Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I just finished watching Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn on TNN. Still the best Trek movie ever made, probably the ESB of Star Trek. Funny, intense and sad at times; with an ending that was filled with a great loss combined with a bright hope for the future.

Khan, bloodsucker, you've managed to kill my entire crew...but like a poor marksman, you keep misssssing the target!

-- definitely one of the best Shatner lines ever!

Chux, I got that from your comment "Thanks! I pride myself on being woefully ignorant of Trek!" because I said your writeup of Trek vs SW page was "woefully ignorant of Trek and simply uses the most basic of Trek stereotypes as it's basis of battle." Sorry if I misunderstood you there.

Bel-cam, I didn't really get that you were saying that SW took an elitist attitude towards the universe from that statement. So get it right, or we're changing your name to "Lum-Cal Mic"... KIDDING!!!

Stilla, it's a great line, but all my trekkie brain was saying was "he misquoted it!"
    Still... Old... Friend! You've managed to kill just about everyone else but like a poor marksman you keep missing the target.
    Sorry, it's my nature. The "bloodsucker" line is:
    Khan you bloodsucker! You're gonna have to do your own dirty work now, do you hear me?!? DO YOU?!?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thanks for the correction. Sorry to the rest of you, but I don't count myself as a Trekker/Trekkie in any way (though, for reasons beholden only to me, the franchise has been good for me). Still, I kind of like my edited version. It makes those Shatner impersonations sound that much more dramatic.

As for Hamlet being translated, it's got to be based upon ST6:Undiscovered Country, where the writers actually had to rewrite the Klingon Language to include the term "to be", since neither word existed in the official Klingon Language when they wrote the film.

Ok, I'm going to post one based on the theme of this thread, and I'm giving the Defiant a major handicap by initially limiting the settings on her photon torpedoes to low yield (because basically, it'd be 2 torpedoes and then 0 Star Destroyers ):

Defiant NX-74205 vs. Star Destroyer---
    While the Defiant is less than one-fifth the length of the Star Destroyer and only 4 decks tall, the Defiant packs a punch powerful enough to take on Borg cubes and is much faster and more maneuverable than it's Imperial enemy.

The Defiant is thrown through time and space by a member of the Q-continuum and lands itself right in front of a Star Destroyer. The Defiant hails the SD, and the universal translator informs the Starfleet crew that they are to surrender their vessel to the SD or prepare to be destroyed by order of Emperor Palpatine and the Galactic Empire. The ship is set on red alert and the tactical officer loads all 4 torpedo bays with photon torpedoes, as well as charging the pulse phasers.

The Imperial Star Destroyer's sensors tell it's crew that the ship across from them has raised shields and readied weapons. The ISD's commander orders the deflector shields which envelope the bridge online, ordering forward turbolaser batteries to fire at will, and to ready fighters, ion cannons, and a breaching pod.

The Defiant's sensors tell it's crew that the SD's shields and weaponry have come online. The Defiant's sensors analyze the defensive capabilities of the SD and let the crew know that the SD's weaponry is laser- and gas-based which is archaic and virtually harmless to the Defiant's shields, it's shields are thin deflectors which are vulnerable above the bridge, short-range fighters are readying for assault, and a large battery of ion beam weapons are charging to attempt to disable systems through physical contact of enemy systems. The starfleet crew adjust shields to use the ion discharges from the ion cannons and set photon torpedoes for low yield settings with short-range safeties to avoid point-blank destruction upon impact of a small enemy fighter.

The Star Destroyer fires her first volley of turbolaser blasts, which deflect and disperse harmlessly off the Defiant's shields. The Defiant fires up her impulse engines and rushes the upper section of the main body of the SD. The SD's gunners attempt to track the highly-maneuverable enemy craft, but find it difficult to even land a shot on the small gray ship, much less make those blasts cause an impact. The Defiant fires her pulse phasers at the lower section of the bridge and the upper section of the main body of the SD, severely draining the SD's shields and knocks the hyperdrive capability out, making escape impossible. The Defiant passes between the bridge and main body and as she swings out beind the Star Destroyer, which is attempting a starboard turn away from the starfleet ship, the Defiant fires a short volley of photon torpedoes out her twin aft torpedo launchers, crippling the SD's main engines and knocking out several dorsal decks. The Star Destroyer begins to list as secondary engines try to compensate for the out of control turn the ship is making, and finally launches two waves of TIE Fighters at the enemy vessel.

