Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"

Nat'l Lampoon's Van Wilder

I watched most of this today, and it was your typical College Comedy with all the typical jokes (Who's grown tired of the laxitve in the drink gag? Raise your hands.) However, I was really impressed with newcomer Ryan Reynolds in the titular role and hope to see more from him in the future. It wasn't so much the jokes that were funny as his delivery of them. He has superb comic timing and facial gestures that reminded me of the classic SNL crew back in the day. Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, etc... He was helped by strong performances by Kal Penn, the guy playing Taj, the naive Indian assistant and veteran comic villian Paul Gleason (the principal from breakfast Club among other roles). The performances make this a fun little diversion and a chance for cult popularity.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Yes!
    to your Ryan Reynolds evaluation. I thought he was very funny, a real smartass. As for the movie itself, I laughed several times. Nothing too inventive or new, but I didn't expect much to begin with.

The movie was ok for what it was. I agree that Ryan Reynolds comic timing is superb. I thought the exact same thing as I was watching him, almost as if he was a younger Chevy Chase or Steve Martin. I always liked him on Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place before it got cancelled. It was a shame because he was really great in that as well.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

Don't forget the little Wookie scene boys....
    "One day I will become the most powerful Jedi (Sith) ever." Anakin Skywalker, Epi.II

Yoda is forever my hero now...

Originally posted by Sith Worm
    Don't forget the little Wookie scene boys....
    Of course, that was in an entirely different film. But feel free to start a Sorority Boys thread. I had no desire to see that one, so I won't be commenting in your Sorority Boys thread, but others might have seen Sorority Boys and want to chat about Sorority Boys with you, in that Sorority Boys thread.

What Wookiee scene?

Is it just me or did anyone else feel like they were going to throw up when the Delta Iota Kappa Fraternity guys were eating the "jelly" filled doughnuts?

SithDroid, it's hard to make me cringe during a movie but that scene was successful in such an attempt Horrible, horrible, horrible!

I'm surprised no one posted this yet: Tara Reid
    I just thought we should get that out of the way. Sorry, she's a cutie but I don't care for her too much in this movie.

ET Padawan, I raise my hand to the laxative question, but this movie incorporates the use of a trash can, which lends a breath of fresh air to the . . . realm of laxative jokes . . . . again.

Oh yes, the L'eclair scene. One of the few times I've almost left the theatre due to potential wretching.

Tara Reid. I concur. Not great in this movie. She's hot when she thumbs a ride in his golf cart. "Are you stalking me? Because that would be SUPER."

I thought the actor put a lot of effort into the "trash can" scene. "Ohmigod! I'm bleeding!" It made it a little more enjoyable watching his enthusiasm perfoming it.

I've never really like Tara Reid. She has IMO a really raspy voice that I just can't stand. I think it's probably because she smokes. She is pretty hot, but there were other Hotter women in the film that were throwing themselves at Van and I found it hard to believe that he would give them up for her.

I liked it, saw it in the theaters and I bought it as well. There is a sequel coming out based around Taj and his adventures in England.