Hybrid View

Exclamation Where did the PS2 memory cards go?

I recently bought a Playstation 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2. And I do not want to play 5 straight hours to beat the game so I went to Wal-Mart to buy a memory card. They were all out!!! So I called KB Toys and they were all out. Then I called K-Mart and they were all out. But the guy that I talked to at K-Mart said that they were pulled off the shelf and that there will be more out in a few weeks. Does anyone know what happened?
    Khoo-Ha...Please Pass The Jelly.

If they were pulled from the shelves they were probably a shipment of defective cards. I can't tell you for certain however. This is the first time I've heard anything about it.

A few weeks ago, a friend was looking for one but he was told that they were very hard to come by in our state. For whatever that was worth, we did find a small stash of them at a local "Wal-Mart type" store . . . I'm not sure how accurate those stories of shortages were, but I have heard of problems similar to yours as well

I too just went through this and they were not pulled from shelves, that's just a scare-tactic rumor to jack up aftermarket prices. According to IGN, Sony stopped all licensee companies from making official memory cards last year, and apparently made only enough to cover the Xmas 2001 season. Rumor has it that the idea was to make the upcoming PS2 harddrive more tempting by making the memcards harder to find, but most likely it was just Sony not really expecting such a huge demand for these things and being caught unprepared.

BTW, after returning the lame 16meg Recton-made card to TRU after learning it required you to insert the included CD every single time you want to use the knockoff card, my mom ended up finding one at the KB toys inside sears last week for regular price, it was awesome! Those knockoff cards were selling like hotcakes though.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I worked in the game industry for a long time, and one of the many things I learned, is to never, EVER buy generic memory cards. Especially the ones who promise 10,000,000 blocks of memory. It IS too good to be true. Usually resulting in you losing EVERYTHING.

Sounds like the problem that they had with PS1 for about 6-8 months after launch. It was the first system to NOT come with an RF adapter. Most people were COMPLETELY confused by this, not to mention the extreme number of people that did not have stereo tv's, or they just couldn't figure out how to use the stereo cables if you explained it to them.

Sony had made nowhere near anough RF's to go around, and they were selling for 25 bucks.We would sell them out in 10 minutes. We had more calls about RF's than games. It was crazy.

Of course, on launch day, PS2 memory cards were short as well. Our store went to all the other ones in the mall to buy all of theirs, just so we could fill our pre-orders. There was a shortage for a few months. I am out of touch now, so who knows what happened, but it sounds a lot like the "earthquake" story Nintendo used to explain the shortage of Game Boy Colors a few years ago.

Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
    I worked in the game industry for a long time, and one of the many things I learned, is to never, EVER buy generic memory cards. Especially the ones who promise 10,000,000 blocks of memory. It IS too good to be true. Usually resulting in you losing EVERYTHING.
    Isn't that the truth. Going generic is usually best as it is cheaper and you get almost, if not exactly, the same thing as the name brand product (medicine, cereal, etc.). Unfortunately video game products are almost always the rare exception to the rule.

I know exactly how to hook up a stereo and how to take apart a VCR and put it back together again, I just don't have a TV with modern RCA video inputs that's compatible with my N64 or PS2 or DVD player. Generic RF switches are usally ok for me, and generic controllers are a crap shoot, but I totally agree that generic memory is like tap dancing on a land mine.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.