Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kevin Smith and the Phantom Edit

I read an alleged quote on the Force.Net by Kevin Smith denying that he was the person behind this. Did any of you (or do any of you) believe he would even be capable of doing it?

I never did. He may or may not have liked it, but he seems like a pretty "down to earth" guy and way too professional to "insult" a colleague like that.

From what I have heard, he's a SW figure scalper, so yeah, I think he is capable of making it. But he claimed on his own website that he didn't.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    From what I have heard, he's a SW figure scalper
    Wow, that is really insulting if it's true.

Regardless, while reading his comments on TPM, I fully believe he might have been buffering his opinions.

Question

It would be interesting if it really was him. I think he has the capability, but I am sure if it was him.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Sometimes you can read between the lines because the person has written full paragraphs there. I think there is a distinct possibility that he was responsible for the Phantom Edit. I think he has the technical ability to pull something like this off- for SURE!

...I didn't know about the figure scalping thing, though... are we sure about this?
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I must say I never bought it. Sure, he'd have the capability, but any self-respecting filmmaker (which, scalper or not, he seems to be) would be more concerned with his own films than someone else's. Not to mention, last time I checked, he was writing a few comics every month, so I imagine he wouldn't have the time even if he wanted to.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Hey, total respect to Kevin Smith..... he is the only guy in the last few years that has directed a film that I thought was good and funny (Dogma), now you guys are having a pop at him.......

What's the scalping thing though?
    [FONT=garamond]'Eternity is very long... especially towards the end.' - Woody Allen[/FONT]

I'll never "take a pop" at Kevin Smith himself, because he seems like a genuine guy to me. But I'll take pops at Jay, Silent Bob, and Dogma on request!

Back to the scalping thing - JediTricks, can you give any details?

If this scalping thing is true thats a real shame. Kevin Smith always seemed like a good guy. Aw well...can't judge a book by his cover I suppose...
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

I'm not going to name my source on this without permission, but this source is pretty solid:

Back in the day, Kevin Smith had just made a big successful film, "Clerks", and had gotten fame and a little cash. So he'd go around to his local TRUs, Targets, Wal-marts, etc., with Jason Mewes in tow and get special treatment from employees for SW figures which were put in the back just for him, and he'd buy up stuff like the 12" Tauntaun w/ Han (this was back in the day when there were a million impossible-to-get 12" exclusives) and sell them out of his store for WAYYYYY more than TRU was charging. My source says that Kevin and Jay were seen by said source doing this all the time, constantly getting special favors from employees (even when the source would ask about the very same stuff and the employee would say "there is none", all of a sudden there'd be Kevin Smith showing up and nabbing what was just asked about) and cleaning out the stores of all the good stuff that's HTF, and it all went into Kevin's store and pocket. Once the big bankroll came in, I hear he sold that store and started "Secret Stash".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.