Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jabba

Jabba

Other than the fact that Jabba was digitally entered into ANH:SE, why is it he looks smaller, has different eyes, and has a completely different dorsal coloration than when he is in ROTJ?

Someone screwed up. Or they didn't do a thorough job, which explains why Han was moved so as to step on Jabba's tail, but his hand still passes right through Jabba's head at one point.

AC Crispin wrote a trilogy of books about Han's pre-ANH adventures, and it was the first to deal with this question. Apparently Hutts almost triple in size very quickly as they reach middle age, and they often change colors at this point. The Essential Guide to Alien Species goes even further and says their demeanor changes; it includes a quote by Han that explains how Jabba is almost fatherly in ANH:SE and downright nasty in ROTJ.

Of course, Lucas messed that up when Jabba was fat and green in TPM. Various EU stories have said that Jabba has used a man named Heater and an alien named Mosep as decoys, so maybe he used a younger Hutt as a decoy as well.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I remember Heater from the radio drama...but...was he supposed to be a Hutt?
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

I don't think Jabba's big change from ANH to ROTJ is that hard to believe... until you factor in Ep 1. In ROTJ, Jabba is a kingpin druglord who never has to move except to eat frogs and smack 3PO around, but in ANH, he's out and about, he's on the move, making his own deals and taking care of business in person, so of course he's going to be slimmer and healthier-looking.

Then Ep 1 adds Jabba in for no reason at all and ruins that whole theory. So, between the size, the power, and the phoney Bib Fortuna, I'm rewriting Ep 1 in my mind to have Jabba and Bib not exist.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    So, between the size, the power, and the phoney Bib Fortuna, I'm rewriting Ep 1 in my mind to have Jabba and Bib not exist.
    Since you can never remove them are you going to change their names in your mind to say... Gabba and Gib?
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Thumbs up

I think this is a great example of how, if you truly love something...you just have to look the other way sometimes at it's imperfections.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

"Gabba and Gib" heh heh, or perhaps I'll use the worst gimmick of all, the characters we see in Ep 1 are Jabba's and Bib's fathers who, coincidentaly have the same names.

DC, that'd be more accurate if I did truly loved Ep 1, but I don't.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by Darth Cruel
    I think this is a great example of how, if you truly love something...you just have to look the other way sometimes at it's imperfections.
    I have to concur with Darth Cruel on this one. However, in the end you must understand that in the production of Star Wars films a great deal of the "back story" created for those who have to have that kind of thing is largely ignored, forgotten, or in all likelyhood, not even known. Everyone seems to assume that the LucasFilm team is as steeped in the rich retro-history of the Star Wars Universe as they are. If one really delves deeply into this "history" you will find constant and glaring inconsistancies. Why? Because as much of an effort as LucasFilm puts into reviewing new material, no one really pays enough attention to every minute detail (except fans) so many things just fall through the cracks leaving fans to pose questions on forums like this asking why, (I now offer an example based on conjecture and not an actual literary source) if (fill in the blank character) was trained by (fill in the blank character) according to (fill in the blank source) did he shoot at him when he saw him on (fill in the blank planet) in (fill in the blank book). Ultimately there is not a cut and dried continuity and as a result many "facts" suffer.
    But in reality, The Special Editions were the first foray into CGI characters that LucasFilm had yet done. Jabba was something of a challenge due to the fact that Lucas truly had NO IDEA in the 70's that Jabba would be a giant slug EVER! Otherwise Han never would have been allowed to walk behind the actor and cause the problem of placement that forced the animators to use the awkward tail step. You assume too much about the origins of Jabba's design. In the 70's, between Star Wars and Empire, Marvel Comics published an adaptation of the movie and launched a monthly series. Twice in the series, Jabba the Hutt appeared in person. He was NOT a slug, he was not a portly human, but instead looked much like an alien seen walking the opposite direction of Luke, Ben, and the droids as they entered the docking bay. We used to refer to him as the true Walrus Man as he had a walrus like face and huge wiskers. On film he looked rather pink, Marvel used the same head and made him yellow in color. In the adaptation of the comic they reproduced (for the first time anywhere) the very interaction between Han and Jabba seen in ANHSE, almost line for line. I'd heard (or read) the line, "Why'd you have to fry poor Greedo", back in 1977. About a year or two later, before Empire, Jabba returned in a story called "Whatever Happened to Jabba the Hutt?" and was aparantly killed!
    In the end, the SE version of Jabba just stinks and by TPM, the state of the art in CGI was better (and a better artist was tapped to do the animation and design). Another arguement for why Jabba looked different was that, in his palace, he was in a poorly lit and smokey enviornment. Also, it would not be outside the realm of possibility that Hutts can change color to some degree based on ambiant light and envornment.

Thumbs up

LOL! I hear you JT. I can't let that go either. I'll restrict my last message to meaning the Original Trilogy.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

I think that there is always problems when you go back and add to a flim or a book.I do like the added parts to all the flims and I guess I don't pay to close attention to some details.I just try to take it all in as a whole and place myself in the Star WArs universe somewhere.The rest I put together in my mind[Whats left of it]I find if I spend to much time tring to figure out whats wrong I miss the right.I will admit thats there are holes and things I would have done different,but I didn't do it.I just enjoy it.
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."