Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cool Does anyone customize anymore?

I was just wondering if anyone is doing any customizing anymore.I haven't heard too much about it lately.Just started getting in to it myself.Made a few figures,but the one I like the best is my Jedi Wookie.He is painted grey with tan and black streaks.Haven't gave him a name but I thought he looked cool.Not a whole lot of figures around here to use as stock so the pickens is small.I also a have got into making lightsabers with different handles not just the same basic handles,I have added on some of them blades that come out from the bottom and top.Just so you know what I'm talking about,knife blades not light blades.
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

Most definitely. I have made an awesome (if I do say so myself) General Jar Jar. (this fig will make you think twice about JJ's smarts. He looks every part the warrior that he bacame near the end of EPI. As soon as I have a pic I'll post it .

On another note, how does everyone feel about the new forum?

Thumbs up Hell Yeah

Sure. I do it as much as I can. I am working on a figure right now.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I think its just a matter of time for any serious collector to begin their hands on customising. When I started about 2 years ago, I was virtually like buying everything off the shelves or pegs and there is no knowing when I can have all of them. 2 years down the road, I have come to realise that there is much more characters in the SW Universe that Hasbro has yet to catch up with and that I would want badly. Or a character was badly made by Hasbro that you think yourself could do better and set off to try your hands on proofing a point. Or a figure's price was blown all out of proportion that you think it ain't worth that money but you would want it badly and also want to show people your custom is way cooler than the "real" one.

So many reasons to start your own custom and IMO, its the end results that makes you proud. So, come on people, customing is fun!!

Thumbs up

I can only wish I had the talent to customize figures. I'd be able to do some simple stuff like changing and repainting body parts. but if it get to needing sculpting...my talent ends there.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Not to be disheartened and feel you have no talent or such in customising. If you can try to put your hands and some will power to it, I believe you or anybody else can do customs. You don't need to get concensus from everybody else and as long as you are happy with your own customs, I feel it is good enough. Hey, its your customs and as long as you are happy, its a good customs.

I think I own my meagre skills in sculpting in my years of collecting plastic model tanks. Therefore re-modelling as is the term for AFV (Armour fighting vehicles) is no new stuff for me. But then, to custom an action figure is a different ball game altogether. Nevertheless, I set out on my first Imperial Officer using Grand Moff Tarkin figure and I simpy sculpt a cap for him and painted his bare hands black to simulate gloves. Start off a simple custom and then move on from there.

You can do it

Humsup is right Cruel,

you're the only one who has to be happy with your customs, it doesn't really matter if they're good enough to sell or something, as long as you like them.

Besides, you'de be amazed the kinds of figures you can create by just painting and switching body parts. I pretty much get back into customizing only when a new NEW JEDI ORDER book comes out. I really don't like most SW books or comics but I still really wanted to have the Solo family and lots of the Jedis that appear, so those are what I've been working on.

Just by switching around and painting I think I came up with some kickass Solo kids that I really love. So go for it if you really want to.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Exclamation YES!

I do, but I am not good at the boil and pop stuff (no laughing) I just cant do it right. How long do you let it boil? I have recently bough a bunch of enamels. Stupid me. I need acrylics! Enamels make 'em all sticky! I used to use sharpies. I have only cut myself once with my hobby knife, and am proud of that!
    "Sometimes we are lucky enough to know our lives have been changed, to discard the old and embrace the new and run headlong down an immutable course."
    ~ Jacques Cousteau
    Great Traders: CowherPower

I think boiling is the first step to make the holes of the plastic larger. But that doesn't mean the parts will just slide out effortlessly. You have to apply a certain force and take it slow if you feel the pegs are elongating. It means the part are to be snapped. Well, I'm no expert in customising myself and for me, I study the structure of the pegs (when its 1/2 way out) to determine the final force to pull it out should be using a certain technique etc. I think I'm confuse

I'm in the process of making a 12" Barada, but I had to sculpt the head from scratch. Will post pictures soon.

I began customizing when Hasbro kept putting out Chewbacca figures with crossed eyes. I had to repaint the eyes and figured if I could do that successfully I could pretty much do anything.

If you're unsure about your talent then I would suggest starting small to build up your confidence. You don't have to build a figure from scratch right off the bat.

Some small customizations I've done are actually more like corrections; uncrossing Chewie's eyes, removing COMMTECH Artoo's restraining bolt, fixing the POTJ Scout Trooper visor with a fine tipped marker, etc.

Once you get into it you'll find that your customized figures actually mean more to you because they are unique and truly yours.