Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sidious is Palpatine--I found proof!

Okay, this was a given, but I saw proof last night in a local bookstore. While thumbing through one of the RPG sourcebooks (I think it was The Dark Side Handbook, or something like that), I happened upon the following quote (which is from memory and, therefore, probably way off):

"Years before he had the Emperor's Hands [eg Mara Jade, roughly the time period of the Classic Trilogy], Palpatine used Darth Maul as his instrument."

Wow! As if "I will make it legal" wasn't enough evidence. I'm kind of surprised LucasFilm allowed this--they've been keeping a tight lid on the supposed mystery of Darth Sidious up until now.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Maybe Lucasflim figured that everyone already knew that he was.
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

I think The Phantom Menace had more than enough proof.

Palpatine/Sidious says these two lines: "I will make it legal." and says this to Anakin "We'll be watching your career with great interest."

At Qui-Gons funeral Mace Windu says "But which was destroied? The Master or the Apprentice?" and then the camera pans over to Palpatine.

Also it appears that Palpatine has no force ability in TPM but when he's emperror in RotJ he has force powers. How else would he have force powers if he wasn't sidious.

To me this is more than enough proof.

I agree that it was pretty easy to figure out. The Anakin line is a killer for anyone. Thats like a the missing piece of a puzzle.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Yeah, we all knew it. The Anakin line isn't really much of a giveaway, actually, since we knew that Palpatine trained/turned Ani. This line only confirms what we already knew about that. Given only the evidence in TPM, it's feasible (although wrong) that Sidious trained Palpatine (using him as a pawn to "make it legal"), who trained Anakin. The statement about Maul working for Palpy, I think, is the first direct proof from Georgie that they're the same--Maul only lived long enough to see one Sith Master, and if that guy is alternately referred to in different sources as Sidious and Palpatine, it proves they're the same.

Again, we already knew this, but I think it's nice to have confirmation.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Wink

I knew it when I checked the credits of TPM where it said, and I quote: "Senator/Supreme Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine and Darth Sidious - Ian McDermid." It said that EXACTLY, including the misspelled name of the actor. Or maybe Clive What's-His-Name will become the emperor. I'll try to dig up my thread in the Old Forums where I found out the "proof" of what the Phantom Menace really is!

Oh, no I did NOT edit this post!
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 09-06-2001 at 03:46 PM.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Until its proven IN THE MOVIE that they are THE SAME PERSON,your find is condsidered EU!

EU not WANTED around these parts!
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    I knew it when I checked the credits of TPM where it said, and I quote: "Senator/Supreme Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine and Darth Sidious - Ian McDermid."
    I don't recall seeing Sidious in the credits, but I didn't look for him like that. I'll have to check that out again.

BTW, GNT, I realize it's EU, but keep in mind that all EU has to be approved by LucasFilm. Therefore it couldn't say Palpatine was Maul's master unless it was a fact straight from whatever version of the story Lucas was on at the time of publication.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Anyone who owns the "Episode I Insider's Guide" CD-ROM:

Look under the entry for Darth Sidious and click on the "behind-the scenes" photos. There is a head shot of Sidious against a bluescreen with a caption that reads something like, "The Darth Sidious costume, worn by actor Ian McDiarmid."

If nothing else, at least this proves that the same actor played both Sidious and Palpatine.

Furthermore, since this CD-ROM was released about the same time as the movie in '99, it seems that Lucasfilm wasn't all that concerned about people finding out the secret.

(BTW, Chuxter, Sidious isn't listed in the credits. Bel-Cam's just having a little fun with you.)

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    BTW, GNT, I realize it's EU, but keep in mind that all EU has to be approved by LucasFilm. Therefore it couldn't say Palpatine was Maul's master unless it was a fact straight from whatever version of the story Lucas was on at the time of publication.
    Your stealing what I normally say in these situations
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious