Rebel Fleet Trooper...proto had functional holster, final one doesn't!?!

based on the convention pics earlier this year, the new Rebel Fleet Trooper had the ever-cool, functional holster and his gun is certainly scaled with that idea in mind, but based on loose pics at collectstarwars.com, the final product has a holster that's filled in and non-functional!

What gives?

And why would Hasbro bother to design a functional holster on a proto, to later just make it a generic sculpt attachment?
    Last edited by AmanaMatt; 11-02-2001 at 11:30 PM.

Its Hasbro What more needs to be said?
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

I sure hope the final Trooper has a functioning holster. He'll be an awesome figure anyway, but he'd be even better with one.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Thumbs down

I remember when first seeing the firgure, i was like cool, awesome. Then after closer inspection I saw that I would not be happy with this figure. I hate the fact that the chin strap is painted on. When you take the helmet off, it will look really stupid.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

That helmet may as well be glued into place the way Hasbro did it. I didn't mind the chinstrap on the DS Trooper, but now we're hearing there's a cut-spot in the back of the head to keep the helmet aligned on the RFT, that combined with the phantom chinstrap and this no-longer-working holster and you have a lot of build-up by Hasbro that didn't need to be! All they had to do was put the figure out with the helmet glued on if they wanted to keep that chinstrap sculpted to the head and NOT TOLD ANYBODY that the danged helmet was removable and I would have been happy with this thing. I'm fairly sure I'll like this figure, but why say you're going to do so many things that are great only to not do them and let folks down? It's like that kid from 4th grade who claims he has ALL the Transformers and will bring them in next week, but all he brings is Laserbeak, Cliffjumper, and that weird car from the back of Optimus Prime's trailer.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Why are so many people in love with removing the helmets? Did we ever see Death Star Troopers or Rebel Fleet Troopers (apart from the dead ones) without thier helmets?! I think this is one of the best looking figures yet, and a vast improvement on the first release. As for the chinstrap, have you seen the 12" DST? Fully removeable helmet with a molded chin strap that sits a quarter inch below the chin! I think this will give you some clue of what a 3.75" figure with a removeable helmet with a chin strap would be like. At least on the 12" version the COULD HAVE used elastic!
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Originally posted by evenflow
    I remember when first seeing the firgure, i was like cool, awesome. Then after closer inspection I saw that I would not be happy with this figure. I hate the fact that the chin strap is painted on. When you take the helmet off, it will look really stupid.
    Yeah, the chin strap thing really sucks. Just ask Michael Dukakis. That stupid video he did of him driving around in a tank with a helmet chin-strapped on pretty much pushed the tide in Bush's favor in '88.

BURN THE CHIN STRAPS!
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

If you want a chinstrap just shave off the one on it's head then use sculpey to make one for the helmet.

We didn't see any RFTs without their helmets, but I don't think they stapled them on like Harrison Ford did with his indy fedora.
    'Course we do get a glimpse of a Biker Scout putting his helmet on, but that was the Rebel dude stealing the scout's armor, that would be a cool figure if it was more poseable than the last Biker Scouts?
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

JediCole

I think this will give you some clue of what a 3.75" figure with a removeable helmet with a chin strap would be like.
    Uh, sorry. But see Naboo Royal Guard's action figure.

Then again, considering his distribution, it's possible that you'll never see him.