Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Thanks it was a difficult venture but it was worth the time I spent.

Awesome Anakin figure, metaljedi!
    If Yoda is capable of kicking someone's @$$, imagine what a muppet could do!

Hey thanks Hasbro'sBountyHunter. I appreicate it!

Darth Vellner, what type of paint did you use for the Clone Troopers?
    If Yoda is capable of kicking someone's @$$, imagine what a muppet could do!

JEDIpartnr's figure "fixes"

I haven't been 100% thrilled with the paint jobs given to the new SAGA line. I was a little disappointed that the initial Obi-Wan figures haven't been as good as the ones released for some of the other characters... including Anakin, which have been passable. In this thread I have posted a couple pics and the modifications I have done on the figures. The pictures don't give as much detail as I wish they could, but perhaps you'll be able to see what I did. I hope you enjoy them...
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Obi-Wan Kenobi 12"

I picked up the Obi-Wan figure as I saw potential in this sculpt. The head was a little on the "chubby" side, so a fix on that was in order. I used a blow dryer to heat up the vinyl. Once the piece was softened, I applied a wood clamp to it and let it cool slowly. I left the clamp on overnight and that helped give the head its correct proportion.

I then proceeded to repaint the facial hair, including the eyebrows. I used several good shots of Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan and out of costume to get the eye brows right. The problem with the Eyebrows on the manufacturer model is that they are a little too high and thin.

The beard wasn't painted in fully as there are some grooves indicating where the beard should have continued to. The hair indicated the same, so it was just a matter of "completing" the paint job.

I used a vinyl paint that a local craft store sells. The sales associate was very helpful in letting me know that these are paints they recommend for people doing craft dolls and that the paint won't deteriorate the vinyl head.

The last thing I did was clothe the figure in the Episode I Obi-Wan cloak. The Episode I figure looks better without it and this one looks better WITH it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obi-wan re-paint.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	3260  

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Knight)

This figure is the one formerly known as "Starfighter Pilot". I was pretty unhappy with the head sculpt of the "Coruscant Chase" version... even though the overall figure was pretty cool. I didn't feel much like waiting around for Hasblah to have another go at an Obi-Wan figure since I thought the "Starfighter" version was pretty good. I picked up two of these so I could "de-pilot" him.

The first thing I had to do was get rid of the headgear. I used a finepoint craft knife to shave off the unwanted bits of plastic. I made sure, in the process, of leaving enough plastic on the head so I didn't create a divot. Once this was done, I used the knife to "stipple" the beard and hair details back onto the head.

I didn't feel like going crazy on this to fill the gap where the headband was, so I just left it. I used Testors enamel paint in the colours of "Flat brown" and "Flat light yellow" to paint the details back in.

Once I completed this portion, I repainted the eyebrows to make them a little thicker looking. The last part was to fix the "lazy eye" thing. I used a light blue paint to repaint the corneas. It was pretty taxing, but I managed well enough using a push-pin and enough paint to cover the desired area. Once the paint dried, I applied the black dot, also using a push-pin.

Name:	obi-wan 3.75 re-paint.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	3262  

See-Threepio (Deluxe Figure)

The most recent "fix" I did was on the new See-Threepio Deluxe Figure. As it has been noted in other threads, Hasblah pared this one the awesome details that were put on the basic figure. First off... there was nothing I could really do to fix the flatness of the back of his head. They really messed that up. Seconly... he is a good deal shorter than the basic figure. Very odd.

Anyhow... I studied the details of the basic figure before I plunked myself down to work on the figure. I noticed that there were all sorts of cool divots and grooves in the basic one that made it look all beat up and used. I proceeded with some carving and stippling on this figure using the fine point craft knife and a finishing nail. Once I finished gouging and poking, I was ready to paint.

The first thing I noticed about the paint was that there was a lack of that copper colour that was present on the basic figure, so I started there. I put the paint on in the appropriate areas and then wiped a little of it off as it dried to give it that "worn" look.

I also applied a creme coloured paint to the areas people referred to as "painted with Typex" or "WiteOut". Once I finished that, I needed to paint the face. I had already applied the copper paint to the head, so It was dry and ready to go. I used a flat black paint and a stippling brush to paint the mouth and returned to my trusty friend, the push-pin to "dot the eyes", so-to-speak.

That completed my job on my pal Threepio!

Name:	threepio re-paint.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	3263  

they look pretty good, JEDIpartnr! keep up the good work!
    YF
    Sampsonite! i was way off!