DVD commercial last night, new footage shown

"In 5 days... Expect more from DVD" (voice and text match here); Cut to a starfield with a giant black I with glowing orange light, a big new shiny gold Star Wars logo, and the glowing red The Phantom Menace underneath that, voice over says "Star Wars Episode One..." (no voice-over saying "The Phantom Menace"); cut to scene of a view from the cockpit of Anakin's podracer avoiding scavenger droids, on-screen text reads: "The 7 new scenes are true gems" DVDreview.com voice over says "See 7 newly-created scenes that critics rave are true gems." During that voice over, we see Ani's pod fly by more scavenger droids, a shot of the Coruscant taxi in action, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan escaping from the Gungan Sub hanging over the waterfall with the rotor still slowly spinning. Scene diagonally wipes to Qui-Gon on Tatooine whipping out his saber and slashing a sith probe droid in half, voice over says "Star Wars Episode One, on DVD October 16th", during this, the scene changes to a close-up of Sebulba's podracer engine opening the flame weapon hatch and flaming Ody Mandrell's pod engine, finally they show the disks sliding out of the cover.

So I'm guessing we won't be seeing this commercial today. (because it's now 4 days until the DVD.) I saw this commercial last night during Farscape and they showed those little snips from some of the DVD cut scenes, but the blithering text all over them while the announcer was going on and on ruined the effect, you couldn't see as much as you would want. Anyway, so you DVD folks should be a little jazzed now.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I saw a similar one where they say "...like it's never been seen before..." and show quick cuts of deleted scenes.

"...like it never been heard before..." and a graphic of 5.1 Surround comes up on screen.

"...and bonus material you'll actually watch!" They show some quick shots of Ray Park practicing with a stick and some CGI stuff.

The last line cracked me up, implying that bonus material you find on other discs is lame.

Actually seeing the deleted scenes in motion (and not still images like in SW Insider) was cool! I can hardly wait the 3 extra days before I get this. Anybody who preordered this might be lucky and get it in the mail on Friday or Saturday...you lucky mutts you...

Rollo, you're gonna hate me for crowing now mate, but I get my copy on monday morning when it's released here in the UK. I'm not gonna rush there to pick it up but it does give me that little glow of having scored something ahead of you Americans.

*okay, I know some folk already have it and all of that jazz*

It'll be interesting to try and access all those easter eggs we keep hearing about though. Shame I don't have a DVD-ROM drive to access the episode two website from the disk. See, that's something I won't have so it's not all peachey.

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
    but it does give me that little glow of having scored something ahead of you Americans.
    Give us a break, man. Our country was attacked.

master jedi,

were you joking? yes we were attacked, but what does that have to do with anything dvd related?

i'm not accusing you of this, but i've recently heard of people trying to get out of things like traffic accidents because of the events of sept. 11. "come on, can't you cut me some slack after the attack?" (even though they are 1000 miles away.)

what's next? a teacher asks little timmy where's his homework. instead of the "my dog at it " excuse, will we now be hearing,"we were attacked, you can't expect me to concentrate at a time like this."?

Um, I think he was joking. And as for the DVD, I don't quite see what all the fuss is about. I'll probably pick it up once Blockbuster starts trying to get rid of their used ones, or maybe after the retailers try to clear out their overstocked storerooms. Anyone want to buy my Ep.1 widescreen VHS tape? It came with a few film frames w/ Anakin & Padme... Didn't think so...
    Thomas Lane
    tlane@parlant.com

You can sent me the frames! I'm going to buy EVERY SINGLE widescreen VHS version I can find and splice all the frames together so I can have a personal print of the film....lessee $20 for 3 frames is $160 for 1 second of film. That's $9600 for 1 minute...So roughly $300,000 for my own 35mm print of the film. And an unlimited supply of VHS tapes....

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    The last line cracked me up, implying that bonus material you find on other discs is lame.
    For the most part, the bonus material I find on other discs is lame...I don't watch much in the way of bonus material anymore, I just can't find the time or interest. Star Wars bonus material, however, is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    You can sent me the frames! I'm going to buy EVERY SINGLE widescreen VHS version I can find and splice all the frames together so I can have a personal print of the film....lessee $20 for 3 frames is $160 for 1 second of film. That's $9600 for 1 minute...So roughly $300,000 for my own 35mm print of the film. And an unlimited supply of VHS tapes....
    Hey this was alot funnier when I read it on TFN 6 years ago.