Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Is George Lucas Timeless?

I know that we all like Star Wars, but is George Lucas timeless? Will these movies he created live on in movie history with the likes of “Gone with the Wind” or “Citizen Cane”? Will his name be mentioned with the great storytellers of history? It is still way to early to tell if his movies will be “classic” rather than fan favorites, but I think time will tell. I think they will live on in movie history as one of the greatest stories ever told.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

I think they will be remembered for a very long time but will fade away eventually like everything else.The'll be replaced by some piece of trash that better reflects todays sensibilities and society as a whole.You all know what I mean.Empty crap that just pretends to mean something
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.

Lucas is not timeless, Star Wars might be timeless though. It'll depend on how Ep 2 and 3 are accepted - if they work on the same levels as ROTJ and Ep 1, then no.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

As for however long 2D films remain popular on this mudball, the Star Wars movies will remain timeless.

Advancements in entertainment technology, such as fully 3D/Holographic stuff I'm sure will have a deeper impact on the people who watch and witness such pieces of escapism. 2D films will probably remain a form of entertainment, as I'm certain that technology will eventually make creating anything in 2D (like the 3D imagery in the prequel trilogy) a piece of cake. But they eventually will lose their role as a social gathering place to watch in a big theater.

Will Star Wars movies remain in cultural consciousness like William Shakespear's plays? I'm leaning towards a yes on that. They certainly won't be considered any greater/better than they are today, but they should retain a lasting mark. The name George Lucas will probably not be nearly as long lasting (as has already been said).

I'm also believing that if 3D movie/storytelling becomes a reality, the people living in that time can expect to see a remake of all the SW movies in that format.

Star Wars, possibly. George Lucas, no.

GL created something great, but he has no where near the impact like Alfred Hitchcock or Walt Disney.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

IIRC, Shakespeare's plays were considered junk when they came out, they were the soap operas of their time. It was only later that they were accepted as timeless storytelling.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I for one, truly hope that when all is said and done Lucas will be seen to have succeeded in his original task of helping to create a new mythology that will inspire people for generations to come.

Honestly, I think before Ep 1, Lucas had already done that (even though ROTJ sorta cheapened it), but with these prequels, he's deconstructing the mythology way too much and swaying towards "epic kiddie film" rather than "modern myth".

...in your opinion of course. Some of us actually like the prequels.

I agree JT. Before the prequels the SW Saga was more holy, now with the prequels it is like it has been cheapened to some childish action driven story with tons of special effects included to attract a new "childish" younger generation of "fans." I hope AOTC is a ton better than TPM.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."