Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Darth Cruel, I must say that is an excellent answer. You clearly explained what problems you had with the movie without resorting to any form of griping.

Kudos to you.

And to all that griped/will gripe, good! Gripings a great form of communication too!
    Lord knows we all need a good gripe now and then.
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

Thanks for the props, Starfig...it is tough to compose a post like that without sounding whiny. I'm glad the intent was clear.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

I'm starting to think that people don't have anything better to do until EpII comes out! I also think they like to gripe about EpI, just to **** off those who liked it! I could be wrong!

I have a hard time agreeing with any of the technical points that people have brought up! I just don't know where they're comming from, and think the Story is pretty simple/easy to follow!

Remember the editing crew is the same group pf people that GL brought over from 'The Young Indiana Jones Chronicals" that everone praises so much! What?, did they just forget how to do their jobs and everything else they have done in their careers on this movie? I think...Not! One of the few/only real points that I wish they had done better with, is explain where Anakin got that cut on his arm from! The only thing In my mind about the movie that kind of came from left field, although with a little imagination, it's not hard to overlook!

I didn't enjoy the Young Indy Chronicles, I found it boring and insulting to the predetermined Indiana Jones character. I don't remember the editing there because it was just TV-movie editing, not exactly something to watch out for, but the producer sure does feel the same. Fraggin' McCallum!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Oh brother. It's funny how you can calmly express your opinion, back it all up with hard and fast facts, and still people think that your just complaining because there is nothing better to do.

You know what? You're right! ...and the world is flat, the moon is made out of cheese, Newton was wrong about that apple.

Strangely enough, most people I've met who are only casual Star Wars fans and could really care less if another movie comes out or not, think that Ep1 is the best movie of the saga. I think mainly because it's new.

Of course I've heard many arguments from people as to why ESB is the worst movie because "movies are supposed to have happy endings." Or ANH is the worst because "the graphics look like crap." These are actual quotes from real people, now.

I've also seen a lot of people who are SW fans solely because of Ep1. In my experience it's been mostly teenage/young adult boys who dig the Jedi or Sith and teenage/young adult girls who love Queen Amidala. This is just in my personal experience, and by no means an attempt to pidgeon-hole people.

My question is, who's to say that we're right and these people are wrong? Star Wars is such a vast, deep universe that two people could consider themselves hardcore fans and have absolutely nothing in common.

I've started to see a disturbing trend I call the 'disgruntled Star Wars fan.' Basically a fan of the OT who actually resents all the attention paid to the prequel trilogy. I'd be the first to agree that the OT was the greatest series of movies ever made, but the adoration by the public can't go on forever. Eventually SW will slip into obscurity just like all other great literature/music/theatre of the past. It's a hard fact to accept but inevitable.
    Last edited by bigbarada; 09-08-2001 at 04:54 PM.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Don't worry bigbarada, most Star Wars fans are actually quite "gruntled" !

We........all live in......a....yellow....sub...marine

Now sing that like William Shatner and lets all have a good laugh.

This is probably the 100th post on the debate about TPM. I'm certain most of us know what side we are all on. And yet...I must ponder what Attack of the Clones will do to change opinions...
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

In the LA Times yesterday or the day before, there was an editorial cartoon which showed our governor dressed up like a Jedi holding a lightsaber. Now, true, Star Wars will eventually fade from memory, but its demise will be hastened by the subsequent poor quality of its descendents. At the moment, the lore of the saga is deeply engrained into our culture from politics to pop-culture. The reason being is that the 1977 film was just so good that people like it just as much today as they did back then. Remember, that's over a 20 year period! How many films from 1957 still held audiences spellbound in 1977? There are only a handful of films that can claim the kind of influence that Star Wars has had on society.

That is the reason that TPM was such a disappoinment to so many people. The bar was set so high that it was only natural to expect something nearly as great. Visually, yes, it was fantastic, but that's the nature of technological advances in image acquisition and special fx. The elements of story haven't changed, though, for thousands of years now. Some people don't mind letting plot holes and substandard dialogue go just as long as there are pretty pictures to distract them. That's their choice to be easily entertained. That doesn't make the movie any better.

It's like meeting a smokin' hot gorgeous yet stupid blonde. Sure, at first you're all over it, but just how long can you stand listening the banal squelch of her voice and the superficial conversation?... Especially when you've seen her not exactly as beautiful, but hot nonetheless (read: 1977 Star Wars fx into this analogy) sister who you could talk to for the rest of your life.

Yeah, everybody has their own opinions. Go ahead and like the TPM. Put it in your top ten list. But why on earth would you want to when you know that it could have been (and more importantly, should have been) so much better?

That's why everyone "dis's" The Phantom Menace.

I remember just recently watching the AFI top 100 films. My brother was totally annoyed that TPM wasn't even nominated; but I knew why. I understand that TPM was substandard as movies go, but I still enjoy watching it; mainly for the visuals. Just like when the OT first came out on video, I watched ROTJ once a day for like two months. However, once the Special Editions came out and it sort of leveled the playing field, SP/FXwise, I finally understood that ROTJ was truly a sub-standard SW movie. I have a feeling that when AOTC comes to video I'll feel the same way about TPM.

But then again, I still enjoy watching all those cheesy 1950s sci-fi and Godzilla movies. Especially 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' what a great flick!

"Modern women, they've been like that throughout the ages."

I'm actually proud of the fact that I'm not a movie connoisseur.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis