Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luke's Robes

Question Luke's Robes

In ROTJ, Luke is sporting a black throughout the movie. As we saw Ben Kenobi in the OT, and the Jedi Council in EP1, all of the Jedi are wearing Brown robes. Only the Sith wear black.

Is there any reason for Luke wearing black?
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

He's not really like the other Jedi, he was more torn between the Sith and the Jedi because of Vader and not being a full padawan to Yoda or Obi-Wan since he basically only got his training in small bits, not like the padawans of the past.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

(sigh) wasn't there a thread that already covered this? Once something falls of the first page, it's like it never happened.

It's a visual motif that George used to show the contrast with Luke's innocent white farmboy togs, and his new role as a Jedi Knight. He has matured from ANH to ROJ and G. Lu wanted to show this maturity visually. Hence the black outfit. Nobody knew what Sith wore back in 1983.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I apologize if there was one covering this already, but I looked through the other threads and didn't see anything about it.

Lightbulb

When I designed my Jedi costume for the opening of TPM, I made mine in blue, because I was tired of brown brown brown. Boring! Change is good, no?

Besides, if Vader and Palpatine exterminated all the Jedi, don't you think they would've gotten rid of the Jedi robe patterns, too?

Well?
    If it they say "clothes make the man," what better way to stop the spread of Jedi than not allow them to dress that way? C'mon! It's logical! ... In a bizarre, illogical sort of way...
    "That's what Sheev said."

From the AOTC Visual Dictionary:

"The tunics, robes, and cloaks worn by Jedi are honored traditions, but not uniforms. From the time they become Padawans, Jedi are free to dress as they choose. Anakin Skywalker breaks with tradition in his garments, both in their color and material. His distinctive dark clothing makes him stand out at the Jedi temple and draws concern from Jedi elders."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	episode2_visualdictionary_as-1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	1331  

Luke was sort of a new-bie to the Jedi thing, but I think the main thing is that the only Jedi's he ever met were Yoda and Obi-wan. Who both dressed like bums. Sure, Obi-wan wore robes, but so did everyone on Tatooine. And Yoda So Luke never really got to learn all the Jedi customs and traditions like what they wore, or how they did their hair. (Yoda didn't bother to make luke grow a braid) and I'm sure Luke's brief and arguably incomplete training with Yoda didn't allow for time to discuss fashions and dress codes. So Luke dressed how he wanted. He's going to face off with his pop, and he wants to look cool, so I don't blame him.
    And I always liked that last scene in ROTJ, with Vader, Luke and the Emperor all in black.

Thank you wookie, that was very insightful, and also goes along with most of my arguments regarding the differences between the OT and the Prequels.

That brings up another question....How long did Luke train with Yoda in ESB? It seemed only like a day or two in reference to what was happening to Han & Leia.

I agree, it only seems like a day or two, which is nothing compared to what the Jedi's back in the day had to go through, as we will see more of in Episode II, I imagine. I think that the more we learn about the Jedi's in the Prequels, the more we can empathize with Luke's plight in facing Vader.
    As we see more and more of where Vader came from and how he trained and learned, it seems pretty amazing that Luke was able to fight him at all after just his weekend Jedi course at Dagobah. The Force would have to be strong in him...