Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Firm

The Firm

Tom Cruise fans rejoice! I've found another film where Tom plays a young hot shot "something" (in this case a lawyer) and plays it very believably well.

Jeanne Tripplehorn plays his young wife and Gene Hackman is great as his mentor as a young Havard Law graduate takes a position in a Memphis Tennesee law firm that represents the Chicago Mob.

The suspense takes you from Boston to Memphis to the beauty of the Grand Cayman Islands in the Caribbean and actually has always fostered an interest in me visiting there on vacation. The Hyatt looks beautiful and the scuba diving: amazing!

Aside from scenery, the plot is darn good and there's some sexy edginess to this thriller as well. I forget the name of the girl on the beach, but Holly Hunter played "Tammy." Gary Busey makes a great appearance as an ex-con Cop turned private investigator. What's not to love about this one?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

"The Firm" sounds like an adult film title...
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    What's not to love about this one?
    the fact they butchered the storyline of the book?

I didn't read the book. In fact, if not for the movie, I probably wouldn't have gone near the subject matter. But perhaps you can tell me some of the differences?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I forget is this the movie where Tom Cruise is the cocky lawyer or the cocky pilot or the cocky agent or the cocky race car driver or the cocky......

So true, JJB - that's why his role in Born on the 4th of July was one of his most versitile and best jobs acting. He's good at playing the cocky, young, fill-in-the-blank though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    So true, JJB - that's why his role in Born on the 4th of July was one of his most versitile and best jobs acting. He's good at playing the cocky, young, fill-in-the-blank though.
    "Meh!"
    - The Simpsons

I remember when this movie came out, I was living in Arizona and worked next door to the local movie theater, the trailers actually worked on me and I went and saw it and actually enjoyed it. It wasn't like most of what I had been watching at the time, but they played it slick enough that it was palatable. Plus, Wilford Brimley as a thug, how can you go wrong? I never read the book, but I'm told it's not all that unfaithful to it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    I forget is this the movie where Tom Cruise is the cocky lawyer or the cocky pilot or the cocky agent or the cocky race car driver or the cocky......
    bartender.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    bartender.
    don't forget cocky samari!!! All in all I'd have to say the Firm is a decnt flick plus as JT pointed out Wilford Brimley!