Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Jedi Outcast Editing

Until Raven releases the editors and the sdk, we can't really do much as far as editing goes....but we can make some cool skins and sabers while we're waiting.

Are any of you interested in learning how to do so? If you are, I wrote out a step by step guide that I can post and help you through.

Have any of you already started work on something? If so, Show it off here!

Here's a picture of a saber I'm going to release soon. I just need a cool name for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saber.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	1320  

Cool, I'm waiting to get 3D Studio Max to start working on weapons and other 3do models for the editing group in my clan which made a few mods & levels for Jedi Knight.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Re: Jedi Outcast Editing

Originally posted by Boba Rhett
    Until Raven releases the editors and the sdk, we can't really do much as far as editing goes....but we can make some cool skins and sabers while we're waiting.

Are any of you interested in learning how to do so? If you are, I wrote out a step by step guide that I can post and help you through.

Have any of you already started work on something? If so, Show it off here!

Here's a picture of a saber I'm going to release soon. I just need a cool name for it.
    Nice saber Boba Rhett.
    As for a name....how's Nova Storm? Or the Aurora?
    When I saw the trail it left behind, it kinda reminded me of the Aurora Borialis (sp).

Just 2 ideas I thought I'd throw out.

BTW - I just bought Jedi Outcast, and I like it a lot.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing!" - Lord Darth Vader

Jedi Outcast is good. It's really good. But it could have been blindingly great.

/BEGIN RANT

Here are my grievances. Not huge things, but things that still should have been done that would have placed this game on a higher pillar.

1. Civilians. Were the hell are they? I understand Raven was worried about framerate and loading times but they could have at least made it an option!

2. Some of the MP levels are far from polished....when you step on metal, it shouldn't sound like your walking through water. The lighting seems to be messed up in some areas too.

On that note, pits should be pits. Not darkened body storage facilities. What I mean by that is, I don't want to see things that have fallen down there! You can even drop trip mines down there and they'll shine up. This is also a problem in sp too.

3. Un-stability issues. I had some various ones. Not major ones but they still crashed my computer.

4. MP is good but not what it should have been. You've heard it before and you'll here it some more, hey, that rhymes . They should have had some mp co-op levels we're you play the part of a rebel or empirial soldier and reenact the famous battles from the SW universe!

5. Why are the throwable objects 4 times the size they should be?

6. The Lightsaber. I wasn't expecting the blade to be rendered the same way it was in JK...... hopefully a modder will fix that.

7. Sweet mother. What kind of computer do I need in order to run the swamp level well?

8. Flak cannon == Lame. Very very lame.

9. Rocket launcher == Lame. Very very lame.

If you didn't get it by the hints I dropped up there, I did not really care for the new weapons. I want my conc and raildet, dangit!!

10. MY FISTS!!!! WHY. OH WHY. WHY. WHY HAVE YOU TAKEN THEM AWAY FROM ME!!!! *weep* *weep*

stun baton == Crock of you-know-what.

11. I want a force throw and throwable objects.

That's all I can think of for now. Sheer brilliance and utter stupidity all mixed together. But lucky for us, there's a lot more brilliance than stupidity mixed in.

I'm going to give the game a 9 for now. It may change.

The first major mod that needs to be made is a JK upgrade mod! It would include:

-fists
    -raildet
    -conc
    -human sized throwable objects
    -a saber with the blade as part of the model
    -I want to throw things at people!

P.S. Was anyone else totally not impressed with Ravens rendition of BGJ?

Woohoo! Force long post! When I'm in a better mood, I'll make the list of things I loved.

/END RANT

I'm glad you like it, c_richards. I like your idea for the name too. Maybe Aurora Saber? Other names that have been brought to my attention include SithSlayer, KnightDawn and Plasma saber.

I agree with your ideas. The lack of civilians was disappointing (everyone that's not affiliated with the empire is an alien gun-toting thug!), but the lightsaber combat was well-done. My main rant is three-fold, and all system-related:
    I have an uber-system (AMD 1.2GHz, GeForce 3, 256MB DDR RAM), and
    1. The levels take forever to load.
    2. The swamp level is SOOOOO choppy
    3. The game is always crashing.

I have the latest drivers and everything.

No problems on my system

It's funny you mention problems and the fact that it crashed your system. I haven't played it much...(I just got it Tuesday), but I have no expirenced any system crashes at all.

I have a system that I built
    AMD Athlon 1800XP+
    256 RAM
    Windows Me
    Radeon 8500
    Sound Blaster Audigy

No problems here. My only complaint is the fact that when I took off running away from an Imp, instead of shooting him in the head like I was aiming, the bounce resulted in a low shot and I hit the Imp in the crotch! Of course...that's user error.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing!" - Lord Darth Vader

To answer the pit question, well to really make it a pit would result in I think would make it where the level wouldn't work and making it REALLY deep would cause lag. Trust me, I edited levels for Jedi Knight, if you've got an opening into negative space for a level (negative space being what the level is built in) then it won't work, not too sure about the Q3 engine but I'm sure it's around the same.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."

They wouldn't have to make it deep at all to make it look like a real pit and you still would be able to see things down there even if it was really really deep. What they needed to do was to make it so there was a surface a few feet off the ground that was passible but could not be seen through. Thus hiding all the bodies when they fall. Or they could just have the things be destroyed when they reach the bottom..... Seems kinda like a "no duh" thing they should have done.....

Also, in Jedi Knight, making something really deep most likely wouldn't have caused any lag what-so-ever if it was done right. If your just talking about HOM "hall of mirrors" that's created when an outside wall has incorrect flags, then yes, that would cause problems.

The Quake 3 engine works the exact opposite way the JK engine does. JK uses Positive space while Q3 uses negative space.... or is it the other way around? I can never remember which one's which.

I didn't have problems with the game crashing while ingame, I had problems with it doing so if, let's say I adjusted some video setting but then discarded them == crash city.

The Q3 engine works about the same way as making a 3DO for Jedi Knight. Jedi Knight and Q3 I think both use negative space, but it's quite different, like the difference as making a house out of pure architecture in Jedi Knight and just making a detailed 3do you can walk inside of.

As for the pits, well actually if you have a highly detailed level, making a very deep pit would cause lag due to the length of it that the computer would need to load along with the rest of the level. The pit problem could be fixed by making it to where the brightness of that sector is 0 so nothing would show up in it, but sometimes some 3dos tend to stay brightened. Although it's weird that a trip mine wouldn't have detonated from falling all that way.

Can't wait to start editing JK2, I just gotta set some time aside to get 3DSMax.

Another thing to add to my rant list,

The saber does not sound like a saber. "Like one in the movies"

I'm not totally sure but I think there's already a user made mod out to fix this.