Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Please Sir Steve What is a Scalper?

This term is used willy nilly hear, and I just want to know once and for all. What is a Scalper? Please Sir Steve You are a man who knows a lot, so can you clue the rest of us in.

Thank you,
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

ask him if he has any episode 2 figure photos he's hiding.

Well, it is a term that is used by many in a variety of ways.

IMHO, a SCALPER is anyone who buys figures (or some other merchandise) directly from a retailer (K-Mart, Wal-Mart, TRU, etc.) with the purpose of selling it (over retail price) in order to make a profit.

1. SCALPERS make life miserable because they deny collectors and kids reasonable access to SW merchandise. This is done by buying up all the newer or HTF items at local retail stores.

2. SCALPERS generate a secondary market filled with over-inflated prices. By over-inflated, I mean charging BIG $$$ for something that will be more readily available, for say $5.88, in 2 weeks. hehehe! This is done by buying up all the newer of HTF items at local retail stores.

IMO, anyone who buys direct from Hasbro can charge what they want.....it's called free enterprise. Places like Brian's Toy's get away with selling new figs for $25.00 a pop because people are dumb enough to pay that much for them!

But hey, Brian didn't deny anyone from going to Wal-Mart and paying $5.88! SCALPERS do!!!

I do not consider someone a scalper if they buy say, 3 of each new figure. Say, 1 to open, 1 for MOMC, and say 1 to trade for another new figure (or an older one).

Traders (honest ones anyway) are only interested in helping out fellow collectors as well as filling holes in their collections.

Just MHO

MTFBWY
    May the force be with you.

I'm not sir Steve but I really don't think you need him to provide a definition for you.
    I personally think the above definition is about the best one you'll ever get.
    You are right it can be a little confusing the way the word is used here at times.And most,I think,would agree that the definitions we've seen posted here from various dictionarys don't really speak to this issue clearly.My opinion anyway.I will forom now on refer to "them" as profiteers.Seems fitting and I think everyone gets the point.What do you think?
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.

scalper
    \Scalper\ (sk[a^]lp"[~e]r), n.
    1. One who engages in the reselling of something, such as tickets, at a price higher than the established value.
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

based on that definition, a legit wholesaler could be a scalper.
    now how about those secret episode 2 toy pics?

Originally posted by derek
    based on that definition, a legit wholesaler could be a scalper.
    Many are...

Originally posted by derek
    now how about those secret episode 2 toy pics?
    How can you put a value on something not out yet? If one obtained E2 toys months ago and sells them for a high price, is there is something wrong with that?
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Off topic...but Sir Steve released a fake story about the Imperial Shuttle and bluffed FAO into revealing some info about their plans down the road. I submit that we start all sorts of fake stories about stuff we want to see and see who bites!

Back on topic...If Skiffs and Y-Wings were exclusively Target releases and online retailers are selling them for more than what Target had them priced at, that makes them a scalper in my book. If Hasbro is selling direct, then they are confused by the meaning of the word "Exclusive" methinks.

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
    Back on topic...If Skiffs and Y-Wings were exclusively Target releases and online retailers are selling them for more than what Target had them priced at, that makes them a scalper in my book. If Hasbro is selling direct, then they are confused by the meaning of the word "Exclusive" methinks.
    Yes, but you see..they typically arn't exclusives overseas, so the on-line retailers can get their accounts as overseas accounts, and then they can sell the exclusives, just like any other store. Sure it's a little shifty, but frankly I would rather pay 5-10 bucks more to gurantee I get one, and not have to hunt or resort to Ebay.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

That's a very good question SS.One I'm not sure I can really answer clearly.Is there anything wrong with that?Everyone is responsible for their own actions so if a persons impatience costs them money thats their problem right???
    But the other side of the coin is this,do dealers or people holding an auction or what ever have a social responsibility to not take advantage of people who are uninformed or just impatient??Where is the line of reason between these two??
    This whole scalping thing for me boils down to moral issue more than a technical one.If you are taking advantage of someone it's wrong.If you are emptying stores of product to try and corner the market for a Item(s) then that is wrong.
    I think there are a enough cases out there that we all can agree are scalping.period.Some are not so black and white if we look at it honestly.They are to me anyway.Collecters should not profit from one another right?Well how do you define profit.See what I mean??what is excessive profit and does it depend on how the products were obtained? Is the value of an item really all that different from MSRP??Interesting term value .Isn't that a relative term as well??
    See,It goes on forever and ever.It's a personal judgement call we each have to make.Some cases are a whole lot easier than others.
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.