Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jedi Starfigher Hyperspace Booster ring

Well folks theres a pretty cool new group of images from AOTC that was put online today.

Included in the images is this one...
    http://www.jedinet.com/prequels/news...k_notw_001.jpg

Which shows the Jedi Starfighters Hyperspace Booster Ring attachment. Apparently the the J-Starfighter can't go into hyperspace without this attachment.

So who out there would like to see this nifty attachment made into a toy that will work with the J-Starfighter.

I'm not sure how much something like this would cost, but it would be interesting.

I'm interested in hearing all your thoughts on this, and while were at it why not open up this thread for your thoughts and suggestions for other AOTC vehicles and accessories you would like to see immortalized in plastic.

Very nice picture. The Hyperspace ring is definatly intresting, and I hope that they will later make a toy of it that will connect to the Jedi Starfighter. I am betting that they will, though it will be an exclusive and come with another version of the ship down the line, for one of the stores...so that people won't complain that it should have been sold that way in the beginning.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I can't see any reason why this couldn't be sold as an electronic accessory. Sort of like the Gunga catapult was. That way they don't need to pack it wirth anything and can justify the cost because it's part and parcel of the jedi starfighter deal but to include it with the starfighter would have pushed the cost up too high. To produce it seperately later on to compliment the vehicle would be fine IMO.

Does the Starfighter just have to fly thru the ring or is it attached to the ship?

Cool. A pic of the booster ring. Looks like it attaches to the front of the ship.

Hope they make it, but I won't lose any sleep if they don't.

"Does the Starfighter just have to fly thru the ring or is it attached to the ship?"

Yes, apparently the booster is something that attaches to the front of the ship and then takes it into hyperspace. Since we are yet to see exactly how it works in the movie I don't know if it detaches itself and then waits for the ship to return once it's arrived, or if it stays with the ship until it lands. I would assume the first option because I haven't seen many photos or footage of the J-starfighter with it attached.

I'm not liking this booster ring, It makes the ship alot more vulnerable than it should be. I could see it used in long distance travel but having the main ship not having a hyperdrive of it's own blows. I hope that the the ring is just a booster and not needed for hyperspace.
    A KID IN DISGUISE

Originally posted by Mr Sci Fi
    I'm not liking this booster ring, It makes the ship alot more vulnerable than it should be. I could see it used in long distance travel but having the main ship not having a hyperdrive of it's own blows. I hope that the the ring is just a booster and not needed for hyperspace.
    It doesn't really make the ship anymore vulnerable then a standard Hyperdrive does on a larger ship. In no doubt detatches and goes into orbit around whatever planet the ship just jumped to. According the the official Star Wars Website, the ring is needed for hyperspace travel, because the ship is to small to support the systems on it's own. It's not really a warship, so they are thinking of the ship more as a support/patrol craft (Like A Tie). Normally it would land inside a larger ship like the TIE Figters do, and jump along with it. The ring would only be used for the times the ship would be needed on solo missions. The smallest ship with hyperdrive in the OT is Vader's TIE Advanced x1. And it's 9.2 meters long, and is alot bulkier then the steamlined and tiny Jedi Starfighter that is only 8 meters long.

The Movies:
    Small wedge-shaped one-man starfighters, these vessels were used by the Jedi order in the waning days of the Galactic Republic. While the ship does employ weapons, most Jedi pilots preferred to rely on their cunning and attunement to the Force to avoid disputes and aggression.

A truncated astromech droid was hard-wired into the starfighter's port side, providing repair and navigation information to the Jedi pilot. The vessel was too small to carry a hyperdrive, and instead relied on a separate booster craft for transit through hyperspace.

Expanded Universe:
    Developed by Kuat Systems Engineering, the Delta-7 Aethersprite light interceptor was inspired, in part, by prototype designs tested by Jedi Master Adi Gallia. The vessel is very compact, and cargo space is at a premium. Its cramped quarters can carry about 60 kilograms of cargo. The standard TransGalMeg Industries hyperdrive booster ring affords it the performance of a class one hyperdrive.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 04-08-2002 at 03:42 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Yep I'm not liking it alot more now, having two seperate parts does make the use of the ship alot less usefull. How in the heck are you suppose to follow another ship when you have to take probably several minutes to connect up to your hyperdrive unit?

Example:

ship A takes off from a planet, Ship B (the jedi starfighter) then fallows ship A out of the atmostsphere. If ship A realizes ship B has to dock to a a secondary unit to acheive hyberdrive, ship A will blow up the hyperdrive ring before ship B can reach it. Thus ship A can simply hyperdrive out of the area and leave ship B stranded.

Another huge advantage is being able to get out of tight situations fast. Han Solo always had his fingure on the hyperdrive jump button unless it wasn't working at the time.
    A KID IN DISGUISE

You know that we employ a lot of the same type of "disposable technology" in our own space fleet. Use it up and deploy it. It makes a little bit of sense considering their technology isn't as advanced now as it is during the time of the Rebellion.