro will be hard to convince that a ship that size would sell, considering the royal starship didn't exactly fly off the shelves with it's huge price tag.

Again, I blame that on the movie lead-in being not so popular with the adults (read: the one's with the cash). If a parent isn't into the movie, they are less likely to fork over $50 to $100 bucks or more on a toy from that movie.

Nearly everyone fondly remembers the original trilogy and nostalgic recollections would motivate them to drop more cash for a killer looking Star Destroyer moreso than an expensive shiny ship from a movie they didn't like that much.

It'll sell. Build it and they will come.

by Stillakid
    All you could do is dust it off every once in a while.
    Duuuuuude. You could totally have dogfights and attack it and have spinning out of control A-Wings fly into it. The "Dust it off" theory applies to your folded up DeathStar ball also. Closed up appeals to collectors who enjoy accuracy. Opened up appeals to the kiddies with all it's play features. Blinking lights and sound effects and little Vader chambers that go "WHOOSH"...

I agree that OT vehicles would do better than Prequel trilogy toys. It's a different standard because the OT stuff appeals to adult collectors who remember when...

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

The "Dust it off" theory applies to your folded up DeathStar ball also.
    You got me there.

I got to thinking about the vintage Space 1999 Eagle. A friend of mine had one (sadly, I didn't), but I remember it looking exactly like the one on tv, with some added play features. It was fairly big, but so much fun because we didn't have to pretend that it looked like a real Eagle.

Originally posted by stillakid

Again, I blame that on the movie lead-in being not so popular with the adults (read: the one's with the cash). If a parent isn't into the movie, they are less likely to fork over $50 to $100 bucks or more on a toy from that movie.

Nearly everyone fondly remembers the original trilogy and nostalgic recollections would motivate them to drop more cash for a killer looking Star Destroyer moreso than an expensive shiny ship from a movie they didn't like that much.

It'll sell. Build it and they will come.
    I was thinking the exact same thing after I had put up my original post.
    There would definately be more interest in that ship.
    My biggest problem with it would be where to put it, but that's something to be addressed in another thread in another forum
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!