Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Talking

I would like to send JediTricks a Get Well Soon e-card, since he must obviously be in the hosptial for carpal tunnel syndrome. Dude, you must make your points in less sentences! Don't you know this in the MTV generation, where 20 seconds, or 3 sentences is all we can handle? And you can send me/us a card for my/our bipolar disorder, JT!

I saw a Harlan Ellison show (Sci-Fi Channel maybe?) where he blasted SW for being considered science fiction. Star Wars is NOT sci-fi. The "science" part is not so important; perhaps fantasy fiction is more appropriate.

Have I reached 20 seconds yet?
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 09-06-2001 at 03:35 PM.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

See, that's where you and I differ Bel-Cam, you are a moderator while I am a SUPER Moderator.

Stilla, I'm afraid there's a good reason which is really just a bad reason in disguise of the confines of Lucas' version of physics. Basically, the fleet is trapped between the DSII, the planet, and the Imperial Fleet. However, this is disregarding that there's nobody stopping them from backing out a bit or flying straight up or down on the Z-axis or simply fly around the Death Star. Now, as for the silliness with the Rebel captial ships just sitting there, one COULD say that these ships, once stopped, are VERY slow and have to fight momentum to get out of the way of the blast (remember that Home 1 and the other Mon Cal ship is around the same size as the slow and poorly maneuverable Star Destroyer). This doesn't explain the frigate getting shot however, as the frigates like the Medial Frigate appear to be significantly smaller than the Star Destroyers, but perhaps
    - A) the frigate was surrounded by too many capital ships and fighters and was simply unable to move; or
    - B) the frigate was simply in the line of fire since the DSII could recharge in 5 minutes and reaim and got unlucky. The DSII simply fires into a crowd of rebel ships and while missing dozens of them, hits one.

Ultimately however, the whole thing can be chalked up to "sloppy and convenient writing", something we've never accused Lucas of before, now have we.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'd say pretty much all of ROTJ could be chalked up to sloppy, convenient writing.

But then of course so could a number of Star Trek episodes and movies. Anybody remember Star Trek V: The Final Frontier?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by bigbarada
    I'd say pretty much all of ROTJ could be chalked up to sloppy, convenient writing.

But then of course so could a number of Star Trek episodes and movies. Anybody remember Star Trek V: The Final Frontier?
    That was Paramount's fault, they pulled a large chunk of the f/x budget away from Shatner before most were completed! Stupid Paramount.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Lightbulb

And, IF, there's... one thing you don't do... to Shatner, is take... his money. PARAMOUNT!!!!!!! Set movie on "suck."

Bragging about your SM status, JT, eh? Well, then -

(portion of this post edited by Bel-Cam Jos)

- and stay there! Kidding...

Star Wars rules, 'cuz Darth Vadar Lives! We had that line before "Spock Lives."
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

That was Paramount's fault, they pulled a large chunk of the f/x budget away from Shatner before most were completed! Stupid Paramount.
    Ok then how do you explain Star Trek 3 and Generations and Insurrection?

Besides, budget is no excuse for a bad movie. Star Wars had only a $10 million budget, laughable for a SP/FX movie even in 1976, but GL's vision came through to make one of the greatest movies of all time.

I think Shatner was the factor hindering ST5, his ego got the best of him and ruined what could have been a good movie.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

"Bragging about your SM status, JT, eh?"

Not at all BC, I'm just saying, "I'm thuuuuper, thankth for athking, all thingth conthidered, I couldn't be better, I mutht thaaaaay!..."

"Ok then how do you explain Star Trek 3 and Generations and Insurrection?

Trek 3 wasn't nearly as bad as Generations and Insurrection IMO, the latter 2 I can sum up in one word: "Berman".

"Besides, budget is no excuse for a bad movie. Star Wars had only a $10 million budget, laughable for a SP/FX movie even in 1976, but GL's vision came through to make one of the greatest movies of all time."

Ah, but Lucas had a minimal budget to start with and made Fox pony up more. Paramount gave Shatner a bigger budget to start with, so Shatner and the producers budgeted out exactly the amount of money they'd need to do the F/X, and only once the first half of the money was spent did Paramount pull the rug out from under Trek 5.

"I think Shatner was the factor hindering ST5, his ego got the best of him and ruined what could have been a good movie."

I think Shatner did a fantastic job creating a film that felt like the original series, but TOS was TV and focused much more on Kirk than the movies, and Shatner didn't really look at this movie LIKE a movie. In fact, of all the incarnations of Trek since the cartoon, I think Trek 5 was the most true to the original series of any of the shows, movies, even books. As a teenager, I really loved Trek 5 because of it's adventurous spirit, cool technology, and Kirk back at his brash action hero from the show, but after stepping back and looking at the film with a less-biased eye, I do see the flaws (pacing, editing, and even conceptual problems, an inability to create a real sense of danger from the Klingons or the cultist, and that whole "deck 99" jazz ) but I still enjoy it on that adventure/eyecandy level that I enjoy TPM on. (not to be confused with TMP, which I enjoy on a totally different level )

Rick Berman=Rick McCallum?

Coincidence or clone?

Originally posted by bigbarada
    Rick Berman=Rick McCallum?

Coincidence or clone?
    Neither! I have a theory that they're evil twins separated at birth, but both with the goal to destroy all that is good about the two most popular Sci-Fi franchises.

Cool I like this site

I found both movies interesting. Both are real good. One is based in our past while the other is our own future. I would say nether would win because the Federation and the Rebels would team up and finish the Empire off. I also think Data would like to see all the droids from the other universe. Technology would be traded and adapted over time. I was getting tired of all the crap about this is better than that. Ether way it is hope that we will be space ferrying peoples some day.