Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question A Novel Question...

We've read all the novels based on the lives and exploits of our heroes Han, Leia, Luke, Lando, etc... All the heroes from the movies...

I'm starting a project, shrouded in secrecy... but was wondering... suppose an author were to write a novel(s) that followed an imperial point of view... say the protagonist was an imperial soldier rising through the ranks. AND let's say for instance that it takes place between ESB all the way through the end of RotJ...

The only difference? It would not in any way shape or form follow our heroes of the rebellion. Characters such as Grand Admiral Thrawn would be included, and the story would basically consist of an imperial soldier (refuse to comment on what service he serves in etc...) who is spotted by big Imperial brass and is asked to create a branch of (essentially) some sort of special forces...

This is all still in the rough, very uncertain... but the main idea remains the same... I'm looking to see if anyone would be INTERESTED in reading a novel(s) that followed an imperial stormtrooper or pilot or something of that nature. I for one think it would be an interesting break from the norm.
    "All too easy..."

Exclamation

Han Solo's Imperial Navy days were shown in the A.C. Crispin trilogy. Kyle Katarn's days were the story in the Dark Forces series. The Dark Horse Crimson Empire comics also address Imperial cadets. The "Look sir; droids" Stormtrooper guy had his tale told the Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina book. So it's not an uncharted area.

P.S. This is a bit more apprpriate in the Comics/Books section.
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 09-03-2001 at 01:14 PM.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Yeah, I know...

Yeah, I know... but I wanted to get maximum reading, and in a section with almost 1500 posts, I figured this was as good (and "general") a place as any.
    "All too easy..."

PLUS the whole thing with Han Solo's Imperial days really doesn't count, since he was essentially a hero of the rebellion later on.

And again... I'm not talking about a little short story in a collection of "Tales of the Empire" (though with a little tweaking, that might actually work)... What I'm talking about is a novel or set of novels, be it a duology or trilogy, following SOLELY an Imperial character. And not a well known or big Imperial character such as a Daala or a Tarken or a Vader... I'm talking about a soldier... a soldier very much like Lieutenant Look-Sir-Droids..., only this young soldier fresh out of the academy shows a lot of promise and rises very well through the ranks of the Imperial Armed Forces.
    "All too easy..."

Lightbulb

Ah, now I get what you meant. I'd be a nice change from the "oh no the universe is going to be overrun!" storyline of the NJO, that's for sure!
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I'd read it. Certainly more eagerly than the rubbish written about those dumb jedi geezers. A total unknown rising through the ranks without encountering any characters previously found in the star wars universe - I like the sound of that.
    Carry on trooper.... you may write when ready................
    Last edited by Jargo; 09-03-2001 at 02:05 PM.

Thumbs up

Yep, i would read it too, this reminds me of Rougue Squadron, but in the empire mode, a tale that would be focused in the feelings of the imperial officers towards the empire (the emperor, vader, etc.) That would be really interesting!!
    As always...........L

But y'know....there is a story of sorts that fits this description...its called TIE Fighter. AND the TIE Fighter official strategy guide has like nine or so sections of the pilot in question, Maarak, going through the ranks. Its pretty good.
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

Wait a sec...
    I read the first little installment (came with my TIE Fighter game)... but I wasn't aware that there was more to the story. Does it follow the video game pretty closely?
    "All too easy..."

Oh, ok... the TIE Fighter book had an easy to read and enjoyable story line... but the purpose of it was as a guide, correct? I mean, you get parts where Maarek Steele starts describing to the reader the ships that he (I mean you) will be flying, etc... basically giving you a run down of the game while entertaining at the same time... I'm asking if this is actually the case, as I have not read the full thing... And again... How close to the game does it follow?
    "All too easy..."