Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TIE Interceptor... too little, too late

It's a good thing Hasbro is releasing the TIE Bomber because the Interceptor does NOT deserve to wear the "POTJ" name. I'm not saying it's terrible, it's not, but it's really not up to the current standards. It's a reuse of the original TIE pod without the electronics with some of the same old sloppy design flaws that the original had (that hatch still sucks, even with the peg to hold it in place, and the cockpit w/ sticker is LAME), and the wings are a bit too loose -- heck, even the "cinema scene" style packaging doesn't really work here.

It could be a lot worse - it could be the POTF2 TIE Fighter - but as it stands, I think Hasbro didn't really do very well here and this toy should have come out as-is 2 years ago. Today, Hasbro has been increasing quality and shouldn't resort to toys like this.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thumbs down

I have to agree. It is just not anything special. I also just read that the Tie Pilot has bendable knees, but since the cockpit is the same as the vintage one it has to be put in straight leg. I am passing on ths one.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Well, I think that the mold on the TIE Interceptor is great! It was awesome the firts time around and now that Hasbro has added the sculpting on the wings its even better. Granted, the pod could have been redesigned but I don't believe that takes away from the vehicle.

This is all just my opinion but I still like it.
    Last edited by Starfig873; 08-30-2001 at 10:56 AM.
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

Originally posted by evenflow
    I have to agree. It is just not anything special. I also just read that the Tie Pilot has bendable knees, but since the cockpit is the same as the vintage one it has to be put in straight leg. I am passing on ths one.
    yup, bending knees on legs that have to be arrow-straight in order to fit in the cockpit seat... a seat who's gimmick (raising up and down) doesn't even appear on this toy.

I forgot to mention, the wings are also surprisingly soft and feel like they'll warp if I set the ship down on a table.

Starfig, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree with it. I'm not unhappy to have it, I'm just not thrilled with Hasbro's less-than-impressive work on this. Still, I'd recommend it to anybody who doesn't have the original or the POTF2 TIE Fighter.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'll agree that the Pilot to ship makes no sense. I'm sure Hasbro felt giving the figure the articulation at the knee would somehow justify the shortcomings of the Tie. The ship still looks pretty cool but they could have made it better.

Just like anything else they have had to offer us from the current line and before - always room for improvement. Instead of making the product a "10" Hasbro makes it an "8" having given us a product that should have been better( CT Stormtrooper- perfect sculpt but no wrist articulation) and leading collectors into believing that the next version of that particular toy will be an improvement. We keep Hasbro in business and they keep the less than perfected sculpts and models coming. The day they make their products a "10" is the day Hasbro stops making figures and closes shop.
    Last edited by Cool Han Luke; 08-31-2001 at 11:14 PM.

If this ship was an 8 to me, like Vader's TIE is, then this thread wouldn't exist, but the Interceptor is like a 6.5 at best, and there's no excuse for the wobbly head on the TIE Pilot.

Sean the Hutt
    It would be nice to find one to complain about!

I will still buy it like I did with the B-wing which we all know wasn't worth the price.[still like it through]I just want it to complete my collection of starfighters.I think they[Hasbro]need to bring back the sound FX to thier ships to justify the prices they are charging.
    Last edited by Obi-Don; 09-02-2001 at 11:14 AM.
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

Yeah. I was excited when I heard that it was coming out. Upon seeing the pictures from the conventions, my excitement died. There was so little effort put into this. It's basically the same job they did on the TIE fighter from 1995. If they had totally redone the central pod and cockpit, I probably would be at TRU right now looking for it. As it is, I'm going to pass. I will gladly buy that TIE Bomber, though. That one looks like a 10, if you ask me.

Jeditricks mentioned:

I forgot to mention, the wings are also surprisingly soft and feel like they'll warp if I set the ship down on a table.

I think the reason for this is a current toy safety code more than anything...the wings taper down to a point & in hard plastic, that could be pretty deadly to a little kid (consider how good the little tykes have gotten killing themselves with fast food toys). Remember Aurra Sing's rifle is pretty soft too.

As for this reissue....I'm kinda on the fence. The figure follows the footsteps of the lame one that comes with the B-Wing. After the excellent resculpts of the Biker Scout & the Sandtrooper (& the now-classic Commchip Stormie) would it have KILLED Hasbro to take that extra step and redone the TIE Pilot with the same quality?

I also think it's a bit of a cheap shot to use these old molds & not include the features that were on the original releases like the lights & sound. Considering the price points, it would have been nice. (At least the wings have sculpted panels now instead of the horrible decals the came with the originals).

I also don't mind the packaging....while it's not as effective as the B-Wing, it makes getting one in mint condition alot easier.

I'm still looking forward to the TIE bomber...the first new imperial ship in many years!