Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    I didn't see anything wrong with that one episode of TNG with those little creatures, when I first saw it, it was more violent than I expected, but it was cool. I don't see how they could've not killed the people with the parasites in them - Crusher said that if she tried to remove it, it would kill the host. Did they ever continue that story? They said that the creature activated a homing beacon.

It's getting annoying with no crewmembers getting killed, I mean they've got all these problems, they shouldn't really have the ability to handle ALL of them on the spot. I guess Berman's "logic" on this is that since there is no way they could get more crewmembers is by going to Earth and starting over, that it's better to go with that it's more safe back then when it's unexplored and humans could still be amazed just by a giant space rock. (comet/asteroid)

I think TNG had quite a few good parts on action, I remember one episode where someone ended up sinking into the floor and getting stuck there. There was also this one part in one Borg episode, when they cut out a piece of the saucer.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Originally posted by Tycho
    Since when is the show supposed to be a "Christian family drama?" Star Trek was supposed to be almost a "space reality show." And some things in space are neither pleasant, nor non-violent. And some shows are more exciting with some action in it.
    Did someone in the Insider actually say that the show was supposed to be a Christian Family Drama? , since when?

LTB - No, they never did continue the second season episode where those aliens were trying to take over Starfleet. There were actually several episodes in the second season that reference the alien conspiracy in Starfleet, and the last episode that dealt with it left a big cliffhangar as to whether the aliens would return or not.

But they never bothered to follow up. It's a shame because I think that could have given them some great storylines. But I think the conspiracy deal was never very popular among the fans, so they dropped it.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

I would have liked to have seen "Conspiracy" continued.

But fans see whatever they want in Star Trek.

I think it strongly supports evolution.

Christian "creationists" like it because it supports strong morals, and shows decent people.

I like that too.

But they write in the Communicator saying it's just a show and that they think evolution and alien life are all just part of the fantasy appeal.

Since it is a show, they do have a point.

However, I liked my Deep Space Nine violent, seductively sexy, gritty, dirty, several times downright immoral, "By the Pale Moonlight" - when Sisko worked with Garack in a plot that assassinated the Romulan Defense Minister so they could bait the Empire into joining the war against the Dominion, thereby breaking their non-agression pact. Remember that one? Conduct unbecoming a StarFleet Officer no doubt, though Sisko didn't really know what Garack was up to until it was too late. Still...

A large segment of fandom out there wants a kinder, gentler Star Trek. To me, TNG was just that, and a mostly sterile show. It is my least favorites of the Star Treks I think, because it is just too "nice." When they did First Contact, it really showed what good entertainment that crew was capable of.

But hey, infinite diversity in infinite combinations, right?

Well, I like the down-and-dirty stuff! And I'm entitled to it!

Long live the 'Niners!!! Long live the Defiant!!!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Tycho - I loved DS9 too. The action, the writing, the characters (OBrien was one of my favorite charactes long before DS9 started)

And By the Pale Moonlight" is actually one of my favorite episodes. It's funny though; I thought the last season actually kind of waned for me. Particularly the very last episode which I really, really didn't like.

I did like "What you leave behind..." but I thought several things:

It would be like a ROTJ final battle:

Kira / Odo / Damar leading the ground war...

Worf / O'Brien leading the space battle, with Adm. Ross etc.

Sisko and Dukat in a final duel DURING the major war.

I think the writers wanted to do something different by separating the last Pa Wraith duel, but it didn't maintain the tension level that the main battle was working up to by coming at the end, during the course of the banquet celebration party after the battle (for most of the cast) was all but over.

Those who don't watch Trek, or DS9 particularly missed out on fights with more starships than had ROTJ, better space battle sequences, while still being made by the same people who made ROTJ in the first place!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Enterprise's 2 eps yesterday:

- "Fallen Hero" was easily the best ep of the season thus far for me, I was really impressed by how this was played out. It was smart, political, exciting, action-oriented, and had a Vulcan ambassador who actually ACTED like an ambassador! And to top it all off, it pushed the limits of the NX-01's technology without making "new advances" (though Reed's comments about firing Phase cannons at warp being "worked on" is ludicrous).

- "Desert Crossing" was really boring, I couldn't believe how badly this one dragged. Was it trying to be topical? Was it trying to be yet another precursor to the prime directive? (yes) There was just so little in here I wanted to sit through, it was more like watching "a very special episode of JAG".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I had to tape both of these episodes because I went out when they were on.

But I've since watched Fallen Hero and have to whole-heartedly agree with Jedi Trick's assessment. They did do a nice job on the episode and kept it moving along. T'Pol also had just about her strongest episode. I liked her more in this show than usual.

In the beginning of the episode, when she suggested that John and Trip needed some specific kind of relaxation, if I were one of them, I would have asked her if SHE was offering to help them find it! How could they resist the temptation to do just that?

Then I'd supply an entirely logical reason for why T'Pol should relax with me, interjected with the fact that human males could need this break about once every Seven hours...or was it minutes? Hmmm. A point to ponder. But definitely I'd mention the fact that I noticed she was concerned and that I'd take her participation in my stress release most graciously and understand that it was all entirely logical. Yeah. Of course I would
    Last edited by Tycho; 05-09-2002 at 09:10 PM.

Fallen Hero was pretty good, although it kinda bothered me when at WARP 4.9 they weren't having console explosions and considering they said they could hold it for only 10 minutes longer...and then they pushed it to warp 5. While the character of T'Pol was written better than in any other episode (though it seemed more like it was trying to attract horny people in the beginning...to fool them to watching the rest of the episode?) Jolene Blalock just doesn't seem to fit as a Vulcan... She seems more like she'd be in the 9 that 7 was from.

Desert Crossing I also found quite boring. The shuttle was quite far from the camp and it seemed that they were only after the camps but didn't really target areas around the camp, so why didn't they send a distress call which the people would've been able to pick up, find out they're from Enterprise, and then take them in for questioning cause that seems what would've been done if they had been caught. Or, they could've taken off, flown low away from the fire (did anyone see any other ships flying around???) and then take off...and if needed, Enterprise could've beamed them out when they got close enough. Or right when T'Pol found out that the guy was considered a terrorist it would've been logical to assume that they could have a way to destroy the shuttle - emergency beam up would've been the right step.

Oh and does this mean that they actually lost a shuttle?? It should've gotten blown up.
    Last edited by LTBasker; 05-10-2002 at 01:56 AM.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

You make valid points and I agree with most of what you wrote Basker, but I enjoyed the episode and found it an insightful episode into the cultivation of the prime directive.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    Enterprise's 2 eps yesterday:

- "Fallen Hero" was easily the best ep of the season thus far for me, I was really impressed by how this was played out. It was smart, political, exciting, action-oriented, and had a Vulcan ambassador who actually ACTED like an ambassador! And to top it all off, it pushed the limits of the NX-01's technology without making "new advances" (though Reed's comments about firing Phase cannons at warp being "worked on" is ludicrous).
    I only saw Fallen Hero, not the following ep, but I really liked it also. One thing I'm having problems with technology wise though, is the idea that the phase cannons are so much more powerful than their torpedoes. I know these probably aren't photon torpedoes yet, but it just seems odd to me that they can create energy weapons that can cripple vessels in one or two shots, but they can't create a physical explosive device that has any effect what-so-ever.