Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Tycho
    Hoshi is also starting to develop a little more.
    Now if only the Vulcans would start acting right...
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Yes, and the end shot of last night's episode was really creepy: it was one big life form that covered the entire planet!!!

I'm retitling this thread because we've moved past the Suliban Prison ep.

As for this week's ep, I thought it was a bit predictable, it smacked of "new-Trek" philosophy, that not everything is what it seems, despite its apparent actions, so long as nobody gets hurt. In the TOS ep "Devil in the Dark", the Horta isn't anywhere near as benevolent and there's a threat that's much more present, rather than some "let's all become one" web-monster. It's like most of the characters stand and gawk and be victims rather than run and shut hatches and set off intruder alerts - and that, to me, is sloppy writing.

I suppose it was better than a hit in the head, but we don't need more Voyager-esque light touch crap IMO.

As for the end shot, we've seen it before, with the changlings of DS9. This one was a little creepier-looking, but it wasn't exactly unexpected.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    As for this week's ep, I thought it was a bit predictable, it smacked of "new-Trek" philosophy, that not everything is what it seems, despite its apparent actions, so long as nobody gets hurt. In the TOS ep "Devil in the Dark", the Horta isn't anywhere near as benevolent and there's a threat that's much more present, rather than some "let's all become one" web-monster. It's like most of the characters stand and gawk and be victims rather than run and shut hatches and set off intruder alerts - and that, to me, is sloppy writing.

I suppose it was better than a hit in the head, but we don't need more Voyager-esque light touch crap IMO.
    I have kind of the same problem with Trek lately JediTricks. It's too bad because as I've been watching so many TNG reruns on TNN lately, I've started to appreciate how well TNG handled morals debates like this. Their discussions never seemed obvious or predictable, and the solutions always fit the problem.

I loved DS9 also, but towards the end of that show is when I think a lot of this moral moddle-coddeling started occuring.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Originally posted by JediTricks
    It's like most of the characters stand and gawk and be victims rather than run and shut hatches and set off intruder alerts - and that, to me, is sloppy writing.
    They said phase pistols didn't do anything but when they would shoot it it would obviously get harmed. Why did they not concentrate fire on all the tentacles that were going after Archer...while standing right next to the exit with someone's hand over the shut & lock button. Stuff like that is annoying...
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."

I noticed that too Basker, it clearly reacted in pain!!! I guess they meant it wasn't stunned, but that's definitely not what they said.

pthfnder, I think it was actually the last season of TNG where it just barely started to creep in, but DS9 had those instances too.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

SPOILERS

Here's the plot outline of one of the episodes for Wednsday (it's a double feature) and the reason why I'm posting it is cause it sounds a little cooky...and not really all that creative. It also just happens to be the one with the 3 people from the Aircraft Carrier Enterprise as NX-01 crewmen:

"When Archer and Trip are invited to a desert-like planet by an alien leader after they help fix his ship, they discover he is a terrorist who has lured them onto his planet under false pretenses. Meanwhile, T'Pol, while in command, faces a tough decision when she cannot locate Archer and Trip in the desert."

Desert...terrorist...wonder where they got that from?

Sounds like they were watching MSNBC and thought of the "two major crewmembers lost in no where" plot...

Originally posted by LTBasker

They said phase pistols didn't do anything but when they would shoot it it would obviously get harmed. Why did they not concentrate fire on all the tentacles that were going after Archer...while standing right next to the exit with someone's hand over the shut & lock button. Stuff like that is annoying...
    That really annoyed me too LTB. I literally started talking back to Malcom when he said that to T'Pol, saying something to the effect of "Then WHY did they let go when you shot them?" Lol, I promise I only talk to the TV when I get really upset
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Basker, I bet you dollars to donuts that we'll get the Voyager feeling to a mish-mosh of 2 or 3 old TNG plots out of that one.

I thought one "point" of this show was that the crew would make mistakes and then the crews that come in the future would learn from it.

OK - my darker rewrite? They kill it, only at the expense of killing their own people (the extras) with it. Then they learn that Phlox's specimen is sentient and Hoshi communicates with it. They go to the home planet and have to appologize. It gets entered into the log as one big first contact failure. That would be more realistic.

Take the movie "Alien" (the first one) for another example. If that happened on a Starfleet ship, they would all die while they were busy trying to hook the universal translator up to communicate with the darn thing. While it was ripping Data's guts out, he'd comment: "Curious. This is a fascinating new development in interspecies relations..." CLICK!

One other thing: do any of you still get the Star Trek Communicator magazine?

I read the fan letters and people are still upset about when Riker and Picard shot Cmmdr. Remmick so hard that his head and body blew apart and his insides exploded all over the place. (When there were creatures inside of him).

Star Trek fans (a significant number of them) have no stomach for good action and drama. Since when is the show supposed to be a "Christian family drama?" Star Trek was supposed to be almost a "space reality show." And some things in space are neither pleasant, nor non-violent. And some shows are more exciting with some action in it.

There are also a significant number of Star Trek fans who like to walk on the darker side and want the rest of the fans to get a backbone. Those fans are typically attached to the USS Defiant such that the defiance of the original "Niners" will only grow in numbers as the kinder, gentler Star Treks lose viewers, and Captain Sisko will win the real war in the re-runs all over again!
    Last edited by Tycho; 05-07-2002 at 12:37 AM.