Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Why doesn't Leia see Anakin?

At the end of Jedi, I always thought it would be more poignant for Leia to also see her father's spirit. No, she's not trained or anything, but the ability for the Jedi spirits to be seen rested with them and not the living.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, anecdotes?

Well, if it's any consolation, in one of the books set a few years after ROTJ, the spirit of Anakin Skywalker appears to Leia and tries to talk to her, but she gets mad at him. I can't remember what book, can anyone else?

I found it. It's called The Truce at Bakura.

Thumbs up

She couldn't see him because she wasn't one with the force yet. She still had to learn.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

But the control over "sight" was with the dead guys. Not to mention that now Leia is choke full o' midichlorians. She should "see dead people" all she wants.

I think Evenflow hit it right on the head, she may be strong with the Force, but she's not trained to use it, to see what it's showing her.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Despite Leia's obvious (by Jedi) relationship to Luke, and ultimately Vader/Anakin, Leia was not in the least bit adept with the force. One might argue that her "connection" to Luke in Empire (Cloud City escape) was a sure sign of this, but at the time her relationship to Luke was unknown so such conjecture is rendered mute by virtue of imposing knowledge from Jedi onto a scene from Empire (and it is a stronger arguement that Luke used the Force to contact Leia as she was the only one he knew well and who was still concious (Han being frozen and all).
    If you pay close attention to these things, Leia herself provides the answer in Jedi. Though she is related, probably **** full of Midichlorians (ugh!), and almost certainly "the Force is strong with her", by her own admission Luke posesses a power that she "doesn't understand and could never have". Luke disabusing her of that perception could do little to instantly project her into the "larger world" that he now inhabits. You have to remember, a connection to the Force is a lost art. Leia, though strong in the Force by lineage, is still blind to it by conditioning.
    I am the King of Justification!

In reference to the insistance that the "control over sight" rested in the hands of the spirits (proposing that the spirits of the deceased Jedi could control who did and did not see them), though a compelling arguement, Ben and Yoda (whom with the exception of perhaps a passing glance before his demise) Leia had never seen and Anakin (who as far as he knew Leia did not know was her father) really would have had no reason to reveal themselves to her at all.
    Why scare the poor girl with a ghostly trinity?

Originally posted by JediCole
    In reference to the insistance that the "control over sight" rested in the hands of the spirits (proposing that the spirits of the deceased Jedi could control who did and did not see them), though a compelling arguement, Ben and Yoda (whom with the exception of perhaps a passing glance before his demise) Leia had never seen and Anakin (who as far as he knew Leia did not know was her father) really would have had no reason to reveal themselves to her at all.
    Why scare the poor girl with a ghostly trinity?
    I think that my reason for wanting Leia to see her father is that is would give that glimmer of suggestion to the audience that there is more to come. As ROTJ ends right now, there is definite finality to it all as if the whole of the Empire dissolved immediately upon the explosion. Remember back to ANH, as final as it seemed, GL gave us that shot of Vader getting back under control then bugging out of there. We knew that it wasn't over.

Lightbulb

How about this? Ben chose to appear before Luke in ESB and ROJ. Why couldn't Anakin, Yoda, and Ben chose to appear only for Luke? Why would Leia need to see them; she's never (at least in these pre-E2 & E3 days) met Yoda, knows Obi-Wan only through her adoptive father's stories, and has grown to hate the Sith Lord her real father became. Luke needs closure, to justify his choices and training. Leia just needs the Rebel victory. And Han.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega