Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Crapawful paint job on Clonetrooper

I just picked up a slew of figs I didn't have yet, and in my excitement to actually see a good amount of almost every fig, I didn't pay close attention to details, I suppose. So I get back to work and open up the Clonetrooper, and I swear this thing looks like it was painted by someone who had his or her eyes closed the entire time. Paint flecks everywhere they shouldn't be...VERY sloppy lines on the helmet...smudges of what looks like dirt and paint all over the place, and one side of the helmet is spattered with a faint brown. Plus, the small gun he's supposed to hold which I assume should be solid black except for the butt, is spattered with white paint all over it. Jeez. I know it's my fault for not looking more closely but I think it's total BS putting something of that quality out on shelves.

Edit: Note that I'm of course talking about the AOTC Clonetrooper and not the Preview one. I think I'll take some pics of this thing when I get home. Anyone else seen any figs with terrible paint jobs and/or defects?

Re: Crapawful paint job on Clonetrooper

Originally posted by Forhekset
    Jeez. I know it's my fault for not looking more closely but I think it's total BS putting something of that quality out on shelves.
    No, trust me, I've gotten several of these guys and the paint job on ALL of them is pretty terrible.

I'm planning on just painting white over all the red parts so I'll have plain troopers, and it will also just look a lot better than Hasbros paint job.

I was actually surprised how much I really like the Clonetroopers though. I wasn't planning on getting any of them, but I realized how hard they are to find in my area so when I saw the last one sitting on a Wal-Mart peg I figured what the heck.

They really did pretty well with his articulation; it's nearly as good as the Commtech Stormtrooper. Considering you get a rifle, and a huge firing cannon with him, I'd say he's a pretty good deal.

His paint still sucks though...
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

i have several that are just plain terrible, my Clone Trooper the rifle looks like it was dropped on the ground during painting and then still packaged, blotchy and whatnot. dont get me wrong i DO like the Saga figures it just seems that the quality of them is either hit or miss. when the hit its dead on, when they miss.....
    "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?" - Derek Klivian

I bought 3 of them, and mine all look great!
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Just take the time to pick out a good paintjob. I looked at 3 CloneTroopers before I found a really nice one. It's tough to get straight lines on a curved surface, so you just have to be patient and picky. Now I need to go buy a few more to make Yellow, Blue, and Green Troopers.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Yeah, I think the articulation on the Clonetrooper is pretty decent as well (though anything is good compared to, say, Nikto or Kit Fisto). Actually I think overall he's a really nice figure considering the cannon he comes with and the fact he can actually hold his gun in both hands (though I think he stands up better without his foot on the little rock pile deal). It's just the paint....argh.

They had tons and tons of these guys when I bought mine. I almost bought several because up until then I hadn't been able to find a single one. I'm glad I didn't, though. I haven't gotten any other figures so far that really had horrible paint jobs...there's a smudge or two on Padme but that's about it, aside from this hideous Clonetrooper.

I agree with ya, JediIan, on the hit and miss thing. In particular the Dexter Jettster I got looks friggin' amazing. Zam and C-3PO look pretty nice too I think. Then you have garbage like the Clonetrooper....

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Just take the time to pick out a good paintjob. I looked at 3 CloneTroopers before I found a really nice one. It's tough to get straight lines on a curved surface, so you just have to be patient and picky. Now I need to go buy a few more to make Yellow, Blue, and Green Troopers.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    It isn't just the sloppy lines. I could deal with that. Trust me, the entire paint job sucks horribly. And yeah I should have picked out a good paint job, but as I mentioned, it slipped my mind. My point is Hasbro shouldn't allow trash like that to reach the shelves.

I guess I lucked out...

My red Clonetrooper has a good paint job. I agree completely though, the Quality Control on the decos is really bad. I spent quite a bit of time picking out my figures. I was lucky to find two stores with good stock and not many other buyers. Just need Taun We and the Royal Guard.
    "Three goofballs and a guy in a monkey suit."

I went thru about 15 Clone Troopers before I found one with a half-way decent paint job. The edges on the helmet are just a little fuzzy, but the arms and shoulders are sharp and the gun is clean.
    I'm definitely not hip on the day-glow red though - they could've picked a better shade - but I do like the articulation and the inserted tri-pod gun.
    "I'm getting too old for this kind of thing"

I need to go back to Wal-Mart for something else so I think I'm going to look around and see if I can find a better Clonetrooper. Though I didn't want more than one in the first place, so it kinda sucks that I'm having to buy another one just to get one that looks decent. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one who got stuck with a crummy paint job.