Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I find the whole Star Trek vs. Star Wars to be somewhat purile, much like, "I bet Spider-Man could beat up Batman". Fortunatly most of you have taken a similar view and not perpetuated the sophomoric "verses" mentality that tends to prevail these days. Like so many others, I am a fan of both, though Star Wars is my first love and always will be. I had watched reruns of the classic Star Trek off and on for a few years before Star Wars burst onto the collective conciousness of the world. A good friend of mine at the time (about age 10) was a huge fan of the series and tried his best to get me interested. A few episodes did catch my fancy back then, like Space Seed and Journey to Babel.
    In the summer of '77 I saw Star Wars for the first time with no idea what it was going to be, and ultimately mean to me. I was blown away and it became the first movie I ever saw more than once. I managed to see it about twelve times that summer (I was only 11 and had to beg rides), and at least three more times the following summer when it was rereleased (yes, they did it before the Special Edition) for the one-year anniversary. When Empire was announced I was pumped! My best friend and I went to see Something Wicked This Way Comes just to see the preview for Empire. We even convinced the theatre employees to let us stay for the next showing just long enough to see the previews.
    However, we were equally pumped when Star Trek II was released. Oddly enough, a Star Trek film based on one of the few episodes of the series that had caught my attention as a child. Needless to say I couldn't wait.
    I was in college when Star Trek The Next Generation premiered on the fledgling UPN. I had read some info on the cast and their characters and found the whole thing wanting, but decided to watch none the less. I got hooked. Despite the hit-and-miss first seasons I stuck with it to the end. Deep Space Nine held an on-again, off-again status of facination with me, and Voyager never managed to hold me as a viewer (largely due to my intense dislike of the "quest show" formula, a show built around a single, defining quest that seems strangely inturrupted on a regular basis, examples being The Fugitive and Land of the Lost). I am anxious for the arrival of Enterprise, I think it holds promise.
    But in the end I have an undying love for Star Wars that allows me to even forgive such things as Ewoks, various elements of the Special Editions, and Episode I. May 2002 cannot get here fast enough.
    And in parting, a special thank you to George Lucas and the late Gene Roddenberry.

Originally posted by Lobito
    Its not pointless, the point is to discuss this subject in a FUN way (like El Chuxter wrote b4), this thread is not intended to divide the Trek and the SW fans. Nobody said it was "idiotic" to be a fan of both, on the contrary, i myself said that i like Star Trek, but as i said b4 i like Star Wars the most, thats all guys.

FUN
    It's fun for Chux because he doesn't really like Trek, but what if you don't have a bias towards one or the other, how much fun is it then? As for "pointless", take a look at the next 3 words in my post after that.

As for "nobody said it was idiotic to like both", while that's true of this thread, I've seen a lot of anti-Trek posts in the past year on Star Wars forums and most of the time, these threads turn into that sort of thing where Trekkies and -ers get bashed for liking SW. I've found that it's VERY common in the SW fandom.

JediCole, TNG didn't start the UPN network, it was a syndicated show, the #1 syndicated show till Baywatch hit its peak. UPN was originally conceived to start in the late '70s with the Star Trek II tv series which was converted into ST:The Motion Picture, and UPN was started with Voyager.

I couldn't agree more with the "hit-and-miss first season of TNG" comment, I was a HUGE fan of the show when it came on, but the first 2 seasons were just not as consistantly good as the rest for me.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Last edited by stillakid; 09-01-2001 at 06:46 PM.

Talking

Star Wars will always beat out Star Trek.....
    A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Lose

JediTricks, you mentioned Trekkies and Trekkers. Can you remind me of the difference?
    I'm a casual Trek fan, and while this was once explained to me long ago, I forgot what each term refers to specifically.

I for one find it foolish to bash Trek from a SW perspective. If it's not something you like, that's fine, but to dislike it in the same breath as endorsing SW, well that is really juvenile.

Arrow

Well, let's go to the tale of the tape:

Technology:
    SW - ancient at times, beat-up, a "less civilized time," often just there
    ST - clean, powerful, explained, why it's there/what it does

Philosophy:
    ST - protect and learn
    SW - come to grips with self/purpose

Enemies:
    SW - Empire, Sith, misc crime lords at times
    ST - Klingons (for a while), Jem Hadar (sp?), Borg, i.e. lots of bad guys!

I give up; too hard. Thet're different and similar all at once. I often find ST more boring than SW, but ST has more diversity in its characters. There are more on-the-surface situations in SW, but the space battles are hands-down better in SW.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

If in doubt, rewatch the Saturday Night Live skit featuring William Shatner addressing a Star Trek convention.

stillakid, read Shatner's book "Get A Life" (named after the infamous line you are mentioning), he didn't really understand and he had been pushed too hard at the time, but in the book, he doesn't like how that came off.

Bel-cam, another thing about Trek that's different than SW is that much of Trek is egalitarian while Star Wars is based on the heroes only, the little guys are unimportant for the most part. I would think of all people, you with the homage to Joseph Campbell would have got in touch with that one.

Caesar, I think the difference between "Trekkies" and "Trekkers" to most Trekkers is that the former is a term they find to be offensive, like "Star Warts" I mostly find the difference between the 2 terms to simply be how you look at how the outside world looks at you, I don't care that folks know I'm into Trek, but I don't wear it as a badge of pride either. I think "Trekker" is too snooty, too PC, and really does more to distance the group from the rest of humanity than the spock-ears.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

SW - come to grips with self/purpose
    This was the "heroes" homage I meant, JT. And just because I name myself after Mr. Campbell, do I have to be Joseph Campbell? Sure; I'd love it! Well, except for the being dead aspect. JC was a true original, and is sorely missed. I think if he was alive when Lucas was writing TPM, the story would have been much improved.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Question

Originally posted by JediTricks

It's fun for Chux because he doesn't really like Trek. . . .
    When did I say that? If that's how I've come across, it's not my intention. I just like Star Wars much more, and don't have the knowledge base to have much of an intelligent conversation about Star Trek. And I have to admit that sometimes things I see in bookstores and hobby shops--like Hamlet translated into Klingon, especially--weird me out. (Yeah, I know it's probably based on the line in ST6 (?): The Final Frontier, but why would someone translate Shakespeare into a made-up language? And why would a publisher produce it, or a reader buy it?) But at the same time, I recognize that Star Wars fans are as bad or worse than Trekkies/ers. (When was the last time you saw someone shouting victory when he found a Picard figure at TRU at a midnight sale?)

But I just read an article on Enterprise in Entertainment Weekly, and it looks like a step in the wrong direction. I see what you meant elsewhere about Rick Berg being akin to McCallum. It looks almost as wrong as the Smallville (AKA "Let's ruin the Superman mythos more than Lois & Clark dared to dream of"). Here's hoping that the live-action Tick show will give us one new series to look forward to!
    Tommy, close your eyes.