Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

More on the price of exclusives.

How can Hasbro (I'll leave F.A.O. out of this since everyone knows they're overpriced to begin with!) justify the expected $90 pricetag on the Imperial Shuttle exclusive? By all reports (AND by all assumption for that matter!) this will simply be another repainted reissue of a vintage toy; little or no new tooling, and probably fewer features (if the pattern holds true). How expensive can it be to make a toy that reuses a mold and design that already exists? By my reasoning, this toy should cost us no more than $40, TOPS.

Inflation is a big factor, as is licensing fees for Lucasfilm. Actually I worked out the price of the original vehicle if it was released today on a comparison calculator and in last years dollars, the Imperial Shuttle would have retailed for around 70.00. Infact comparing all the ships, most of them work out to around the same price as they were back then in comparison. Here are some examples, the ship, vintage price, and inflation estimate. So what they come out for, isnt's not really as bad in comparison.

B-wing - 1983: 24.99 2001: 44.02
    Imperial Shuttle - 1983: 39.99 2001: 70.44
    TIE Inteceptor - 1983: 19.99 2001: 35.21
    Y-Wing - 1983: 16.99 2001: 33.45

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 04-15-2002 at 10:02 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Inflation is a big factor, as is licensing fees for Lucasfilm. Actually I worked out the price of the original vehicle if it was released today on a comparison calculator and in last years dollars, the Imperial Shuttle would have retailed for around 85.00. Infact comparing all the ships, most of them work out to around the same price as they were back then in comparison.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    I'm still not buying it. The inflation theory I mean. Just not a good enough excuse in my opinion. Since they've already made plenty of money in the past with this tooling, I feel that should offset some of the cost.

Originally posted by RooJay
    I'm still not buying it. The inflation theory I mean. Just not a good enough excuse in my opinion. Since they've already made plenty of money in the past with this tooling, I feel that should offset some of the cost.
    They have retooled all of the re-issue ships, so it does cost them some money to do all that retooling. Just compare ships like the Y-Wing and B-Wing to their vintage counterparts. They do put alot of work in them. Plus the vastly improved stickers and paintjobs. If they were just repackaging the ships as straight remakes, they definatly would not be worth the cost.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks

They have retooled all of the re-issue ships, so it does cost them some money to do all that retooling. Just compare ships like the Y-Wing and B-Wing to their vintage counterparts. They do put alot of work in them. Plus the vastly improved stickers and paintjobs. If they were just repackaging the ships as straight remakes, they definatly would not be worth the cost.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    O.k., so we've decided that we're happy to pay $90 for the shuttle? Not enough retooling is done to make this price reasonable in my opinion.

Retooling consists of removing the cool factor in the toys does it? Taking out the droid slot from the Y-wing and removing the electronics from all the vehicles. That's really worth the effort.

The shuttle probably won't pack with figures so the price should be lower. it's the figures as 'exclusives' that pushes the cost up. Can't see why as the pack in figures are a waste of space mostly. They gave the tie pilot knees and the cockpit doesn't have a seat that requires knees. The Sullustan in the B-wing was a white version that never even made it into the movie. he never flew a B-wing. And it was just a recoloured pilot from the cinema scene. nothing new. The snowspeeder pilots are just reused parts. it doesn't cost anything to do this. the cost of the ships thus far has been ridiculous. especially the exclusives which for most of us are bought on the secondary market because we don't have access to the stores who get the exclusives. It's a pointless exercise. And if the shuttle is going to be a FAO exclusive then most of us will be without shuttle yet again. It's in the domain of the rich and connected to get hold of stuff like that. It would cost me $200 to ship a shuttle to the UK. That's the minimum shipping cost that FAO will handle outside of the US. How in gods name am I supposed to get a shuttle please?

Amen to that!!!

InGenOps - THE Jurassic Park & Dinosaur site on the internet!
    http://InGenOps.250free.com

InGenOps Community Forums
    http://InGenOps.hyperboards.com

AND HOW!:happy:
    This is what I'm talking about! One of the very few items I don't have is the F.A.O. exclusive Fambaa. Not only would I have to have driven 40 minutes to the nearest F.A.O. to get it, but it just cost way too damned much in my opinion (AND it wasn't even a retooled mold! Someone explain to me why it cost as much for this brand new, completely new sculpted item as it probably will for a SLIGHTLY retooled one!); especially since it wasn't even slightly articulated!

IMO, there's no way Hasbro can justify the prices on most of these retooled vintage vehicles. Sure, there's inflation, but the costs of materials has also gone down as well. Sure, they have to retool the molds, but they don't have to pay for an entirely new design process. Yes, it costs more to ship, store, and display these items and space in toystores is at a much higher premium than it was 20 years ago, but I really don't buy these factoring into the equation this much - especially when Target blows out their prices on these things almost as soon as they get them.

How can they justify it? Because SW collectors keep paying these prices.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Exclusives suck (not the toys) just the fact that they're exclusives.

Hasbro should do away with the whole exclusive thing IMO.