Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Running Man

The Running Man

This 1987 film is one of Arnold Schwarzeneggar's finest films. It depicts how low society could regress as we isolate ourselves, desensitizing ourselves to human suffering in the pursuit of profit and power. Meanwhile, television and entertainment tell us what to think and what to feel.

Meanwhile the Running Man show takes a concept like American Gladiators and ramps it up to lethal status, as the Stalkers kill convicts in a manhunt game. Each Stalker has a gimmick like Fireball, the chainsaw wielding Buzzsaw, or the Killer Hockey Player Sub-Zero.

It's a really good show plus it adds some 80's glamor rock to the soundtrack and who can't like that. (I honestly wish that movies would return to using this type of soundtrack again, mixed with some good classic scores of course).

Anyway, The Running Man moves at a fast pace and you won't get bored with this one. The Latina girl that Arnold finds as his love interest is quite a great-looking catch, as well.

This was a perfect and very under-rated movie with a decent social message underneathe it.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I think this movie was a solid movie--a little dated, but does attempt to comment on a society (our society) that glorifies violence.

Richard Dawson stood out as the maniacal ratings obsessed gameshow host (wonder how much acting was done here?) who was always striving to outdo the already bloody antics his hit t.v. gameshow featured.

Plus, you can't beat a movie with Yaphet Kotto.

SMASH TV, the classic arcade game, always reminds me of this movie.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Jesse Ventura gets the ocassional b-role in Arnold movies: Predator and The Running Man. Possibly more.

I don't mind him at all. He does a good job for his type-cast.

And they both wound up as state governors, too. Perhaps there is a conspiracy?

Sylvester Stallone will wind up running for office next?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Sonny Landham from Predator also made a gubernatorial run.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Sonny Landham from Predator also made a gubernatorial run.
    Which one was he again?

He played Billy, the scout guy who could sniff out the Predator (well, that is before the Pred ripped his skull and spine from his body ).

Billy was a cool character.

The best line has to be by that sweet old lady who gets selected as the contestant to bet on the stalkers. Instead she bets on the runner, Richards.

When Killian asks her why she is betting on him, she says she likes Richards. "He's one mean mother#%#%@."
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

CaptainSolo will do the running man if you give him a dollar.
    It's hilarious.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!