View Poll Results: The SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Round 1 - Fight Eleven!!!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Y-wing Fighter is "the bomb!"

55 45.08%
  • Darth Vader's TIE now is The Master!

67 54.92%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    The Snowspeeder and Cloud Car toys are actually slightly larger than the movie scale, because if you look at the actual models you'll see that the pilots really are too big. Sure someone could fit in the Snowspeeder like that; but only if he had no legs.

I think the only vehicles that are truly to scale with the movies are the Speeder Bike and Power FX X-Wing. A-wing and Landspeeder are pretty close but are a little too stubby.

The worst scaled vehicles are the Falcon, Queens Starship and the AT-AT. With the AT-AT being the most distorted and misshapen of them all.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Well, this is getting to be a great discussion!

The Battle of the Machines can provoke all kinds of challenges it seems!

Keep it up. This is great!

Meanwhile, JarJar: thank you for your statistics.

However, they really do nothing to solve this issue.

A TIE fighter's vertical height to its solar pannels defines a lot of its size. So it's not longer than an X-wing? That doesn't mean it's not bigger!

As to the B-wing - they certainly gave that ships fuseledge width or height (if flying in attack mode). It's length as measured from the same direction as an A-wing, would actually make it a shorter distance than even the smallest Rebel fighter.

Those stats, as kind as it was to provide them, really didn't help as much as I'd hoped some info like that could.

We need MORE detailed information about the ships' demensions than that, apparently!

Thanks for trying JarJar. No cheese.

I know, not that much of a help. But it gives us some idea of proper scale, even if its not perfect. It definatly proves that the Y-Wing is really out of scale with most of the ships.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Re: I obi-ject. This is an outrage! We should send out a commission..

Originally posted by jedi master sal
    Most people seem to be going for the Imp ships in these polls. I thought this is only about the toy itself.
    The recent "spoilers" rampage proved that many posters here are incapable of separating discussions of toys with discussions of events from the movies...

But anywayyyyy, I voted for Vader's TIE. In a head to head battle, Vader's guns can be aimed more precisely than can the Y's rotating turret. While the Y has a cool bomb underneath, it is only useful in this case if Vader has to land. The cool green color of the missles doesn't hurt either.

Apart from battle-worthiness, the updated TIE is about the best resculpt yet from Hasbro since they were Kenner. The Y could stand a better more to scale redesign. And to echo a previous statement, it wouldn't hurt the TIE to have a detailed cockpit. Regardless, the TIE wins hands down.

Originally posted by bigbarada
    The Snowspeeder and Cloud Car toys are actually slightly larger than the movie scale, because if you look at the actual models you'll see that the pilots really are too big. Sure someone could fit in the Snowspeeder like that; but only if he had no legs.

I think the only vehicles that are truly to scale with the movies are the Speeder Bike and Power FX X-Wing. A-wing and Landspeeder are pretty close but are a little too stubby.

The worst scaled vehicles are the Falcon, Queens Starship and the AT-AT. With the AT-AT being the most distorted and misshapen of them all.

...and the Sandcrawler (too small for 3" but perfect for Micromachines Jawas), TIE fighter (wings are too small), and Imperial Shuttle (overall scale is small, but close enough).

I have both of the ships. I voted for the Y-wing.From a collectors point of view I can say it was alot harder to find the Y-wing then it was to find darth Vaders.It took me almost 2 months to find the Y-wing. I found darths at a garage sale still in the box for $15.00.The Y-wing cost me about 3 times as much!!
    Plo Kloon

Question

Come on now where are all you Y-wing lovers? As much as you fight for em on ebay you gatta be votin for this! Its the coolest ship around. Vaders fighter aint all that good . Truly dissapointed.

Hmm, I was delighted when I opened my Vader TIE to find that it didn't have the green missiles. I just assumed it was a style change after the package was designed . . . but I see some of you have green missiles.

Anyway, I'm voting for Vader's TIE. Reason enough is bigbarada's complaint regarding the droid socket. That was one of my favorite play features as a kid, R5-D4 was finally so useful! (If this were vintage DV TIE vs. vintage Y, it's the Y-Wing all the way.)

I have to say, this was a lot tougher than some of the other rounds. I like both ships very much. The Y-wing is one of the best original toys they made, and it looks even better in it's newer version (even though there's no droid socket). Vaders TIE is THE best toy designed from scratch for the POTF2 line. I had to revert to a 6 year old to make up my mind. In the end I chose the Y-wing. With all the action features it's just more fun to play with, and after all, we're voting on which is the better TOY, not which is the better ship in the film.
    Crack a Window, will ya?? HaHa!