Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old wishes

Old wishes

It's been a while, but when I was a kid, I used to dream that one day, I'd have enough money to buy a VCR and a copy of Star Wars and just have it playing on a loop all day long.

Of course when I was a kid, VCR were top-loaders and VHS movies cost $80 each. We've come a long way... and so have I.

I also remember having a bookshelf near my bed where I'd display little bits o' junk I'd collected. And I also had the three Star Wars novelization on the bottom shelf. In 83 (after ROTJ), I had envisioned where I'd put the additional six books for the saga (totally nine).

Of course I never dreamed that I'd move 2500 miles to California or that my parents would sell the house I grew up in. But those memories are as clear to me today as the day I drreamed them up.

Did you have any old wishes or expectations? For the movies? For yourself?

I once wished I would own an electronic 1701-D and I eventually did. There was a kid in my elementary school who used to come to school all of the time with new toys and sh-t as well. Now I'm in that position. Most of it was Batman movie stuff he had.

I've wished for years that they'd bring back It's Garry Shandling's Show. Maybe it could replace Grey's Anatomy or The Office.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I had the shopping-cart-in-the-toy-store-when-I-have-enough-money dream many a time. I also used to think I'd operate an auto repair shop out of my home, be a stand-up comedian, create a turret-style tower (complete with Emperor's throne room round window) for all my SW collectibles (still not sure if this one's unfufilled yet... ), return to my old school in disguise, and be on Double Dare and win the Ultimate Challenge.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I always dreamed of winning one of those all-you-can-fit-in-the- shopping-cart-at-the-toy-store-giveaways too. Even had it planned out in my mind which aisles I'd hit first what exactly I'd grab.

I was sure I'd have a Landspeeder or Speeder Bikes in my garage by now too. Damn Big Oil, holding back repulsor technology. Bastards!
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

I always wanted to be on Supermarket Sweep....and Double Dare.....and Fun House hosted by JD Roth.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

I used to get so frustrated that my parents and grandparents stopped buying us toys after a certain age (9) because they considered us too old for them. So I used to always tell myself that, when I grew up, I would buy as many Star Wars figures as I wanted and no one would tell me no.

Little did I realize that the line would be completely dead by the time I started making my own money. Probably why I approached collecting so fervently when the line relaunched in 1995. However, I always envisioned loading my shopping cart down with ROTJ carded figures, which is why seeing the ROTJ cards on shelves again in 2004 was such a surreal experience for me.

I also dreamed of making enough money to have a lifesized AT-AT built in my front yard.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I used to dream about owning one of every Star Wars toy out there. My dreams fell short their. I also dreamed I would be married with four kids, Next June I am getting married to a woman with three kids, and I have one of my own, so that one isn't to far off, except I had dreamed of all four being kids of my own makng.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I wished people would read my long posts, but since most of my wishes never come true, I'll keep it short.

I wished I'd meet the girl of my dreams, my soulmate, Miss Right - and we'd leave my own family far behind and live in a very large house with lots of live animals - I'd basically collect a zoo that included huge aquatic tanks and a polar environment as well. And I'd be friends with all the animals so I could play with the bears or swim with the sharks. I'd have my lady, and that'd be all I needed.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

All the sentiments have been very nice to read .... but I kinda meant what were your "dreams" regarding Star Wars, if any.