Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Obi-Wan Kenobi: with force flipping action!

I'm reviewing this one first as it is the only one I have opened thus far. I will post the other deluxe figure reviews in a single post once I get home so I don't get accused of PADDING... (tip of the hat to YOU, Jedi Drew! )

Here we go...

Of course you know, I would open the Obi-Wan first. I love the character... the original Star Wars Slim Shady... n'est ce pas?

Well... first thing I noticed before I even opened this is how HORRIBLE the head sculpt it!!! This looks NOTHING... I mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G like Ewan McGregor. The face is way too thin- especially the forehead. The hair colour is way off as well. It is far too blonde. Obi-Wan has a more reddish-blonde colour to his hair. This colour looks more appropriate for Anakin... or, really, Luke (Tatooine). Disappointing. It really is vastly different than the prototype head at ToyFair or even the one on the package images.

The body sculpt is not bad considering this was definitely designed to be played with. The articulation is at the neck, shoulders, waist, hips and right wrist. The reason for having wrist articulation maybe because the figure cannot stand on it's own unless you prop it up with the lightsabre... although, the figure CAN stand on the main pad. The reason it cannot stand is due to the magnets that portrude from the bottoms of the feet- more on why later. The lightsabre is permanently attached to the right hand. I think this is because it would be a royal pain to keep popping the thing back into the hand after every flip.

The "flipping base" comes unassembled in four parts. The parts fit together, but do not "lock" together. It looks great, but is poor in design as it DOESN'T lock together. The pieces consist of the "flipper", which locks into ready position and has two anchoring mangets for the "waiting figure", an extension piece, a single piece moulded as two black hoses and finally the main pad. The main pad is a giant magnet. I was wondering why the package was so heavy on this... now I know.

The playability on this is great... this is what a toy should be. No... the head sculpt isn't the greatest, but Hasbro has gotten back to basics on this piece. I haven't too much of an issue with this one being a relative "one trick pony" as it was meant to have one specific function- to be played with in this set. I haven't really played with it a whole lot, but it is REALLY HARD to try to get the figure to land on its feet. The pad magnet is very strong, so the figure does lock onto it very well when the two are displayed together.

The face scupt gets an F

The overall figure gets a B

The base gets a B- as it doesn't lock together.

The playability factor gets an A

The overall set gets a B
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 04-10-2002 at 06:33 PM.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Cool. Well, I'll be getting all the Obi-Wan figures (he's my favorite character) regardless of how good or bad they are.

Great review!

I'm disappointed in that the base doesn't lock together. I was hoping it did, so as I could display it with the "Dooku." I kind of figured that it would be hard to get the thing to actually land on its feet, but that's ok.

Definately have to get me one of these now, too. Any possibilty on a Deluxe Dooku review?
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Darth Tyranus, Mace Windu... and Jango Fett

Darth Tyranus: with force flipping attack

The sculpt on this head beats the one on Obi-Wan hands down. This is what we have come to expect from the POTJ line, so this is a big bonus. The body sculpt is very good and the paint job is excellent. My biggest problem is the positioning of arms, but I'll let that slide. Points of articulation, again, include both shoulders, right wrist, the waist, neck and both hips.

The base is identical to the one that came with Obi-Wan. The nice thing about the two bases is- that if you eliminate one of the "landing pads" you can connect the rest of the unit into the other "landing pad". Again... there is not a real solid "locking" of the pieces, so that is something you'll just have to deal with, I suppose. Otherwise it is a great set-up!!!

Overall- I think the concept is great and a huge improvement over the initial EPISODE I "deluxe" dueling figures.

The face scupt gets an A-

The overall figure gets a B

The base, again, gets a B- as it doesn't lock together.

The playability factor gets an A

The overall set gets a B

Mace Windu: with blast-apart battle droid

Inspite of the "crucifixtion" pose of the figure... it's not that bad. The pose does limit variation in play, but I suppose that since it comes with two "force" accessories, that's all it's meant to do. The head sculpt is fantastic. the only problem with it is, like the 12" exclusive going to TRU, it looks like Mace is smiling. The body sculpt is amazing. There is so much detail in the tunic it's unbelieveable. The figure has no holes in its feet so don't even think of putting him on an Action Stand. It's fine though as he seems to be pretty well balanced. There is a magnet in Mace's left hand. It's useless. It helps hold the lightsabre, but there is no significant "force attraction". This feature needs to be done away with immediately. It is a total waste. Conversely, the lightsabre hilt which has been designed to respond to the magnet is wonderful. For it's size, it is meticulously detailed. The blade is removable. Articulation includes neck, swiveling (not jointed) shoulders, swiveling left arm at the elbow/bicep, waist and both hips.

