Down with exclusives!!!

I am definitely turning to the Dark Side! I have been consumed by anger, fear, and hate - and am seriously starting to question my sanity - over my attempts at obtaining many of the elusive Hasbro exclusives. And now that they have finally produced a TIE Bomber (one of my all-time fave ships), they have the audacity to release only limited numbers to the WORST retail chain this side of Bespin!!

I do not understand the thinking of Hasbro, Lucas Licensing, or the Powers-that-Be by the limited release of items of such huge demand to long-time fans. Who is this helping? Not me! Not most of you, as I see many of your are crying out about the same thing! I wouldn't even venture to think that it helps Hasbro/Lucas Licensing when they could stand to make more of that ever-so-sacred money by producing more items to meet demand, instead of the limited numbers to lucky few. The only ones i see that exclusives benefit are those bastard, inhuman scalpers who couldn't give a womp rats @ss about Star Wars!

Now I can understand that Hasbro wants to make money, not lose it by swamping the market with unwanted toys (i.e. Jar Jar figures). And as of late, it has been apparent that they want to present the long-time fans with new, previously unproduced toys from their fave movies. And for such items I can understand a smaller run that that of a 'new movie' line. But by making only small quantities and marketing them through exclusive retailers, the average fan (with job and budget) has no chance against the hordes of scalpers that camp on these stores doorsteps, race to the toy aisles, and fight over who can grab the most to post on eBay an hour later or hock at the local comic shop/trade show. And with Lucas Licensing so desparate to maintain such Imperial control over any use or product with the Star Wars name on it, one would think that a system more beneficial to the true fans would be implemented - especially since Star Wars scalping has been an epidemic since thier resurection in '95.

In my opinion, Hasbro was on the right track when they offered the first exclusive through the Star Wars Fan Club. They could produce fewer units at a slightly higher price but with the assurance that the fans all had an equal opportunity to obtain it. And most importantly, the purchasing limits discouraged scalpers. I would much rather see SW exclusives - if there HAS to be exclusives - offered this way rather than has to deal with ingnorant retail imployees (Wal-Mart), or overpriced toy companies (FAO Schwartz).

I'm not an army builder. I've bought one of every figure (with the exception of one of two extras of the cool ones that i can open up and play with) since 1978. I like to get all the ships, open them up, put the stickers on and the figures inside and fly them around my living room (much to the amusement of my fiance). The hunt for new figures and ships is fine for the first few days - that's part of the fun of collecting. But after weeks of not finding something and seeing tons of that item up on eBay, it just makes my blood boil and makes me question my reason for collecting.

They're TOYS, people!!!

Come on, Hasbro, get with the program! You're not providing any service with your chain-retail exclusives to anyone except the blood-sucking scalpers that resell your merchandise (TIE Bombers/Snowspeeders) for three times it's value, or by making them so overpriced (rumored FOA Shuttle Tyderium) so as not to appeal to the average collector. The collectors are the ones that keep up the demand for SW product. The scalpers just monopolize on it. Stop making SW product for the fans and you lose a huge retail base. It won't effect the scalpers - they'll just move on to the the next thing to make their money.

BE HERE FOR THE FANS!!!! LONG LIVE STAR WARS!!!!

"Rise up and stab them with your plastic forks!"

"I'm getting too old for this kind of thing."
    "I'm getting too old for this kind of thing"

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    If 20,000 people desire a product and you only make 5000, you are losing out on 15,000 customers. The only thing it helps is the secondary market/after market price and neither Hasbro or FAO profit from that. only eBay and the scalpers. Wouldn't you rather be pocketing that cash, Hasbro? FAO? Imn my college economics classes, The supply and demand curves meet somewhere in the middle. Thay aren't artificially pushed into one corner.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

5000 Shuttles at $125 ea. = $625,000.00
    10,000 at $90 ea. = $900,000.00

Doubling production and dropping the price means $275,000 more in profit. C'mon, it's a hot item and definitely wanted toy, they could sell'em, and making more means even more profit. 'Course the lower the price the more they'll sell, granted they could sell out at a final price if they make smaller numbers, BUT, they'll get more profit at a larger amount even if they don't sell out of product and they can keep getting profit from it.

Right?
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

excellent points.That is exactly what I ment in another thread by no business sense at all.I still say Hasbro should open up their site and sell to us directly and can the retail exclusive.Am I beating a dead horse here with this idea?
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.

Worked with B'Omarr Monk and Muftak and Kabe. They might not've sold as many as they hoped, but they didn't have to worry about store's and collector's complaints. I've never heard a single complaint about when Muftak and Kabe and B'Omarr Monk were offered on Kenner's website, except of course my own which is because I didn't have a computer at the time of the B'Omarr Monk offer nor any net access at all.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Unhappy

I ordered M & K over the phone, and a friend who had 'Net access gave me the mailing form for BO'M, so I had no trouble at all getting them. But I also despise "exclusives." Do those stores really benefit? Not if the numbers available are so low. However, if there are so many sent to them, might speculators scoop them all up, thus creating an artifical shortage? I say, break the fingers of all scalpers/speculators and... what? Oh, sorry. Wrong topic. Get rid of exclusives.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

The George Lucas/Rebel Pilot figure is one exclusive that I will gladly pass up on.

The other exclusives I would not mind getting if they weren't so hard to find. Who missed out on the Skiff, Y-Wing, or one of the Speeder Bikes that Target offered? I think I had a better chance of winning the Big Game lottery than finding either one of those exclusives. Most of them were scooped up by a handful of scalpers while what was left flew off the shelves in no time. If one store is only going to carry that exclusive figure than make sure there is enough to go around, to satisfy the normal collector's base.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

I don't think you could move 5,000 units of the Imperial Shuttle this year. There'll be way too much other Star Wars product on the shelves (NEW product at that). The only way FAO will move 5,000 Shuttles at $125 each is if AOTC spawns a hundred thousand more die-hard Star Wars toy collectors.

Just be happy Hasbro's found a retail partner stupid enough to buy that many pieces. Otherwise, it'd be even longer to get produced... if ever.

Originally posted by MisterPL
    I don't think you could move 5,000 units of the Imperial Shuttle this year. There'll be way too much other Star Wars product on the shelves (NEW product at that). The only way FAO will move 5,000 Shuttles at $125 each is if AOTC spawns a hundred thousand more die-hard Star Wars toy collectors.

Just be happy Hasbro's found a retail partner stupid enough to buy that many pieces. Otherwise, it'd be even longer to get produced... if ever.
    You think that 5000 is to many? These 5000 are going to be gone faster then you think. Infact my local MI FAO store has almost 100 names taken so far, and you can bet at the bigger FAO's it's no doubt 5 times that many already. Not to mention sadly the scalpers will snatch up as many as they can get their grubby hands on. There are over 2,000 members here on SSG's forums, probably an equal ammount on Rebelscums, and then you have the other websites that likely have a 1,000 or so themselves. Even the FAO I called said they thought that 5000 was way to limited. Their past 12" exclusives have been limited to 20,000-25,000 and those sold predominatly well. Not to mention there are alot more people that collect the 3 3/4" line over the 12".

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.