Defiant makes a hard reverse and targets the bridge shield emitters, but as the SD's secondary engines kick in, the pulse phasers fire low and end up simply stricking rear decks. As the Defiant targets the relatively-thin spine of the Star Destroyer, a wave of 8 TIE Fighters emerges from under the SD's bulky main body and begin swarming. The Defiant makes no attempt to shake the small fighters, and blows 3 of them out of the stars in the first incoming assault with the upper phaser emitters, then makes another run at the Star Destroyer's bridge shields. One of the 5 TIE Fighters avoids phaser fire and kamakazies into the Defiant's forward shields, causing a large power loss to the forward shields - though some of that is redistributed to alternate systems while overlapping other shield systems, and engineering gets to work reparing the weakend shields. The Defiant turns back to face away from the rear of the SD, and puts a little distance between the chasing TIEs and then fires a photon torpedo into the 4 remaining TIEs, destroying 2.

As the Defiant swings back around to make a run on the underside of the Star Destroyer, 8 more TIE Fighters come at the starfleet ship along with 4 TIE Interceptors, but since they're coming directly into the path of the defiant, many are immediately wiped out by the Defiant's pulse phasers. The remaining TIEs scatter as the Defiant spins her way through the enemy fighters, but takes a glancing blow on the port shields from spinning into a TIE Interceptor, blowing out 3 port shield emitters and weakening overall shield strength on the Defiant and leaving a small gap. The Defiant fires a full volley at the main reactor of the SD, but that section is well-armored and takes the abuse with some damage, but not buckling. As the Defiant continues on, ion cannons are let loose from the underside of the SD, and the shields take the abuse and disperse it; Defiant then blasts the main hangar with full pulse phasers and photon torpedoes, crippling the TIE fighters about to launch. A bold TIE Interceptor catches up with the Defiant and lets loose, then goes in for a closer attack, but ends up flying up between the Defiant and SD so close that it ends up striking the hull of the SD and spinning into the nose of the Defiant, where the shields were weakened. Slight damage is taken to the Defiant's main deflector, but the hull remains intact and ablative armor systems send damaged layers of the outer hull into the path of the chasing TIEs.

The Defiant pulls around the nose of the Star Destroyer to face a powerful volley of turbolaser fire, which has little effect on the shields of the starfleet ship who even deflect several blasts back at the SD. Defiant sets her sights on the main bridge and disregards all other targets and firing weapons to concentrate on the shield emitters of the SD's bridge. Once the Defiant gets halfway up the Star Destroyer's main body, her angle of attack changes and she lets loose with both pulse phasers and full torpedo attacks both fore and aft. The SD takes heavy damage but again shakes the tight fire meant to destroy her deflector shields. The Defiant wipes out the final trailing TIEs when she flies over the bridge of the SD and comes around for a perpendicular attack on the Y-axis... in other words, the Defiant dives straight down into center of the Star Destroyer and lays all her firepower into the SD, crippling the firing centers for the upper section and most of the equatorial turbolasers.

Pulling out of the power dive, the Defiant's aft photon torpedo launchers finally hit their mark and rip the upper hull to shreds, taking out the secondary engines. Putting distance between the small powerful Starfleet experimental craft and the heavily-damaged Star Destroyer, the captain of the Defiant hails the Star Destroyer and offers them terms of surrender, but the SD's commander knows that to fail here is to face the wrath of Lord Vader, and returns the hail with a promise of immediate destruction to the Defiant's crew. The captain of the Defiant decides that there can be only one way to finish this, and has the tactical officer reset photon torpedoes to maximum yield without safeties, and the Defiant delivers 3 well-placed torpedoes into the weakend deflector shields and the hull of the Star Destroyer. The SD takes the hits and begins to explode in some sections, while forward sections fire everything they've got back at the Defiant. Once the shields are down, one more torpedo shot is laid into the center mass of the SD, but doesn't immediately explode, instead continuing into the body of the Star Destroyer far enough to set off the main reactor, which turns the Imperial ship into an Imperial fireball. The U.S.S. Defiant scans for survivors, finds none, and sets course for Earth at maximum warp.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Nice story! However, wimpy "starfleet" buses are no match for craft designed primarily to destroy. A full on volley from the Star Destroyer and a mass attack from the armada of TIE's would finish the battle off before the Galactic Associated Press had time to realize anything was going on.

But then again, I'm making this up as I go...

Question

How big is the USS Enterprise in comparison with the M. Falcon??
    As always...........L

So get it right, or we're changing your name to "Lum-Cal Mic"... KIDDING!!!
    I am saddened by this evil, spiteful, unforgivable insult, JT. To quote ALF: "These... are teardrops."

But I have to ask, JediTricks, do you prefer the Stackpole or Allston X-Wing series? That's much too treknical for me! One thing about SW vs. ST is that SW is less technical and more mystical (Campbell-esque?).
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Star Wars would wi 'cause Star Trek people have to follow thier stupid prime directive c*** and in star wars if somebedy makes you mad you just take a blaster and shoot.
    In Star Wars when a ship gets hit every body falls the same direction and in Star Trash everybody falls in different directions.

My vote is for Star Wars.