The pack-in "force" accessories do their job. They look absolutely dreadful but again, this line was designed for play. The little holes in Mace's right elbow and under his wrist aren't too noticeable. In order to get the effects to "blast", the arm must be turned a bit in order for your fingers to gain access to the post connecting to the effect. On gentle pull and release sends the effect flying several inches. Not bad.

The horror of this set is the Battle Droid. More power to you if A) you can get it to stand and, more importantly, B) if you can get the top half to balance on the lower half. The detail is adequate on this. The paint job is superior to any of the EPISODE I versions, but it looks better as a battle damaged piece of scrap on the battle field.

The face sculpt gets an A

The overall figure gets a B+

The "force effects" get a C as they look a little odd.

The Battle Droid gets a D-

The playability factor gets a C- (lowered because the BD counterpart is junk)

The overall set gets a B-

Jango Fett: with electronic jetpack and snap-on armor

Okay... here's the one for you fanboys obsessed with the Fetts. To quote Luke Skywalker, "What a piece of junk!" Okay... maybe it's not that bad... sort of. The figure has no hip articulation at all. The articulation is located at the head, shoulders and biceps. This guy is virtually a scooped out figure. The reason for this is that the jetpack and its mounting peg are so enormous that this is the only way it could be done. The peg sticks out about 1/4" from the body before it reaches the jetpack. The armour piece consists of the chest plating and the shoulder pads. It snaps onto the front of the figure and a securing tab pops into the top of the belt. There is a noticeable hole there when the armour isn't in place. The two wrist pieces aren't bad, but the figure looks pretty plain without them. The worst thing is looking at the figure without the backpack. It's just plain sad.

Jango comes with thehis two pistols and that's fine... then there's that GIGANTIC super-soaker looking rifle. Does he even have this in the film??? I guess it could work as EU. The missile that connects into the rifle works in the same manner as the one in the 300th Boba Fett backpack.

The jetpack has two sounds (as far as I can tell). Both of the sounds are blaster firing sounds. They are loud and effective enough, but not necessary.

The detailing gets a C as it's not as "good" as the detailing on the Preview Figure.

The overall figure gets a D

The jetpack gets a D- due to lack of pleasant aesthetics.

The playability factor gets a B

The overall figure gets a D
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 04-10-2002 at 08:00 PM.

I'll just get the 2 deluxe force-flipping ones then. I'd be better off getting the "basic" Mace and Jango.

I'll definately be getting the flippers, and probably the Deluxe Mace, if only for the Mace. I could care less about the Battledroid, and it'll be a nice "set piece" for the Arena scene I want. I never wanted the Jango. I have the preview, and so far that's my favorite.

Thanks for the reviews Jedipartnr.

I've already customised the Obi-Wan...!

Well... I repainted the hair, beard and eyebrows. I used Testors model paint- "flat brown" and spotting brush. It looks infinitely better now... even though the head scuplt is still for crap!

Interesting that the head sculpt of the final product is so different then the one we saw a TF. From the pictures I saw at TF, it looked like the same head as the Coruscant Chase Obi, which I thought was pretty decent.

Nice reviews partnr

I too find the Dooku head far better than the Obi-Wan. The Count's hair is decent, but I am most impressed by the "length" of his face, it really looks reminiscent of C. Lee.

First off, cool reviews JP! You just saved me $30 'cause now I have zero interest in the first 3 of these figures (I never had interest in the 4th Sorry deluxe Jango, you looked doofy and you were never on my "maybe" list). I'm super sad to hear that flipping Obi-Wan and Tyrannus are very difficult to flip onto their feet - with a magnet that large, I won't be able to put these just ANYWHERE, they can't go near the computer, so I was hoping that these would at least work well enough to enjoy when I got a rare chance to play with them.

Second, I renamed the thread to match better with the contents. I can change it back if you prefer though.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.