Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Card Variations

Hybrid View

Angry Card Variations

I used to collect variations of figures in the POTF2 line. Remember the changes from the short sabers to the long sabers which produced the ss/lt variants? Then came the green cards which produced the red cards variants. How about those green cards with the wrong collection numbers? Flashback with double arrows! Freeze frames with misspelling and so on...

Now with the POTJ, it becomes more obvious that every time a figure is repacked, the card version changes! Argh!

I've stopped keeping track of these and I've ignored these variants totally! If you're still into this kind of thing, when will you stop collecting these variants? Would you still buy 20 different cards of the same figure?
    ACPin
    SSG Dioramas Editor
    ACPin Star Wars Webmaster

I have never seen the need to collect all these variants. I think it is a waste of time and money, but that's just my personal opinion. I like to collect the figures for what they are-- toys, period. I have never approached collecting for possible financial gain down the line. If I wanted to reap the rewards of making a smart financial move, it would be in investing my money in a more "adult" way. I look at collecting as "pleasure" and therefore would never drive myself practically insane trying to collect every piece for some minute detail change, error or discrepency.

I know that my opinions don't necessarily reflect those of my friends on this forum, but just remember- you asked!

Know that I wouldn't think any less of someone if that's what they were into, but that's not where my head is in this whole collecting thing. I love toys, not packaging cards or variants.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I dig the physical variations on the figures themselves, such as the Fan Club bigh head R2 w/ 'holographic' Leia over card variations

The POTJ generic cardback is an insult, even if I collected carded variations, which I don't except in special occasions, these would NOT do it for me. Heck, Hasbro's not even fixing problems, just changing the characters and some layout issues. They're not fixing the JFF problems either, so it's just silly as I see it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thumbs up

I am a die hard collector of all variations and some errors (only those that I find interesting) of figures and packages. But I have no Idea why. The only thing I can figure is that I am a psycho-completist. I have 7 card variations of the original release Yoda alone (and some of those are as simple as .01 with a photo and .01 with the holographic sticker). I guess I don't need to tell you all that my collection has a few holes in it where some of the variations and errors belong. And it wouldn't surprise me to find out that I have variations/errors not listed in the price guides. My collection has about 1200-1500 figures alone (of couse I have multiple army-type figures like Stormtroopers) and I only have the releases starting in '95. I wonder what it is that makes me want these.

As far as figure variations/errors go, I will not pay ridiculous prices for them. So I don't have a no emblem Fett. I used to pay the big money for these (so I DO have about 5 half-circle hand Fetts and all of the long saber figure variations [multiples of most of them] except for the transition tray Tatooine Luke), but I came to realize that for the most part it is not necessary, and it promotes scalping. I now refuse to pay more than shelf price for ANY figure and have been very successful at keeping holes in my collection to a minimum. Most of the variations/errors have ended up on the clearance racks except for the ones like big dome R2 with Holo Leia, and yellow pin Greedo. I got my grey beard Ponda Baba for 2 bucks at TRU. But most of the fun I have collecting now is going way against the odds to get the rare errors for shelf price.

As far as packaging goes, I also will not spend big money on these so I don't have a FF Fett or Wequay. I have found that MOST of the packaging variations/errors also show up on the shelves. I found an "Episode I" corrected Yoda without much effort. And figures that are packaged on the new POTJ cards are easy to find when they are switched to the newer cards. I also have a few packaging errors such as a Purchase Of The Droids cinema scene with the insert upside down that I got on clearance for 5 or 6 dollars. Then I had to laugh at a scalper at F-n-S who wanted 50 dollars for a Mynock Hunt Cinema Scene that had a missing mynock error. I thought to myself - how stupid am I getting when it is OK for me to pay over three times the value of a toy so that I can intentionally buy one that is missing pieces. I usually take those back to the store.

Anyway...I consider myself lucky that I have a job that supports my family AND the way I collect. And when my fiancee gets her CPA...
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

I too used to collect the card variations. I would go through hell trying to find all the .00 and all that stuff. Now it's just not the same.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I'm with you, Evenflow. Since all POTJ cards are identical, I only go for figure variants. The only exception in my POTJ collection is the different Force File photos for Cold Weather Obi-Wan.

Unhappy

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that's been turned off by these POTJ card variants. In fact, I don't even care anymore with the figure variants or the saber variants that have also cropped up with POTJ.
    ACPin
    SSG Dioramas Editor
    ACPin Star Wars Webmaster

Right on!

I am in total agreement. There is just something inexplicable about this POTJ lineup of variations that just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe I'm just getting older and my priorities are elsewhere. Maybe it's the realization that I just don't need everything. HOW mature? But I too used to collect every variation/error type of the POTF2 line - I have VERY VERY VERY VERY FEW holes in this collection.

It's just not the same anymore.

Them card variations just ain't what she used to be. . .
    The movie changed my life. It was much better than Cats. I'd go see it again and again and again.

Hasbro probably only does this to get you to spend your money again,again,again on their products
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious