Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry why does everyone dis TPM??????

hey, at least lucas was considerat enough to do these movies so we can actually know how,when,why,and wheres of anikan and the others. i mean, the film explained how we meet anikan threepio, obi, yoda and everyone else vital to the OT...i just think we will be in for some good films in the next 3-5 years(or whatever)

Everybody disses TPM because it falls short of the staggering expectations heaped on it by adoring Star Wars fans. If you were to compare it to The Blair Witch Project for example, it's a masterpiece of storytelling, but compared to The Empire Strikes Back, it's mediocre. Part of this is because no one knew what to expect when the new film came out and everybody had their own ideas on how the first chapter should play out. When it didn't people felt let down. The other part is that G.Lu is off his rocker and is surrounded by yes men and has become senile and thousands of other fanboy reasons why TPM "sucked"

...Plus it's fun to bash other people's work anonymously on the internet!!!

People get a little too wacky about these films. They take things too seriously and don't just go along for the ride. So... they start to pick it all apart.. analyse it. Then it becomes less fun and starts to go bad on you. I think that's why.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

When TPM was released, I was pumped, and my expectations were quite low. The result?
    Well, after midnight madness, waiting all day to buy presell tickets, 3 showings on opening day (including midnight) and a total of 17 theatrical viewings --- I loved it ! And I hope to relive that excitement all over again this Spring.

However, the newest part of my enjoyment of the SW hobby includes discussing the positive and negative aspects of the films with other fans. Over 2 years after TPM's release, I am now detached from that excitement and can now look at the films from a more objective perspective. Sure there were things I would have done differently. Many things, in fact. And it's only recently that I started to comment on what I would have liked to have seen. It's not due to over analysis, it's just a matter of my personal taste combined with what I believe to be effective story components.

But I still love it, it's great fun! I too am saddened that some fans go over the edge. I will definitely question the effectiveness of certain decisions (see my thread on Anakin's age in TPM) but I will never resort to personal attacks on Lucas or his employees.

Whenever you read a post of mine that includes a dis or two, please don't interpret it as fan disappointment, but rather as a fun exercise of criticism!

Sure there is problems with every movie and story. People like to take things a part and point out the good with the bad,but I think that for most they Love it just the same.You can't always find, that one will be as good as the other.You have to find in the story what you like and go with it.I also think that most will be dissapointed with these new ones because of the darker aspect of the story.It will be great to have the whole story together to view and know some of the reasons and what lead up to ANH,ESB,ROTJ.That is also why I love the books following the movies.The story keeps on going just in real life,and with that you can make it part of your own universe.I know allot of people think I'm crazy for loving Star Wars like I do,but I also tell them that I know its only a story and and we all have our hobbies.Sports is just a game,but how many people do see getting crazy over it.It all comes down to what you are in to and what touches you the most.
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

I think it's because people don't like the movie.

As for me, I didn't expect much, and I was rewarded with even less than that. Here are the reasons I don't particularly like the film, in no particular order (remember, these are all "IMO"):
    • the film's pacing and editing sucks
    • I don't like the score
    • the characters are flat, wooden and not terribly engrossing
    • there's no real feeling of galactic history
    • Anakin seems far too young for what he's doing
    • Lucas gives cheap answers to just about every question from the classic trilogy about the past
    • Jar Jar is there with only one purpose - to have his dignity taken away and look foolish
    • the podrace felt like a kill of time, too many coincidences
    • too much "wink wink, remember this from the other films?" stuff
    • too much cartoony-looking CGI characters
    • too many silly-looking aliens with dopey and offensive speech patterns
    • an end sequence which had no real sense to it
    • motivations which either didn't match the sequences or just didn't exist at all
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm with JediTricks on almost all of those points. Some people still don't get it. They feel like we're just whining and complaining looking for absolute perfection. That's not the case at all. Very few stories live up to that, even ANH.

The problem with TPM is that is was just plain bad storytelling. No amount of justification or rationalization or Star Wars-worship will ever change that. If ANH, ESB, and ROTJ had been mediocre, TPM would have fallen right in step and, while the story would have been just as lame, the visuals would match the rest.

Sure, it looks great. There are some quintessential Star Wars moments that make it exciting at times (when viewed out of context, I might add). But those moments are too few and far between. They are strung together with bad transitions, mediocre acting, silly and over the top plot points, and a huge lack of faith that the audience is capable of understanding subtleties. Maybe some people need to be beaten over the head with obvious dialogue...most however don't.

Look, I'd rather be praising the thing for it's brilliant continuation of the Star Wars saga. It's not my fault. I didn't make, I just watched it.

Well although I loved the movie, everyone here has good points, and I just don't feel like fighting this battle over again. There are some of us who love the movie. There are some of us who hate the movie. Thats the way it is, thats the way it will always be. And there is no reason whatsoever to accuse anyone of not being a true Star Wars fan because of there positive or negative views on one or more of the movies. The movie just put people in a fix. I know people who just didn't get it, plus I know people that Ep.I turned them onto Star Wars. I just see Ep.I as the foundation of the whole SW building. Not much to it but its there and its important.
    Last edited by Starfig873; 09-03-2001 at 08:35 PM.
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

Thumbs up

Judging from the posts above (unless I misinterpereted them), it sounds to me like some fans believe that those of us who did not like TPM are disgruntled because we didn't get our way with the history of the story. Let me tell you that I couldn't care less about where the OT characters came from, how they got where they ended up, or who their grandsires are. If GL wants to make stormtroopers all clones of Boba Fett, I say more power to him. If he wants to make up midichlorians to explain The Force, I'm down for that.

But...when you think about ALL the money that GL made from the OT and what he should reasonably have expected to make from a GOOD version of TPM (My GOD! Think of how much money it would have made if it had been as good as it could have been), I don't consider it unreasonable to expect a well-written, well-acted, well-directed-in-general film. Particularly when you consider how much it costs to see a film today.

I don't dislike it because I didn't want Darth Vader to start out as a slave boy, or because there were Gungans in the movie, or because I thought Qui-Gon had a particularly bad attitude for what I believe to be the type of demeanor a Jedi should have, or because Darth Maul got killed in the end (GL knew he had a better villain than the main one...he had no choice but to write in his death to keep him from overshadowing Vader). I disliked it because I felt that a movie of that magnitude should have been on a much higher quality level. The OT raised the standard in the 70s/80s...TPM should have at least been in the upper quarter of the current standard.

When the OT came out, the vast majority of the acting was great. There were a few weak performances, but for that period, the acting was MOSTLY up in the 90 percentile. In TPM, the list of characters that were acted well is much shorter than the one of poorly acted ones. Obi-Wan's character was done well enough. Palpatine was done pretty well, but I can't think of another character that was WELL-ACTED. Even Samuel L. Jackson was mediocre, and he is a top-shelf actor.

The writing also left me a little empty. I don't mind the basics of the story, including the humor that was attempted. But it failed because it was poorly written. I didn't mind Jar Jar stepping in bantha poo doo but "Icky Icky Goo" was so stupid it ruined the scene. It would have been better if it had been left as a purely visual take and just a small shot of it as the camera drew back and panned away. The toilet humor in general was overdone. Anything more than one toilet joke per movie starts becoming tasteless. And way too much of the dialogue was just not very good..."Banal" to quote a much missed Sir Alec Guinness.

The editing was attrocious. There were two MAJOR problems with it. 1) It was too obvious when a cut scene went by. There were parts were the editing just made the next scene not quite fit at the end of the previous scene. One example I can use is the desert duel. The scene was so poorly edited that the whole thing just didn't flow smoothly. And 2) The material that GOT edited. Some good scenes were left out including one that is little known, but would have been funny, where a young Gungan has to run around the room while Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are talking to Boss Nass throwing fish back out of the barrier that keeps the water out of the city. This part is also an example of how the edited material might explain the the demeanor of the characters when their attitudes don't seem to quite fit the scene.

Yep. My expectations were huge. And anyone will will have one tough time convincing me that my expectations were unreasonable. The Oscars showed who did their jobs. I have been a fan since the first time I saw a trailer on TV when I was 12 or 13. Even TPM can't change that. But I cringe now when I wonder what EII will be like. I worry that I will be as disappointed as I was in May of 1999. My fingers are crossed.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Thumbs down

I just hate the midichlorians answer.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."