Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs up

I couldn't really withstand buying the Droids and Ewoks cartoon lines. I ended up getting my complete set on the card for 200.00. Every one is MOMC. Boba Fett, A-wing Pilot, Wicket, all of them.

It just gets a little crazy when you are only missing like 5 figures/coins and they are all so rare and expensive. :

1. Vlix
    2. Telescoping Ben
    3. Telescoping Vader
    4. Lili Ledy Tusken Raider
    5. 63rd Up-Lifted Light saber

(I still need a Bib Fortuna coin and a Leia Boussh coin. I am also looking for a vinyl cape Jawa, I have one but am not sure if it is real. I didn't pay for it, so I don't mind but it would be cool to know for sure.)

It would also be great to get the Droids and Ewok prototypes, but again I would go crazy getting the money and trying to find them. There are alot of cool prototypes I would love to get my hands on. EX: Droids, Ewoks, Wookie Family, & Yarna D'al Gargan.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I really can't comment too accurately on the price jump/decrease for carded stuff since I just started recollecting vintage stuff this past summer. To me it seems like some stuff like 12 backs and other items from ANH are just so dang high while ROTJ figures are much lower. Does it have to do with age or availability? I sure don't know.

My impression is that some items seem to be relatively cheap, like loose complete figures from ROTJ and ESB, to a lesser extent. However, ANH figures are going for a higher price and are in less supply from outlets such as ebay. I'm just taking things on an item by item basis right now. If it seems to be a good deal compared to what's out there and the condition is decent, then I'll snatch it up.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I think the reason ROTJ stuff isn't holding it's value is because by then everyone had caught on that these toys were going to be huge and ordered bazillions of them. Thus there are more of them to go around. Kind of like Ep1 toys.

Another reason for ANH carded figures are going high is because back then people were opening their toys and now everybody wants them,they are in demand which can cause high prices!
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Well, thatswhat I am saying. The demand has gone down for alot of things.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Arrow

However many Vintage figures there were, that number has stayed the same. Where as POTF2 or POTJ semed to increase all the time, therefore making collectors want these "new" ones. Some of these "new" ones are simply variants. There aren't many Vintage variants, and new ones seldom appear anymore. So (take a deep breath), once collectors finish what they're looking for, that's it. Or, like me, they just start looking for doubles or ones in better shape. But if that's the case, then the demand isn't so high.
    I also realize I may not have stated that my collection is probably 95% loose, which made it much cheaper to build. You carded collectors have your wallets endangered!
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I think the vintage SW line is what tipped everyone off that toys could be collected and resold for lots of money. Kind of like comic books. Anybody remember the variant and deluxe covers craze for comics in the 90s? How much are those worth again? Meanwhile truly rare and milestone comics still climb in value. Last I checked Amazing Fantasy #15 (1st apearance of Spider-Man) was selling for over $40,000!!

Of all the SWAF lines, I believe only the vintage ones will hold their value.

Exclamation

When E1 toys had been out for about a month, I had several adults (who realized I was a SW collector) ask me which ones would be worth the most. I always said within the next 2-5 years, probably none of these, but in 20 years, probably the main characters like Anakin, Maul, Qui-Gon, or Padme. This always received the same response of "oh." Star Wars = money money in many people's minds. bigbarada's right; the vintage line had a 20+ year jump on the E1 line.

So, BB, what comics are you kicking yourself for not buying at pre-1990s prices? I missed out on some like X-Men #1 ($300), Amazing Fantasy #15 ($500), Spiderman #14 ($75), or Fantastic 4 #48 ($50). D'oh!
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I almost bought the first appearance of Wolverine in Incredible Hulk #181(??) for $150. But I didn't.

Although if I was a little more dishonest I could've scored an Amazing Fantasy #15 for free!! Here's the story: I was in my favorite comic book store as a kid (circa 1990), it was just me and the shopkeeper, when in walks this guy with a copy of AF15 in his hand. No bag or protection of any kind, he slaps it down on the counter and asks, "How much will you give me for this?" The shopkeeper's eyes widened as he said, "I couldn't give you less than $2000, but that would break me!" They talk for a minute and then they both go to the back to check out the adult comics, which I wasn't old enough to look at yet. Leaving me and AF15 alone, I looked at the comic and looked at the door, for some reason decided against stealing it and went home.

What do you think? Did I make the right choice?

Originally posted by bigbarada
    I almost bought the first appearance of Wolverine in Incredible Hulk #181(??) for $150. But I didn't.

Although if I was a little more dishonest I could've scored an Amazing Fantasy #15 for free!! Here's the story: I was in my favorite comic book store as a kid (circa 1990), it was just me and the shopkeeper, when in walks this guy with a copy of AF15 in his hand. No bag or protection of any kind, he slaps it down on the counter and asks, "How much will you give me for this?" The shopkeeper's eyes widened as he said, "I couldn't give you less than $2000, but that would break me!" They talk for a minute and then they both go to the back to check out the adult comics, which I wasn't old enough to look at yet. Leaving me and AF15 alone, I looked at the comic and looked at the door, for some reason decided against stealing it and went home.

What do you think? Did I make the right choice?
    You should have taken it,man! What were you THINKING!?!?!?!

Were there any camera's in the shop???
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious