DARKLORD's Custom Action Figures (Part 2)

HAN SOLO: BESPIN OUTFIT: *** Work In Progress***

Custom Figure and Photos by Roberto Williams

PROBLEM:

I actually felt (and still do) that the Vintage Kenner Bespin Han Solo had a terrific general shape and build that I liked very much. Infortunately, the vintage Han's facial likeness was clumsy by today’s standards.

In contrast, the POTF II Han Bespin (both versions) were overly bulky, each with strange looking face sculpts.

The POTJ Han Bespin Capture is a VERY nice figure with some nice added articulation, However it’s just NOT neutral enough in its posing for my taste. I mean, even his jacket has a pre-posed sculpt. Also, the sculpted jacket seems to have a bulkiness that just makes it look Ill-fitting to me.

GOAL:

It took a LOT of experimentation to come up with the final “recipe” that I used to create this HAN SOLO in his “Bespin Outfit”. Of course, my goal with this figure is to reflect the cocky, cynical demeanor of the scoundrel star pilot. Hopefully, after I’m done painting him, he will really come alive! Also, he is correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs). “You like me because I’m a scoundrel. There aren’t enough scoundrels in your life”

RECIPIE:

1) POTJ Han Solo Death Star Escape: (Head, Pelvis (with slight re-sculpt in crotch) )
    2) POTJ Han Solo Bespin Capture: (White shirt torso)
    3) Vintage Kenner Han Solo Bespin: (Arms, Legs, Torso (hollowed-out jacket only) )
    4) POTF II Comm Tech Han Solo: (Left hand)
    5) POTJ Rebel Trooper: (Right hand)
    6) SAGA Han Solo Hoth Rescue: Holster and gun belt, Blaster pistol, Lightsaber hilt (as cylinder detail on gun belt)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...spinOutfit.jpg
    -Roberto DARKLORD Williams

Re: DARKLORD's Custom Action Figures (Part 2)

HAN SOLO: HOTH PATROL:
    Custom Figure and Photo by Roberto Williams

PROBLEM:

Neither Kenner nor Hasbro ever created a Han Solo Hoth Outfit figure with an actual CLOTH snow hood that could be pulled back to reveal Han Solo!! Not Good!

GOAL:

I wanted a neutrally-posed, detailed 4 inch-scale action figure of Captain HAN SOLO in his Hoth Snow Uniform. He had to reflect the scoundrel star pilot that seemed openly uncomfortable with the inhospitable snow environment of the planet HOTH. As seen in The Empire Strikes Back, I wanted the fur-lined hood of his overcoat to be able to be pulled back so that Solo’s face could be revealed underneath. Also, he had to be correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs). “There isn’t enough life on this ice cube to fill a space cruiser! Sensors are placed I’m goin’ back!

RECIPIE:

1) POTJ Han Solo Death Star Escape: (Head )
    2) SAGA Han Solo Hoth Rescue: (Full body (With legs surgically straightened into a neutral pose, blaster pistol)
    3) SAGA General Rieekan (Pelvis)
    4) POTF II Han Solo Hoth: (Snow cap and goggles (Hollowed-out to fit on figure’s head underneath snow hood)
    3) Navy Blue fabric (Used to create cloth hood for snow jacket)
    4) Craft fur (Used to create Fur lining of jacket hood)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...HothPatrol.jpg

HAN SOLO: BESPIN OUTFIT:

Custom Figure and Photos by Roberto Williams

PROBLEM:

I actually felt (and still do) that the Vintage Kenner Bespin Han Solo had a terrific general shape and build that I liked very much. Infortunately, the vintage Han's facial likeness was clumsy by today’s standards.

In contrast, the POTF II Han Bespin (both versions) were overly bulky, each with strange looking face sculpts.

The POTJ Han Bespin Capture is a VERY nice figure with some nice added articulation, However it’s just NOT neutral enough in its posing for my taste. I mean, even his jacket has a pre-posed sculpt. Also, the sculpted jacket seems to have a bulkiness that just makes it look Ill-fitting to me.

GOAL:

It took a LOT of experimentation to come up with the final “recipe” that I used to create this HAN SOLO in his “Bespin Outfit”. Of course, my goal with this figure is to reflect the cocky, cynical demeanor of the scoundrel star pilot who reluctantly joins the Rebel alliance. Also, he is correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs). “You like me because I’m a scoundrel. There aren’t enough scoundrels in your life”

RECIPIE:

1) POTJ Han Solo Death Star Escape: (Head, Pelvis (with slight re-sculpt in crotch) )
    2) POTJ Han Solo Bespin Capture: (White shirt torso)
    3) Vintage Kenner Han Solo Bespin: (Arms, Legs, Torso (hollowed-out jacket only) )
    4) POTF II Comm Tech Han Solo: (Left hand)
    5) POTJ Rebel Trooper: (Right hand)
    6) SAGA Han Solo Hoth Rescue: Holster and gun belt, Blaster pistol, Lightsaber hilt (as cylinder detail on gun belt)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../HanBespin.jpg

HAN SOLO: HOTH PATROL:
    Custom Figure and Photo by Roberto Williams

PROBLEM:

Neither Kenner nor Hasbro ever created a Han Solo Hoth Outfit figure with an actual CLOTH snow hood that could be pulled back to reveal Han Solo!! Not Good!

GOAL:

I wanted a neutrally-posed, detailed 4 inch-scale action figure of Captain HAN SOLO in his Hoth Snow Uniform. He had to reflect the scoundrel star pilot that seemed openly uncomfortable with the inhospitable snow environment of the planet HOTH. As seen in The Empire Strikes Back, I wanted the fur-lined hood of his overcoat to be able to be pulled back so that Solo’s face could be revealed underneath. Also, he had to be correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs). “There isn’t enough life on this ice cube to fill a space cruiser! Sensors are placed I’m goin’ back!

RECIPIE:

1) POTJ Han Solo Death Star Escape: (Head )
    2) SAGA Han Solo Hoth Rescue: (Full body (With legs surgically straightened into a neutral pose, blaster pistol)
    3) SAGA General Rieekan (Pelvis)
    4) POTF II Han Solo Hoth: (Snow cap and goggles (Hollowed-out to fit on figure’s head underneath snow hood)
    3) Navy Blue fabric (Used to create cloth hood for snow jacket)
    4) Craft fur (Used to create Fur lining of jacket hood)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...s/4929a598.jpg

Hey wait I see one problem. His jacket is supposed to be Brown. Everyone knows that! J/K. You did an outstanding job there. I'd like to just have this figure in a neutral pose. You say you cut the legs up and then glued them back togetter in a new pose?
    Last edited by Turbowars; 12-28-2004 at 03:16 PM.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

BROWN jacket????? His jacket is supposed to be BROWN????? Oh no!!!!!!

Now I'll have to make this action figure ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!! I KNEW I should have ajusted the colors on my TV better when I did my research!!!

LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!

Yes, I surgically straightened Han's Legs so that they were no longer doin' the "funky chicken". THAT part of this customization was such a JOY since it took FOREVER to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for looking turbowars!! And Very Best Regards,

Why did use SAGA General Rieekan (Pelvis)?
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Well, it was the SAGA General Rieekan pelvis (and hips) that allowed me to have a good starting point for the neutrally straight legs that I wanted this figure to have. The HAn Solo Hoth pelvis and hips (under the skirt) were sculpted to accomodate the "funky chicken" posed legs. It would have taken a considerable amount of re-sculpting to get the existing pelvis to accommodate surgically altered / straightened legs.