Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hasbro: SLAVE I

Thumbs up Hasbro: SLAVE I

The first thing I have to say is... this ship is a work of art!!! The paint detail is is beautiful. There is a great look about it with varying shades of the colour to show weathering and wear. Excellent!

There is very little in the way of assembly. The only things that need to be stuck onto the body of the ship are the stabilising fins. They don't automatically rotate like they do on the older versions, but that was hardly a concern for me.

The decals are few, but add a nice touch to the ship. The largest ones go on the thruster ports on the underside of the ship. The hardest ones to put on go in the cockpit. They should have applied these at the factory. It's just difficult to get them inside such a cramped space. I did my best. The final two stickers go on a little triangular panel that spins, exposing one of the flat edges of the triangle with each turn. The "neutral" side blends in with the ramp of the ship. The next face shows the tracking device placed there by Obi-Wan. The third face shows a burned area where the device was either removed or blasted away by Jango.

The clear canopy has a "heads-up" range finder moulded onto it. Very nice subtle touches like this make the ship a gem. Upon opening the cockpit, you have a "V" formation of seats with Jango sitting at the point and two others standing in the "seat" wells behind. Little Boba can be placed in the "seat" behind Jango's left shoulder. There is a little raised platform there so he doesn't fall all the way down.

The "nose" guns swivel and click- a standard feature for most Kenner/Hasbro cannons of this type. The "Secret reveal" missile launcher is most cool. If you press the little gear-shaped knob on the underside of the ship, a little door opens up to expose the missiles, which pop out into view. When you turn the knob, the missiles launch one by one. Four additional missiles can be stored on the underside of the ship so you won't easily run out of ammo. The second "secret" feature is the releasing of the sonic charges. There is a second knob on the underside which releases a little red "bomb". There are four of those neatly tucked into the nose. The drop out one by one as the knob is depressed.

The scuplt gets an A+

The detailing gets an A

The special hidden features get an A

The playability gets an A+

The Overall Score is an A+
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 04-11-2002 at 10:50 PM.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Wow, I didn't think that this piece would be that good. What is the size comparison to the original one? Also, can 3 figures fit in the cockpit? Finally, how much was it?

I was really looking forward to this piece, but after seeing some pictures I wasn't too impressed. I guess I'll have to get one now though.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Originally posted by Wolfwood319
    What is the size comparison to the original one?
    It seems to be about the same size as the older versions. I don't have the older ones, but I have touched the older ones, so I know they are all about.

Also, can 3 figures fit in the cockpit?
    Upon opening the cockpit, you have a "V" formation of seats with Jango sitting at the point and two others standing in the "seat" wells behind. Little Boba can be placed in the "seat" behind Jango's left shoulder. There is a little raised platform there so he doesn't fall all the way down.

So, yes. Three figures WILL fit in this cockpit. Jango is front and centre and the other two passengers are behind him looking over each shoulder.

Finally, how much was it?
    It cost $29.99

If you have the older versions of this ship it will be entirely up to you as to whether or not you should buy this. I feel this version has better features packed into the overall design. The paint deco is also obviously different. I think this is a great companion piece to the Jedi Starfighter.
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 04-12-2002 at 08:54 AM.

I have a shelf in my bookcase waiting for this vehicle. I have the POTF2 Slave 1 and the 300th Boba Fett and beside it I plan to have the new Slave 1 with Sneak Preview Jango. Old and new Slave 1's, and father and son in shooting poses. It's going to kick a hundred asses.

I can't wait to get this ship, it's been #1 on my list for quite a while. I am just so disappointed with the POTF2/Vintage version which is hollow and has a really poor cockpit.

Great review JP!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I didn't like the old Slave I because on mine the landing ramp doesn't stay on when its "flying" and the cargo door hatch doesn't line up with the ship.

I think I'll get the new one just to go with my new Jedi Starfighter at the very least. I think the new Starfighter is scale size from pictures I've seen. I'm very impressed with that.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

I never had the chance to buy the POTF2 version of this ship, so I hope to pick up one of these, hopefully at a good price.
    "There is no pain where strength lies"-Darth Maul
    "You must join me, Obi-Wan, and together we will destroy the Sith!"-Count Dooku

How big is it compared to the old Slave one, do you have to take off Jango's Jetpack to fit him in.

It is larger than the old SLAVE I and much more accurate in its detailing and sculpting. Yes... the jet-pack must come off... and there is another thread I started regarding a little hold in the rear of the cockpit where the jetpack can be connected for "storage".

"SURPRISES" link

How much bigger, like 5% is what I've heard, is that right?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.