View Poll Results: Should a fan site become an "official" fan site?

Voters
261. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 12.26%
  • No

229 87.74%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Should a fan site become an "official" fan site?

It looks like another site (site #1) bought a big named site (site #2) last year and is trying to convince the people at LucasFilm that site #1 should be the "official" Star Wars FAN site. If their plan works, site #1 and site #2 will merge. Now this disturbs me because why should any fan site become an official site? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the fan site? Why have StarWars.com? Why have StarWars.Hasbro.com? Are they wanting the power to control other fan sites content because thats's the only way to get ahead? Please, don't just vote, let us know what you think.

NOTE: The site that was bought was NOT a "collecting" site, but much bigger. Actually it was the company that was bought but they are one in the same (the site is incorperated). If you look closely at their advertising system, they are using the same advertising agency and programming. In this case, I would NOT want to use, "the force".
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

The thing that makes a "Fan Site" an actual "Fan site'' is its uninvolvement with Lucasfilm. And then, what's to say that one fan site is betterr than the next? If you want official, go to Starwars.com. That irks me that one site out there thinks there so good and better than everyother site and should become the "official" fan site.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Oh for cripes sake, it was bad enough when they bought out that other site. Because I actually liked them, better then the site that bought it. But now they seriously wanna become an "official" Fan site? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? That's about as bad as the recent DVD release of the "Army of Darkness" that was labeled as the "official bootleg edition".

Again, any wonder why I primarily stick to here. I didn't think that anything could be as bad as that picture situation with them, from earlier in the week. But as usual, it's nice to see that my expectations have been surpassed. You have a loyal forum member here, Sir Steve. Infact your site is my homepage.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Check the note I added in my initial post.
    "SirSteve"

Let me say first I am blissfully ignorant of the situation in question.I am however informed enough to see that someone is apparently trying to corner the market on info and whatnot.
    Unacceptable.Why should I as a fan unofficial or otherwise be at ease with this idea?
    The potential for misinformation and even elitism and censorship are overwhelming to me.
    The arrogance!!
    I personally would not jump ship from here to an "official site" just for the title.
    If this goes through then I'm assuming the info posted here would be limited?
    So be it,I'll still come here and I would make a point of never going there and would certainly never give any business to any advertiser of that site.I'd let my wallet scream my opinion on the matter.
    a fan site is just that, good or bad.they need to remain that way.There are enough "official sites" already.
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.

It seems to me that everyone is going "political". Why can't there be a group of people who share views, opinions, thoughts, comments, and other neat stuff in a forum without having to label it "OFFICIAL". I enjoy reading all the information .. some official -- most unofficial(usually the more interesting).

I could really get into something here -- but for time and space sake I won't.

If a fan site becomes "official" then it becomes regulated, controlled, and basically -- not "fan-fun".

I vote for no confidence in this decision!!! Long live the Fan Sites!
    JediBoulton --
    Collecting SW Since 1978. -- Still going strong......

Originally posted by JediBoulton
    It seems to me that everyone is going "political". Why can't there be a group of people who share views, opinions, thoughts, comments, and other neat stuff in a forum without having to label it "OFFICIAL".
    You found it, here!

"SirSteve"

Thumbs down

I honestly have no idea to which sites SSG is referring to, but my opinion is that why wouldn't you want to have the fountain of all SW knowlege come from the original source. It kind of reminds me of Robocop where a private company ran the Detroit P.D. and screwed it all up. Plus, we only need one Rick McCallum in this world, not a whole bunch throwing monkey wrenches in the works. If we have to a have a Rick MC, I'd rather have the official one!
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I'll vote if you'd just cut the subterfuge and tell us who site #1 and site #2 are. My head is still hurting from trying to parse:
    The site that was bought that owns the site...
    "Three goofballs and a guy in a monkey suit."

Official Sites bring you just THAT --"Official News" If we want official news, we can ask Rick M, or even a better source, George L.

HOWEVER --

I might be George Lucas. I might be reading these sites to get "that opinion" that I might need for my next movie. After All, I am only human (maybe a clone -- but that is an opinion, and not allowed on an "official site").

My point is this -- everyone likes to share ideas, and whether we want to admit to it -- we all like hearing some of them. An Official site would kick these opinions out and thats just not right -- not to mention fun. The whole purpose of the "FAN SITE" is to have fun -- if I want Official -- I'll go back to work!

Again, just my opinion...
    JediBoulton --
    Collecting SW Since 1978. -- Still going strong......