Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid"

What reasons could George put into Episode III for why Ben Kenobi doesn't remember R2?

Any thoughts?

Here's my theorys:
    Obi-Wan has his memory erased...erm, I guess NOT!
    He generally DOES forget...as if!
    The "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid" was really a secret code between him and R2, we find out what it means in Episode III...

Ok...your thoughts.

PENDO!

He's a liar in ANH, big time. His certain point of view is really just a bold faced lie. And actually he never said he didn't recognize R2-D2, all he said was that he didn't remember ever owning a droid. And he didn't, R2-D2 belonged to Padme so he's bending the truth with his certain point of view.

Plus, he may not recognize R2-D2 immediatly, remember the R2 series is a pretty standard astromech unit. I am sure that there are more then just one that was painted white and blue rolling around out there.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

From what I've heard and seen, Obi-Wan never owned a droid and all astromechs DO look alike. I think Obi-Wan was being straight-up.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I agree JT he never(as far as we've seen) owned any droids let alone R2 D2
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.

I didn't think the Jedi really had possessions, aside from their lightsabers and robes and maybe a little Jedi handbook with "1001 cryptic sayings for every occasion."

Seriously, Obi-Wan never owned a droid, Artoo belonged to Padme. No "certain point of view about it." It's pretty cut and dry. Obi-Wan might've recognized Artoo in ANH; but I doubt he would have said anything. Someone in hiding for twenty years would learn to not give out unnecessary information.

As for Threepio, were Obi-Wan and Threepio ever even in the same room together in Ep1? From what I've read they aren't exactly drinking buddies in Ep2 either.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    He also says "It's OK my little friend. He'll be alright." That sounds like he recognizes the spunky little astromech.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
    He also says "It's OK my little friend. He'll be alright." That sounds like he recognizes the spunky little astromech.
    Yep, good point EP. I had forgotten that line of dialogue that Ben says to R2-D2. Most likely he did recognize him then. As for why C-3PO doesn't remember anything, who knows. Perhaps he was memory wiped, or he has a secured storage section of his brain where all the prequel events are stored for security reasons. Guess we need to wait til E3 to find out. Makes sense to me.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Perhaps Obi-Wan was just trying to calm down R2-D2. Lucas typically portrays droids as having human personalities in his films. Obi-Wan would be used to droids reacting in a human way, and he would interact with them in human ways.

As for his line about never owning a droid, I don't think he recognizes R2 at first, but he might have a slight suspicion. After all, his whole line is: "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid. Very interesting." When he sees Leia's hologram, then I think he realizes who R2-D2 is. Remember, he glances back at R2 once the holo starts playing. It's almost like a double take and a realization.

But of course, Obi-Wan knows the droids have had a memory wipe (why else wouldn't they recognize Tatoonie, the name Skywalker, the homestead, etc???). There's no point in bringing this up. It wouldn't mean anything to the droids, and it would lead to having to tell Luke who Darth Vader really is.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

Originally posted by Sith Lord 0498
    But of course, Obi-Wan knows the droids have had a memory wipe (why else wouldn't they recognize Tatoonie, the name Skywalker, the homestead, etc???). There's no point in bringing this up. It wouldn't mean anything to the droids, and it would lead to having to tell Luke who Darth Vader really is.
    I disagree with that, while C-3PO may have had a memory wipe, I don't think any evidance points twords R2-D2 having had one. He knows his way around on Tatooine, knows which way to go to find Obi-Wan, like he's been there before. R2-D2 isn't really a chatterbox like C-3PO, and he needs someone to translate his beeps and whistles, unlike C-3PO so he's not gonna just blab it to anyone on accident.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

If R2 hasn't had a memory wipe, then why doesn't he tell 3PO about Anakin when he realises that Luke carries the same surname? I think maybe parts of their memories have been wiped but not all of it...

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection